21 replies to this topic

#1 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:02 PM

My 1669L was idling and just stopped cold. It gets no spark at either plug. I cleaned the connectors on the ignition switch. I'm thinking it's a bad coil? I looked in the parts list but have not had much luck locating a coil. Any thoughts on this? I'm hoping for a reparable fix. I only use it in the summer as a backup mower but would like to get it running again. Thank you for any ideas.

• fogler12538 and chieffan have said thanks

#2 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:27 PM

not sure about coil on vanguard but a Briggs has a kill wire and if it has a ground it will not get spark. You should try with kill wire disconnected from coil and see if it will get spark. just remember for safety purposes the kill wire stops the engine
  • Husky, Oldford and chieffan have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:30 PM

Here's the most recent parts list from B&S

http://bsintek.basco...CDXDnfBhU7y.pdf

Strange that it just quit, could be a loose wire, normally a bad coil they start running poorly  and rarely they just quit without any warning

Have a sparkplug tester to see if your getting even a weak spark possibly? that would help narrow things down

If you need pricing on anything just give me a shout :thumbs:

• Husky said thank you

#4 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:40 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I determined this issue using a spark tester. Also, the last few times that I attempted to start it, it would not start. I opened the hood to look around and then tried again and it would start and run great. So I'm now leaning towards that ground wire and not a coil issue. I'll need to physically find that wire and see if it is shorted out somewhere. Thank you for the latest parts list I will have a look at that. I'll keep you posted on this, thanks again.

• Bolens 1000, jms180, fogler12538 and 1 other said thanks

#5 BolensChrisUK OFFLINE  

BolensChrisUK
  • Member No: 77828
  • 287 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:42 PM

Has it got a low oil cut out??

• Husky said thank you

#6 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:41 PM

Has it got a low oil cut out??

Not sure on the cutout but the oil level is good. Thank you for that suggestion I can double check that circuit is working as it should.

#7 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 860 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:10 PM

On my 16hp Vanguard V the lug for the kill wire sticks through a notch in the shroud behind the engine tag.  There is a wire that runs to it under the shroud, if that gets shorted it'll shut you down too.

BTW - 2 coils, under the shroud, at each cylinder right against the flywheel.  If both cylinders have no spark it's unlikely to be a coil issue.

• blackjackjakexxix and ClassicBolens have said thanks

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:23 PM

There is a shut-off on the carb for fuel, but don't think that works with spark or does it??  Sure there isn't any box in the wiring that is kinda of a computer and needs input from several sources to run the tractor?  My PK"s have that. Can't see a thing on these until you take the blower covers off, then it all shows.

#9 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 10:42 AM

On my 16hp Vanguard V the lug for the kill wire sticks through a notch in the shroud behind the engine tag.  There is a wire that runs to it under the shroud, if that gets shorted it'll shut you down too.

BTW - 2 coils, under the shroud, at each cylinder right against the flywheel.  If both cylinders have no spark it's unlikely to be a coil issue.

Well I had a look for that lug and wire and no luck. I can't find it, should be easy to find? This is the Vanguard V twin with horizontal shaft. I could not find it in the parts list. Like you said where both plugs have no spark it is not a coil issue. I'm really thinking that something is shorted out. I'll mess it some more.

#10 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:06 PM

All the vanguard v's I've seen have kill wire bolt as stated above on shroud  just above starter nose. You will probably have to pull shroud  and check kill wire that runs from one coil to next coil to bolt in shroud. The bolt is insulated  by plastic maybe the nut vibrated loose shorting out.

• Husky said thank you

#11 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 860 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 01:21 PM

All the vanguard v's I've seen have kill wire bolt as stated above on shroud  just above starter nose. You will probably have to pull shroud  and check kill wire that runs from one coil to next coil to bolt in shroud. The bolt is insulated  by plastic maybe the nut vibrated loose shorting out.

Excellent description of where mine is located!

I'm on my way to the shop to work on my mower project.  I'll snap a picture for you.

**EDIT**

Picture attached.  The kill wire connector is at the end of the white wire in the picture.  I'm pointing at it with a screwdriver, but easier to find following the wire.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160110_1409065181.jpg

Edited by MiCarl, January 10, 2016 - 03:59 PM.

• Husky said thank you

#12 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 05:09 PM

Ok guys, you gave me a good location on this. I think I was looking at the wrong area. I was over by the big shroud at the rear of the engine, not the smaller shroud near the starter. I may go out with a flash light to have a look as I'm quite curious. Thank you for all your time on this.

#13 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 860 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 07:00 PM

Ok guys, you gave me a good location on this. I think I was looking at the wrong area. I was over by the big shroud at the rear of the engine, not the smaller shroud near the starter. I may go out with a flash light to have a look as I'm quite curious. Thank you for all your time on this.

Grounding that post kills the ignition.  Quickest thing to test is pull your lead off and see if it'll run.  You need to be ready to ground it if the engine starts - otherwise it'll run until the fuel is gone.

There are wires under the shroud (and flywheel too, I think) that go to the back side of the connector.  If they're grounded that'll kill the spark too.  If yours doesn't start with the kill lead disconnected let me know and I'll throw a meter on mine to find out what the resistance is on one that works.  Then you can check yours rather than pulling it apart for a visual inspection.

#14 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:39 AM

Hi MiCarl I found that post within 10 seconds of opening up the hood. Your picture gophers explanation did it. So my next test is to go out there with the wire disconnected and my spark tester in place. I'm guessing that I don't get spark which would tell me that the wire is shorted out somewhere. I will need to trace that wire as it is blue and runs into the harness. I don't see the other end of it anywhere under the dash pane. Maybe it runs under the shroud/flywheel like you were talking about. Luckily this is not a top priority as I only use it as a spare mower a couple times in the summer. 

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 860 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 07:51 AM

When you disconnect the wire you eliminate the harness as your problem.  So if you still don't have spark don't bother chasing the blue wire.

That is not a ground lug to the engine - it's an external connection to the wires under the shroud.  If you don't have spark with the blue wire pulled the wires under the shroud might be the problem.

When I get to the shop this morning I'll throw an ohm meter on mine and see what it reads with the harness wire disconnected.

*****EDIT*****

My kill lug on the engine reads 148.9 kilo-ohms to ground.

Edited by MiCarl, January 11, 2016 - 08:59 AM.

• Husky said thank you