29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:54 PM

Seat Pan Clean Up

Give the seat pan a good sanding to remove any rust - watch out for any weld slag or sharp edges that could puncture or rip your hands or new cover.  Again I will emphasize to wear gloves, safety glasses, a good mask and other protective equipment - SAFETY FIRST!  Check any welds and make sure they are in good shape and not cracked or broken - now is the time to repair any weak spots in the metal seat pan.  You may wish to sand blast or use some other cleaning method to get rid of any rust - on this particular seat pan it was in very good shape for the age but it did have a couple of weld spatters around the two holes at the bend that could have punctured the new cover so I removed them with a grinder.  Also time to check the mounting bolts or holes and run a tap or die over the threads to clean any burrs or rust form them - nothing more frustrating than trying to mount your finished seat and finding out the threads are damaged or in poor shape. You may wish to take some measurements of the seat pan to help identify it should you get another tractor the same model in the future that does not have the correct seat on it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Width At Front.jpg
  • 2 Depth At Bend.jpg
  • 3 Depth In Centre.jpg
  • 4 Height At Back Centre.jpg
  • 5 Width Edge To Edge At Back.jpg
  • 6 Width Edge To Edge At Front.jpg
  • 7 Width From Bend To Edge At Front.jpg
  • 8 Width From Bend To Lip At Rear.jpg
  • 9 Width From Bend To Edge At Top Of Back.jpg
  • 10 Bolt Spacing.jpg
  • 11 Length Along Edge.jpg
  • 12 Width At Top Of Back.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, January 17, 2016 - 04:40 PM.

• chris m said thank you

#47 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:03 PM

Painting The Seat Pan

Once you have the seat pan cleaned up paint it with a good quality paint to protect the metal from rusting.  This style of seat also has a metal lip that can try and cut the cover over time with use so I got some automotive door edge moulding and put it over the metal lip.  Make sure the paint has cured sufficiently and that the seat and door edge guard are at room temperature before you install it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Bottom View.jpg
  • 2 Bottom View.jpg
  • 3 Top View.jpg
  • 4 SIde View.jpg
  • 5 Front View.jpg
  • 1 Front View.jpg
  • 2 Rear View.jpg
  • 1 Original Cover Cut From Seat Pan.jpg

• limebuzz and chris m have said thanks

#48 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Cutting New Foam - The Back

Once you have found some new foam the correct thickness and firmness you will have to cut it to fit your seat pan.  I have found an electric knife does a good job and will give a very nice finished edge if you are careful to support the foam and maintain the knife at ninety degrees to the foam - there are several good videos on you tube that show how to cut foam padding - here is one https://www.youtube....h?v=wqodjNexy7w

I started by cutting the foam slightly higher and wider than the back of the seat taking into account that the foam would be cut on an angle at the bottom corners to fit down to the bottom of the seat.  I marked out the back piece at the bottom to fit the lower bends of the seat pan and then once I had it fitting there I marked and cut two slits about 3/4" deep in the back side of the foam at the bend, clamped it onto the back of the seat pan and marked the outer edge with a sharpie marker.  Then I did a test fit to see how it fit and was happy with the results.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 2 Bottom Of Back Foam Cut To Shape.jpg
  • 3 Slits Marked In Back Foam.jpg
  • 4 Marking Outer Edge Of Back.jpg
  • 5 Front View.jpg
  • 6 Outer Edge Marked.jpg
  • 7 Outer Edge Cut With Electric Knife.jpg
  • 8 Test Fit.jpg
  • 9 Test Fit.jpg

#49 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Cutting New Foam - The Bottom

With the back foam padding in place you can mark and cut out the lower section using the same method.  As you can see even with the slits the foam tends to lay flat rather than conform to the contours of the seat pan so make sure the lower padding is pushed tight against the back padding and down against the seat pan before you mark it.  Again I did a test fit and things looked good. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Slits Marked And Cut.jpg
  • 2 Clamped In Position To Mark Outer Edge.jpg
  • 3 Clamped In Position To Mark Outer Edge.jpg
  • 4 Outer Edge Marked.jpg
  • 5 Outer Edge Cut.jpg
  • 6 Electric Knife.jpg
  • 7 Bottom Foam Cut.jpg
  • 8 Depth Of Slit.jpg
  • 9 Test Fit.jpg
  • 10 Fit Without Hand Pressure.jpg

#50 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Installing The Cover Over The New Padding

