Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Antique?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I have a 70 Mustang and I don't consider it an antique ,,, more CLASSIC.. :dancingbanana:

Oh, a 70 Mustang. I love Mustangs and had a 70 myself at one time. I miss that car so much! Sorry, I don't want to get off track here. Just remembering.
  • limebuzz and sodisr have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:24 PM

Farm Tractors and Garden tractors, while related shouldn't be under quite the same rules IMHO.
For Farm Tractors, pre 1960 is more or less the benchmark. The Nat'l Massey rules are 1957, but that had as much to do with merger completion than anything else.
Do to the shorter production and the perceived shorter lifespan, I think GT's (and possibly LT's ) should be sped up. Kind of like Dog Years they, maybe considered Classic at 15 and Antique at 25. Vintage in the car world is the oldest, so 50 or older should be Vintage?

In my mind, that makes sense... But it's scary in here.

I guess it boils down to this: We (the Collectors) are the definitive experts on the topic and probably the best to define the terms.
We are also possibly the only ones who give a hoot.

This may end up a very interesting discussion and possibly after much deliberation, a poll.

Who knows, we may be making history :D
  • MolonLabe, Paulgo and jimmy G have said thanks

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:50 AM

I believe some of you are partly right. The only time these definitions have any official meaning is when it is backed by an official governing body. That may be a state or federal government for taxing purposes or it may be an organization such as an auto club. Other than that it is purely subjective and in advertising it's just hype.
  • MH81, propane1 and jimmy G have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:46 PM

Do to the shorter production and the perceived shorter lifespan, I think GT's (and possibly LT's ) should be sped up. Kind of like Dog Years they, maybe considered Classic at 15 and Antique at 25. Vintage in the car world is the oldest, so 50 or older should be Vintage?

:D

Heck using that rule most of our tractors would be vintage in a few years.

I'd have a hard time buying a 1996 craftsman tractor and considering it a classic....

My working girl 1973 cub 128 would be an antique! The John Deere 110 I'm looking at would be vintage.

It's hard to say though like you said garden tractors came into the picture much later than cars. So the same rules can't apply.

Good thing about this its not important
  • LilysDad, Paulgo and jimmy G have said thanks

#20 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 09:02 PM

I consider antique being 20 years plus.

I wouldnt consider a 1995 mtd as a "Classic" I would consider it junk.

In all seriousnessi dont call tractors antiques i Call them classics or vintage.

I save the word Antiques for nick nacs and old toys etc.

The "Classics" in my book are 1980 and older. And "Vintage' 1965 and older.

Have a good one, Luke

• Paulgo and jimmy G have said thanks

#21 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 310 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 11:46 PM

I believe some of you are partly right. The only time these definitions have any official meaning is when it is backed by an official governing body. That may be a state or federal government for taxing purposes or it may be an organization such as an auto club. Other than that it is purely subjective and in advertising it's just hype.

#22 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 310 Thanks
  • 242 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:04 AM

The old iron show here in Walloon lake Say's 1960 and back on farm tractors but have been seeing some 60s in the parade lately, the GTs seem to be mostly mid 60s to early 70s
  • LilysDad and Paulgo have said thanks

#23 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 12:08 AM

Interesting subject and lots of food for thought. I like MH81's idea of a poll to set a benchmark. :thumbs:

• LilysDad and Paulgo have said thanks

#24 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,666 Thanks
  • 7,684 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 08:18 AM

The old iron show here in Walloon lake Say's 1960 and back on farm tractors but have been seeing some 60s in the parade lately, the GTs seem to be mostly mid 60s to early 70s

This would tell me that any thing older than mid-60s are of increasing importance.
  • MolonLabe and jimmy G have said thanks

#25 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 11:32 AM

Antiques ,,  Classics ,, Vintage...??   Just beware,, Thou I like the thought of  GTTalk starting a benchmark..  If it were to become common name,,  Any of you ,, that would need a part for your'e Antique , might have driven the price of the part 3X it's current value cause now it is Antique ..  And the way some of the sales are going on  the internet .. people are already trying to reflect that in their prices..  

I say leave well enough alone..  Call them what you want,,  enjoy the hobby ... :smilewink:

This may not apply to our site supporters and venders here , cause this is their income.. BUT their costs would go up and trickle in to the cost of the rest of us  

Hope this all makes sense............                                                                                     sodi

• MH81, LilysDad and propane1 have said thanks

#26 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 609 Thanks
  • 349 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 01:13 PM

I have cubs from the 70s and 80s and I refer to them as vintage, I could safely call them classic if we were referring to cars.

#27 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 08, 2016 - 10:57 PM

Most of the shows around this area, well up until a few years ago anyway, would only allow farm tractors to show if they were built prior to 1972. Garden tractors were allowed to show if built prior to 1975. Again, that was up until a few years ago.

With tractor shows becoming more and more popular now days, I've seen farm tractors at shows that have been built in the early eighties, and garden tractors as new as 1995. Normally it doesn't bother me one way or another as to how new or old a tractor is, however I don't feel that any tractor built after 2000 is worth showing, as it hasn't had the time to show it's age or has had the opportunity to classify itself with some of the older work horses that have been around for 50 or 60 years. 

Some of you guys are bringing into the mix and comparing the tractors to cars. I, as most of you, enjoy seeing antique and classic cars also, however I have been to many cars shows already that have had many of the newer cars displayed such as the newer Camero's, Vette's, Mustang's, and Silverado pick up's with lift kits. So even the car clubs won't turn away a display piece, no matter what the year or classification of the vehicle is.

We are all in this together, and we are all proud of what we own, collect, and restore. By putting cut off dates on what years can show and what years can't, is only limiting the hobbyist from enjoying what they do, and being proud of their accomplishments. I say let them in regardless of the manufacture year, and just be content to have another fellow member interested in the same things we all are.

Edited by johndeereelfman, January 08, 2016 - 10:58 PM.

• MH81, Paulgo and olds45512 have said thanks

#28 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 07:49 AM

You guys are making me feel really old!!!   :D   :D   :D

• KennyP and Greasy6020 have said thanks

#29 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,947 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 09:45 AM

I think it is a generation thing. 30 years ago I thought the equipment my Dad's age was all antiques. And very impressed with all the new. Now what I remember as new my son sees as antiques.
  • grnspot110 and Paulgo have said thanks

#30 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 11:30 AM

Yep, age of observers, not the tractors. My SIL thinks 60's are antiques, way before he was born, and grandkids think my OLD 80's GT's are cool, being so old!  They were born in 90's, about anything at My house is old to them, heh!

• MH81 and Bmerf have said thanks