28 replies to this topic

#1 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 67383
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:01 PM

I had a crazy summer with starting a new business venture and the birth of my first child. I was unable to do anything to the k532 in my ht20 which was planned on getting some love, winter has arrived. I put my cab and big two stage back on. I am hoping to run it for the winter to keep my driveway cleared. It is leaking and burning a bit of oil. I plan to change oil in it, I am just looking for some suggestions as to viscosity and additives that anyone has found useful for getting by in a pinch for a season. We get temperatures rangin from 0c to -30c. It drips out the breather tube and smokes a bit from there as well.

On a side note, what have you guys used for setting carb and rpm properly?

Thanks
  • blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:11 PM

I personally never had any luck with the "Snake oil" products improving a worn engine but others may have something to share that may have worked. I'd suggest using the OEM Kohler oil as it has a special Zinc additive in it which off the shelf oils do not have.

• WrenchinOnIt, chieffan and captaindemo17 have said thanks

#3 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:46 PM

The only "snake oil" additive that I have ever had any luck with is Marvel Mystery Oil. And it does not work fast. If your problem is just wear, it will not help. If on the other hand the problem is something like stuck or sticky rings, it can help free them up. It will never improve gasket sealing or any other means by which oil can leave the engine.

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, Oldford and 2 others have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:52 PM

I use the MMO also. Helps keep the carbon cleaned out!

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:53 PM

I have used Lucas Oil Treatment with good results.  It is thick, and I mean THICK but blends with all type of lubricants.  Used in the hydraulic system of the tractor when loading bales with a grapple 8 at a time in 95°.  Hydraulics would get real slow due to thinning.  The oil Treatment improved that considerably.  Also have used it in the oil of an old tractor that was using oil.  Slowed oil burning it by at least 30%.

#6 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:14 PM

I was thinking of using Lucas stop leak which I have had some luck with in the past on another motor and adding some seafoam to my gas which I have also seen some results with. How is marvel mystery oil used? I am correct in thinking it is used as a cylinder soak directly into the cylinder ?

Also, are there additives that you guys have used in the sundstrand 15 hydro or should that be avoided?

Edited by AA Hayes, January 04, 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#7 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:20 PM

" It drips out the breather tube and smokes a bit from there as well. "
That engine has a PCV valve.
You should check it to see if it's clean.

Joe
  • Bolens 1000 and AA Hayes have said thanks

#8 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:12 PM

" It drips out the breather tube and smokes a bit from there as well. "
That engine has a PCV valve.
You should check it to see if it's clean.
Joe

I should point out that the PO has it just venting out the side of the tractor and not into the front of the carb like I believe it should without taking off the op metal shroud.

#9 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:38 PM

Well, that is interesting.
I would suspect that you have positive pressure in the engine,
Causing the oil to leak out (of the fill tube?).
The PCV valve would send the un burned gas from the crankcase into the carb, to be re-burned.
The "U" shaped tube would also provide vacuum to the PCV valve.
Those PCV valves are hard to find.
You might also want to check your fill tube cap.
If I recall correctly, they have a cork gasket in them.
Maybe you can renew it?
If you were to remove the fill tube cap with the engine running, oil would spray out of there all over the place!

Joe
  • WrenchinOnIt and Oldford have said thanks

#10 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:44 PM

My fill tube has no leak, it seals up well. But yes if removed it blows oil all over the place. My thought is he added a longer hose to the pcv in order to stop fowling plugs due to excessive oil blow by? Which I am hoping to limit over the winter before I am able to tear motor down next spring and summer. The crankcase should have positive pressure regardless correct?
  • Rock farmer said thank you

#11 WrenchinOnIt ONLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,514 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:43 PM

Well, that is interesting.
I would suspect that you have positive pressure in the engine,
Causing the oil to leak out (of the fill tube?).
The PCV valve would send the un burned gas from the crankcase into the carb, to be re-burned.
The "U" shaped tube would also provide vacuum to the PCV valve.
Those PCV valves are hard to find.
You might also want to check your fill tube cap.
If I recall correctly, they have a cork gasket in them.
Maybe you can renew it?
If you were to remove the fill tube cap with the engine running, oil would spray out of there all over the place!
Joe

My fill tube has no leak, it seals up well. But yes if removed it blows oil all over the place. My thought is he added a longer hose to the pcv in order to stop fowling plugs due to excessive oil blow by? Which I am hoping to limit over the winter before I am able to tear motor down next spring and summer. The crankcase should have positive pressure regardless correct?

K482 and K532 use a closed or positive type breather system. A nonserviceable breather valve is pressed into the breather housing which is assembled into the governor.If the valve is faulty replace the breather housing as a unit. A tube connects the breather to to the air inlet side of the carburetor. The flow of air to the carburetor thus creates a vacuum on the tube which pulls air (and fumes) from the crankcase to maintain a vacuum ( Kohler Engines ENS-607) the breather Kohler Part # A-277905-S is NLA

You have a tired engine sounds like, I'd leave as is try the "snake oils" and hope for the best.Rebuild or re-power in your future, how is it on power? They can use some oil and still be decent.I'm thinking fouled plugs more a product of blow by. Crankcase pressure on a oil pump system it has been my experiences any dip stick or fill tube cap off or out when running has coated said engine with oil everytime

Carb adj ( Side Draft) 2 turns out on main fuel needle after it bottoms and 1-1/4 on the idle ( furthest back to you setting on tractor).
Tuning (or trying) on a tired engine can get very frustrating and somewhat futile, RPM setting is with a tach 3600 max your governor will come into play with a load ( obviously) as stated here many time by many knowledgeable guys, get it warm adj the carb by ear remembering small adjustments wait , listen, continue or be satisfied your running with it sounding the best, make the adjustments at WOT ,realizing a tired engine may give you idle difficulties when you throttle down,(also my experiences, doesn't mean it's a fact,just my observations) may have to live with a happy medium, but if it is down on power don't lean it out, it will be tempting cause it sounds better.
Good luck

Edited by WrenchinOnIt, January 04, 2016 - 09:06 PM.

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, Rock farmer and 4 others have said thanks

#12 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:56 PM

Thank you wrenchinonit!

It seems a little tired but nothing to radical. I am hoping to minimize oil use, make it through the winter without and ill affects on the motor and a rebuild after the winter.

#13 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:33 PM

I use straight 30wt dino oil in mine year round.  partly cause i'd forget to change it in spring then get blowby.  In my old kohler singles, seems to help.  starts fine down to 20 degrees outside, i don't run them colder than that...might not have that option in canada...?  also i put a couple oz MMystery in the gas can to keep engine insides clean, good luck

#14 AA Hayes OFFLINE  

AA Hayes
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 324 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I got some MMO today, going to put some into cylinders to soak for a couple days adding a bit more daily for 3 or 4 days. Also going to add some with oil change, and run some seafoam in the fuel after I run a tank through the motor after the cylinder soak. Maybe this trifecta will be a magic winter solution. Figures crossed.

Edited by AA Hayes, January 05, 2016 - 07:50 PM.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,344 Thanks
  • 39,622 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:52 PM

You can add a little MMO to the gas also!