Time to install the new cover over the new foam.  You may wish to wrap the new foam in plastic to keep it from getting wet should the seat be exposed to water.  Start at the back and making sure the padding is against the back of the seat slide the new cover down over the back - you may have to work your hand up the back under the front of the cover to make sure the top of the padding is up against the top of the cover.  Once the cover is over the back make sure the draw cord is on the outside of the seat back and then roll the two sides and front of the cover over the bottom padding at the outside and front edges.  Then you can turn the seat over, pull the draw cord snug and tie it temporarily.  Once tied you can flip the seat back over and see how it looks to be fitting - again you may have to work your hand up under the cover to make sure the foam is out at the outer edges of the cover as it should be.  Continue to reposition the cover and foam until you achieve a good fit - you may also have to loosen or tighten the pull cord a few times and pull the vinyl around the cord along the edge to get rid of excess puckers.  I have included a picture of how the new cover looked over the old padding for comparison - I think you will agree the new padding makes the cover look a lot better.  The new cover does tend to curve a little bit along the lower pleated seam without any weight on it as you can see in the pictures but with a little weight it does lay down better the way it should ( I set the stapler on it for weight).  The original padding was glued to the seat cover and you may wish to do the same to your new cover and padding - I still have to make another cover and as a result I do not want the foam glued to a cover at this point.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 New Cover Over Old Foam.jpg
  • 4 Side View.jpg
  • 1 Corner View.jpg
  • 2 Curves With No Pressure.jpg
  • 3 Weight Of Stapler Makes It Lay Flatter.jpg
  • 5 Rear View.jpg
  • 6 Top View.jpg
  • 7 Bottom View.jpg
  • 8 Bottom View.jpg

• limebuzz, CRFarnsworth, chris m and 2 others have said thanks

#51 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 04:36 PM

I was able to find a foam store that can supply foam in various sizes and densities so I decided to go with a 1-1/2" thick Grade 2545 product that they recommended rather than the padding I showed in the previous posts - the density of it is very close to the original rebonded foam that the manufacturer used and has a nice "plush" feel to it.  I made patterns out of paper using the old padding as a rough guide.  I drew around the old padding on a piece of masking paper and then I used the square and ruler to come up with a pattern for the bottom and back that was symmetrical to mark out the new foam with. Once the new foam was marked out I cut the pieces out using an electric knife.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 New Foam.jpg
  • 2 Paper Pattern For Bottom.jpg
  • 3 Back And Bottom Padding Marked Out.jpg
  • 4 New Padding Cut Out.jpg

• chris m said thank you

#52 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 04:56 PM

Then I glued the padding to the back side of the pleated section of the cover.  I originally tried gluing the padding to the outer pieces beside and above the pleated area as well but they looked stiff and there was still a bit of a roll from front to back (you can see it in the last picture of this post) when I put the cover on so I tried just the pleated area with the second cover I was making and it looked better so I broke the bond of the padding around the pleated area and let it dry and tried it again and it looked better as well.  Since I just wanted to bond the pleated area to the padding I marked the padding where the pleated area would come in contact and only sprayed adhesive in that area.  I did the lower section first - once I sprayed the adhesive on I centred the padding on the underside of the cover and then turned everything over so the padding was on the table and starting at the centre applied pressure with my hand and worked my way towards the outer edges of the pleated area to make sure the padding did not bunch up as it bonded to the backside of the cover.  Then I sprayed the adhesive on the back and back padding where I wanted them to bond and stuck them together - applying pressure in the centre and working my way out to the edges. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 5 Ready To Apply Glue To Pleated Area.jpg
  • 6 Area Of Lower Padding Marked Out For Glue.jpg
  • 7 Adhesive Sprayed On Pleated Area.jpg
  • 8 Bonding Cover To Padding.jpg
  • 9 Front View.jpg
  • 10 View Underneath.jpg
  • 11 Front View Underneath.jpg
  • 12 Glue Applied To Back Pleats.jpg
  • 13 Area To Apply Glue To On Back Padding.jpg
  • 14 Back Padding Glued On To Pleats.jpg
  • 15 Rear View.jpg
  • 1 Cover Glued To Full Padding.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, March 10, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

• chris m and Chubien have said thanks

#53 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,132 Thanks
  • 1,203 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Here are the results with the padding glued to the underside of the cover.  The cover now lays flat on the bottom of the seat and there is a nice crisp bend where the pleats go up the back.  As I stated I made two covers for this seat and have included pictures of the second cover not mounted on the seat.  You can see how the cover almost forms itself with the padding glued to it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6 Seat Cover On Seat.jpg
  • 7 Side Vew.jpg
  • 8 Different Angle.jpg
  • 9 Corner View.jpg
  • 10 Rear View.jpg
  • 11 Two Covers.jpg
  • 12 Cover Not On Seat.jpg
  • 13 Bottom View Of Cover With Padding.jpg
  • 14 Covers Stacked.jpg

• Tennblue59, chris m, toppop52 and 1 other said thanks

#54 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE