• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:36 AM

When it comes to tractors, at what age do they become antique? Classic? Vintage?

Paul

• classic and chieffan have said thanks

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:47 AM

I don't hear 'antique' used a lot, but hear vintage and classic quite often.  I'd be interested to hear folks opinion.  I think of vintage as anything from the era where tractors coming...50's and 60's or older.  Classic to me has a 'look'.  It's the machines that appear a bit more modern, have the safety stuff and some creature comforts, but that have been no longer manufactured for 20+ years.  I think it's about as subjective as you can get.

• classic and chieffan have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,169 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:49 AM

In my mind:  antique is an item that is out of production and at least 50 years old.  Classic is an item and that is out of production and was much more popular than the normal like items.  Vintage is something that is old and in decent condition.  Just my opinion and what I have been lead to believe.  Maybe some one more knowledgeable will come on and correct me if I am wrong.

• wilberj, EricR, jd.rasentrac and 2 others have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Just have to remember one thing, the older we get, the younger the "antiques"

• grnspot110, Alc, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Do you mean garden tractors or farm tractors or both together.

Noel

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:17 AM

I think there is a different criteria for different things.  Cars for instance.  I've always heard that is a car is 25 years old, it's an antique where as if it's 10 years old, it's a classic.  This is (or was at one time) set by the plates you could put on the vehicle.  In PA (again, this may have changed) you could buy classic plates if the car was at least 10 years old and antique plates if the car was at least 25 years old.  Would that apply to tractors?  I have always used that criteria for tractors be it right or wrong.  Maybe it depends on how long the item is designed to be relevant which, with today's technology, is shorter and shorter.  For instance, the computer I used 10 years ago would be considered antique (almost prehistoric actually) because technology has come so far in that time span.  With the definition of durable goods being "anything that lasts 3 years" it's anybody's guess as to what is considered antique.  All I know is, I cannot even begin to replace my mower and appliances every three years.  That's just crazy.

• Gtractor, Alc, Username and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:29 AM

If it were a car in pa:   Historic PA License Plates

Multiple license plates are available from PennDOT for historic vehicles:

• The Antique Motor Vehicle plate is for vehicles that are:
    • Over 25 years old (based on the year of manufacture).
      AND
    • Close to their original design and condition, either through maintenance or restoration.
  • The Classic Motor Vehicle tag is for vehicles that:
    • Were made at least 15 years before the year you apply for the tag.
      AND
    • Maintain most of their original appearance and condition.
  • The Vintage Motor Vehicle license plate is:
    • An authentic PA license plate issued the year your vehicle was manufactured that you have acquired yourself. (PennDOT does not issue these plates.)
      AND
    • For vehicles made from 1906 to 1976.

• David Brown, TomLGT195 and Paulgo have said thanks

#8 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Do you mean garden tractors or farm tractors or both together.

Noel

Either/or. In my case, I have garden tractors from the 70's and 80's.  Paul

• propane1 said thank you

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:44 AM

From what I was told once for farm tractors was 1960 and older farm tractors were considered antiques. I don't know about garden tractors , but I consider 1980 and older garden tractors are antique. It may depend on location some too, garden tractors were not popular in my area in the sixties and seventies. Some garden tractors like the forties and fifties were never sold here in my area. Same with 1910/1930 farm tractors were never sold in my area very much. Just my opinion, for what it's worth. As time goes on, these dates would move ahead too.

Noel
  • Paulgo said thank you

#10 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:58 AM

U.S. customs laws define an antique as something 100 years old,according to what I just read. There are a bunch of different definitions regarding the word antique, but in my opinion regarding garden tractors, antique garden tractors would be pre 1960 and not the mass produced garden tractors. The late 50's early 60's brought about the "modern" garden tractor as far as I'm concerned. These include the Simplicity/Allis tractors, Sears Suburbans, Cub Cadets, John Deeres, etc. I consider these tractors classics, since they were mass produced and what most people can relate to or have memories of. Garden tractors from say the mid 70's or so and later are just older garden tractors. The word vintage can basically be put before anything that's fairly old, but seems to be used more often when a garden tractor is found in it's original paint, tires, etc. Well that's my take on it, opinions vary, and the age of the person classifying a garden tractor has a lot to do with how the garden tractor is classified.
  • Alc, TomLGT195, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Regarding engines, to me the old briggs letter series engines would be considered "antique". Once the number series engines came out, the Briggs engines retained the same basic look for decades. Here is a model A and a model ZZ Briggs. In my mind these look "antique". The old Briggs models 14, 19, 23, etc. I look at as "classic".

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151011_121018-1-1.jpg
  • 20151011_120928-1.jpg
  • $_3-32.jpeg

• Alc, karl, Buddy and 2 others have said thanks

#12 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,244 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:08 AM

I usually refer to the cubs I prefer as "vintage"  Not sure where I picked that up at, but that's how I've been referring to them for awhile now.

• Alc, BNK and Paulgo have said thanks

#13 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:45 AM

I have a 70 Mustang and I don't consider it an antique ,,,    more  CLASSIC.. :dancingbanana:

• Alc, Buddy, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:19 PM

I am very interested in this thread!

I can tell you that folks with items in the consignment shops and flea markets use the word VINTAGE waaaay to much and expect top dollar for their "vintage" junk!

• propane1 and Paulgo have said thanks

#15 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 636 Thanks
  • 1,221 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:23 PM

I have been a hot rodder all my life.....Back in the 70s, a car was considered a hot rod if it was pre 1949. Well, the 70s was almost 50 years ago now, yet we kind of look at that 1949 number as gospel. 1949 Fords were about the 1st with the fenders molded to the rest of the body instead of having separate bolt on fenders...I kind of think that has something with choosing that date...I may be wrong.

I kind of think its along the same idea with the garden tractors......When the tractors were built out of solid steel and cast iron engines sort of defines them as classics (or whatever you want to call it)....Newer tractors are built with more tin, aluminum engines and plastic parts. Harder to call them classic........Dont know if that makes any sense, but thats what I think about it

• sodisr, classic, propane1 and 2 others have said thanks