• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• Member No: 8018
  • 26 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 12:28 PM

I recently picked up a T758es.  When looking at front of tractor, wheels are pointing outward.  I did a rough measurement and they appear to have almost 2 inches of toe out.  When you drive it the front tires leave a ridge in gravel from tires pushing gravel out.  There is no adjustment and everything looks original, what could I be missing?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:22 PM

Someone ran into something with one [or both]tire[s] and bent the spindle[s]. Put your steering wheel straight.  See which tire is aimed wrong.  Thats the one that needs straightened.  Probably need to remove that spindle from the axle and put it in a good quality vise.  Then with a long cheater pipe you might be able to bend it back where it needs to be.  If you can't bend it cold it'll need heated with a torch. 

Best of Luck!!

Edited by Gtractor, January 04, 2016 - 01:23 PM.

• Coventry Plumber and chieffan have said thanks

#3 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• 26 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:30 PM

You have a point and the answer is both wheels.  I did center the steering wheel and both wheels are off, one more than the other.

• Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Well the good news is the tires sticking out so far in front saved the cast grille. 

Sounds like you need to straighten both spindles.  Without going out in the cold and looking I think the tierod is just a flat bar on the Panzer.  Might be easier if you could just measure how long the tierod needs to be to make a new one the right length to compensate your bent spindles and cut out a new one. 

• hddlh and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:57 PM

I agree with Gtractor,  Make a new tie rod.  Just remember to point the wheels in about 3/16 - 1/4" max.

• hddlh said thank you

#6 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• 26 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:27 PM

Bent spindles might be explained by the fact the front axle was broken and rewelded sometime in it's life.  Thanks for the advise.

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:38 PM

You need to put an ad on here looking for an axle assembly then.  I bet someone has a parts tractor.

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:13 PM

If the axle was broken then it's more than likely bent also.Spindles might not be bent.

Found these on craigslist.Not sure if he'll ship

http://pittsburgh.cr...5340862459.html

• hddlh said thank you

#9 Lmiller3358 ONLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:07 AM

Just saw a Panzer front axle on the Worcester Ma  CL here the other day and there was some Panzer spindles on Ebay also !

• hddlh said thank you

#10 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:34 PM

I Have a pair of panzer spindles that have 2 sets of holes in them. Ill take a picture of them. I just make new ones out of 3/4 steel

#11 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:47 PM

Actually, it's not all that unusual for the front T-758 wheels to be toed in or out. Mine are toed in (looking at it from the front of the tractor). In other words, the front of the tires are pointing toward each other.  If you can't find any obvious damage to the spindles or tie rod mounts, the best thing would to either make new tie rods like the original or make rods that use adjustable ball joints at one end. That way, you'll be a able to adjust for the toe in or out but they won't look original. If you want to make flat ones like the originals, keep in mind that the measurement between the two holes in the tie rod bar is critical so measure carefully. Being off just a little can make a big difference. You can try buying used ones but unless you can try them out before buying, they might not be any better than the ones you have on there now. 

You didn't include any pics so we can't tell how bad the wheels are out of wack. Is it hard to steer? If it seems to steer ok the way it is, I'd just leave it alone unless you just don't like the looks of it.

Al

#12 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 08:53 PM

Warren Pull 2015-18.jpg The pic gives you an idea of what I meant by saying my wheels are toed in a bit. Like I said - it's not all that unusual.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:23 PM

Mine are also toed out. In thinking that I'll just buy adjustable tie rods meant for go karts. Then I can dial in to exactly perfect alignment. Tie rods are pretty cheap on eBay.

#14 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• 26 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 28, 2016 - 03:49 PM

The tires are toed out 2" and when you drive the tractor the front tires leave a ridge of dirt and trying to push the tractor is almost impossible.  I can't find anything that looks out of place and only possibility seems to indicate spindles are bent.  Since they need to come together by an inch, I can't imagine its factory the way it is.  I'm thinking about grounding out the welds that hold steering arms to spindle, resetting alignment, then rewelding steering arms.  That and a coat of paint will keep it looking original.

#15 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 06:44 AM

The tires are toed out 2" and when you drive the tractor the front tires leave a ridge of dirt and trying to push the tractor is almost impossible.  I can't find anything that looks out of place and only possibility seems to indicate spindles are bent.  Since they need to come together by an inch, I can't imagine its factory the way it is.  I'm thinking about grounding out the welds that hold steering arms to spindle, resetting alignment, then rewelding steering arms.  That and a coat of paint will keep it looking original.

That sounds like a good course of action. Suggestions made by others are merely blanket suggestions due to the lack of visual confirmation of the problem. If you could load a photo or two with a tape measure showing just how far out it is with close ups of the steering we as a group may be able to offer a better solution. Otherwise, keep us posted on your progress.

• hddlh said thank you