• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • Member No: 79393
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:27 AM

So just picked this up today. Run's like a champ works well just missing the bar that raises and lowers the snow thrower. I have the mower deck it seems complete just needs to be cleaned up some. :) So far loving what I am learning about these little mowers/tractors. Will use it this winter and then do a restore over the summer. Not sure of the year or model of this little guy.

Scott..

20160103_212932.jpg

20160103_212958.jpg

20160103_213022.jpg

20160103_213040.jpg

• Alc, Montgomeryluv15 and Genem have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:30 AM

Welcome to GTtalk.  That looks like a very nice tractor and in very good shape.  Maybe one of our members can help you with the arm your missing.

• zaipai said thank you

#3 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !  Very nice GT you just got , hope it does you well

• zaipai said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 12:29 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• zaipai said thank you

#5 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:46 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  That looks like a very nice tractor and in very good shape.  Maybe one of our members can help you with the arm your missing.

That would be awesome I plan to go over the entire site tonight after work. Its just that one arm, the PTO works the snow thrower works the tractor works I just can't raise or lower the thrower at all. It would seem there is a rod that goes between the thrower and the linkage under the tracktor. Still trying to figure out what it is however on one PDF it looked like part 12659-01 Lift Rod Assembly.

Thanks again!

Scott.

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,805 Thanks
  • 2,207 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:42 PM

:welcometogttalk:

• zaipai said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,508 Thanks
  • 39,733 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:48 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! That is a very nice looking machine as it sits.

• zaipai said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I had 2 of those Hydro 16s.Absolutely loved mine other than the frame on Both of them cracking Just behind the engine.

And they have heavy steering with a plow or blower attached.Has something to do with how the engine hangs out over the front axle.This makes the rear end very very light with a plow or blower on it.You might want to find yourself a couple sets of wheel weights.It's going to need a good 200lbs of extra weight.You will be spinning all over the place without extra weight even with Chains.

Hydro 16 is the model

Gilson/Montgomery Wards were pretty straight forward on there Modeling in the 60s 70s and 80s before Lawn Boy bought them out in 1988 and Toro bought THEM out in 1989.

Blower lift rod pages 33 and 34.Part AE Part # 12659 Left Rod Assembly

http://gardentractor...-parts-manuals/

This is an older model blower here.All mounting hardware is the same.It had some decent Pics.

http://gardentractor...71-snow-blower/

I've been looking for Manuals for that exact tractor for Years and have never found one.The Closest that I did find was this manual.Every part on it is the same Except for the hood.Just a different shaped hood in preparation for there Twin Cylinder Briggs powered Hydro 16 the next year.

http://gardentractor...75-gil-334190a/

• Genem and zaipai have said thanks

#9 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:34 PM

I had 2 of those Hydro 16s.Absolutely loved mine other than the frame on Both of them cracking Just behind the engine.

And they have heavy steering with a plow or blower attached.Has something to do with how the engine hangs out over the front axle.This makes the rear end very very light with a plow or blower on it.You might want to find yourself a couple sets of wheel weights.It's going to need a good 200lbs of extra weight.You will be spinning all over the place without extra weight even with Chains.

Hydro 16 is the model

Gilson/Montgomery Wards were pretty straight forward on there Modeling in the 60s 70s and 80s before Lawn Boy bought them out in 1988 and Toro bought THEM out in 1989.

Blower lift rod pages 33 and 34.Part AE Part # 12659 Left Rod Assembly

http://gardentractor...-parts-manuals/

This is an older model blower here.All mounting hardware is the same.It had some decent Pics.

http://gardentractor...71-snow-blower/

I've been looking for Manuals for that exact tractor for Years and have never found one.The Closest that I did find was this manual.Every part on it is the same Except for the hood.Just a different shaped hood in preparation for there Twin Cylinder Briggs powered Hydro 16 the next year.

http://gardentractor...75-gil-334190a/

Wow, thanks that helped allot. At least now I have parts lists I can go by. Frankly I never heard of these mowers until I saw this one for sale the more I read about them the more stoked I am to have one. It has a bit of a transmission leak and there seems to be a short some place and its not charging short of that however it does run nicely. I will check the frames make sure there are not cracks. I will look for weights I am hoping I can find some that will work that don't have to be for this exact model it will make finding them easier. Any help on where to get parts would be great. I know I need at least one head light, that lift bar assembly for the snow thrower and the skies on either side of the snow thrower the ones on it look like they have been on there since it was made and they have been worn thin.. Might be able to use generic ones still looking into it.

Again I really appreciate the help, I really need it for the next time it snows or I would just spend time looking this stuff up and when I find it I find it.

Off to do some more work on it. Really a good zen after a hard day at work.

Thanks,

Scott..

• EricFromPa said thank you

#10 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:20 PM

A word on the charging system. Those tractors are setup weird. The engine has a dual leg alternator, one side is rectified and charges the battery only at low amperage. The engine must be at full throttle and they do not charge at high voltage, maybe 13.5V. The other leg is unrectified and operates the headlights on 12V AC current, again, the engine must be at full throttle to operate the lights at full brightness. If you look, your tractor will have a two position light switch, this setup is why. Lights run on battery with the engine off, and run off the engine with it running. Do not re-wire it any different, the rectified circuit cannot handle the load.

To check the charging system, check the battery voltage with a digital meter, engine off. Start the engine and run it to full throttle. Allow a few seconds for the alternator to excite, then check your voltage at the battery with it running. Any increase over your initial reading and the charging system is working. Both of mine only run about 12.8-13v depending on temp. If you get much below full rpm, the charging stops.

Edited by Sprint 6, January 06, 2016 - 12:25 PM.

• zaipai said thank you

#11 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:05 PM

A word on the charging system. Those tractors are setup weird. The engine has a dual leg alternator, one side is rectified and charges the battery only at low amperage. The engine must be at full throttle and they do not charge at high voltage, maybe 13.5V. The other leg is unrectified and operates the headlights on 12V AC current, again, the engine must be at full throttle to operate the lights at full brightness. If you look, your tractor will have a two position light switch, this setup is why. Lights run on battery with the engine off, and run off the engine with it running. Do not re-wire it any different, the rectified circuit cannot handle the load.

To check the charging system, check the battery voltage with a digital meter, engine off. Start the engine and run it to full throttle. Allow a few seconds for the alternator to excite, then check your voltage at the battery with it running. Any increase over your initial reading and the charging system is working. Both of mine only run about 12.8-13v depending on temp. If you get much below full rpm, the charging stops.

Very good info. After reading this I went outside to look and test the current and found this.. The 2 wires coming from the motor are not connected (red/black) there are two wires from the wire harness not connected either and end in that space (White/Black) so I will have to track back and see. I was going to ask why there was that switch thought it was odd to have engine on and engine off for the lights, so that is good to know thanks! Going to go tinker some more tonight. Maybe I will find some more things to fix. :) Wait so there would be a regulator/rectifier correct? If so I will have to find it and test it.

Scott..

Attached Thumbnails

• EngineWiring.jpg

#12 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 03:34 PM

I believe the rectifier is covered by the starter drive cover, can't remember now. You have a bonafide mess right there. Where that red wire is going in, there should be a connector, then that round hole should have a twist in connector with another wire.
  • zaipai said thank you

#13 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 07:32 PM

I believe the rectifier is covered by the starter drive cover, can't remember now. You have a bonafide mess right there. Where that red wire is going in, there should be a connector, then that round hole should have a twist in connector with another wire.

So good news, I tested both wires coming from the motor, the one has around 35+ VAC and from the other wire 13.5+VDC so I feel if I hook them up correctly I should get a charging battery that was of course at full throttle. To be fair for the amount of time it will take to clear the drive of snow I can run it and the head lights and still have juice its a new battery and a trial run seems to bare that out. However if I can get it to charge all the better. I did find out that the oil in the transmission was so low it was not registering on the stick. I removed the drain plug (about 3 qts cane out) as that was leaking a lot of the oil and cleaned it up and put it back and filled it up and so far its holding nicely. So the only thing left is to smooth the running out, the plug was black as night. An oil change on the motor is probably also in order. There does not seem to be any cracks around the motor on the frame so that is good. At this point I have plans to completely refurbish it this summer, I was able to find the rod to lower and raise the snow thrower and over the summer I will look for a snow plow for it since that would be better for us and the tractor. :)

I want to thank everyone that not only replied to this post but to those that posted other stuff on the forum it was an incredible resource and I would still be scratching my head over it all.

When I am ready to start the refub, I will start a new thread and post the progress along with pictures and video it should be a fun project.

Thanks again to everyone!

Scott..

• KennyP said thank you

#14 PGHsteelworker ONLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 11:32 PM

This wiring diagram is for a gear drive but should be help you out with the charging circuit.MW Gilson (18).JPG

• KennyP and zaipai have said thanks

#15 zaipai OFFLINE  

zaipai
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 11:57 AM

This wiring diagram is for a gear drive but should be help you out with the charging circuit.attachicon.gifMW Gilson (18).JPG

Heck yea it will be a big help thank you very much!

Scott..