11 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Planted Blackberries and Blueberries today. Both are new to me. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 11:05 PM

You May be looking to buy some netting soon.
The English Sparrows try to wipe us out every year.
There are some sprays, I think Hot Pepper Wax makes a spray for fruit for example.

Need a picture of the first blueberry pie next year. Good luck & enjoy.

Edited by MH81, April 24, 2011 - 11:09 PM.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 07:39 PM

Love blackberries and raspberry too! Growing up, we had this huge patch of raspberry's that we had to knock down paths through to get into the patch to pick them all. We could go out and pick gallon's at a time! (And that is what we did not eat while in there!) Raspberries are infinitely better when warm from the summer sunshine!
Any tips or tricks with the berry patches would be great!

I am working on putting in a berry patch here, both black & raspberries. I am putting 6 to 9 plants, I do hope the grow and spread fast!

On another note, my rhubarb patch is right about the perfect size now. It's just popping up and it's about a 4 foot circle of plants. I had posted on Freecycle last spring for some plants and I would dig them myself neatly and not leave a mess. I had a LOT of people reply to me on that.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:23 PM

Hope you enjoy your blueberries and blackberries .Might want to get the
soils ph checked . Lets us know how they turnout.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 12:14 PM

Love blackberries and raspberry too! Growing up, we had this huge patch of raspberry's that we had to knock down paths through to get into the patch to pick them all. We could go out and pick gallon's at a time! (And that is what we did not eat while in there!) Raspberries are infinitely better when warm from the summer sunshine!
Any tips or tricks with the berry patches would be great!

I am working on putting in a berry patch here, both black & raspberries. I am putting 6 to 9 plants, I do hope the grow and spread fast!

On another note, my rhubarb patch is right about the perfect size now. It's just popping up and it's about a 4 foot circle of plants. I had posted on Freecycle last spring for some plants and I would dig them myself neatly and not leave a mess. I had a LOT of people reply to me on that.

Good luck with your Berry Patch!! I put in 2 Blackberries and 3 Black Rasberries(coming) Then there are 3 Kinds of Red Rasberries).
The wife ordered a variety pack from Gurneys with 3 plants of each kindof Red.
She had been breaking me up buying Rasberries! She is an outstanding cook and makes all kinds of sauces with berries. I love them so don't mind, but I've got the space so should be growing our own.
I have set up 6- 30 ft rows 10 ft apart( Have posts on each end so I can string wire to trellis and train). They would not have to be that far apart(6-8 ft would be plenty) but I did it so I could make 3 passes with my mower between,( I have lots of space so I'm trying to fill it up) hoping to cut that to two if and when I geta 60" mower. My intention is to plant 1 plant near each end and one in the middle.
Then let the canes get long enough to bend over and bury to fill between. I watched my dad do that when I was just a kid.

I'm not pretending to know what I'm doing! The last time I tried to start a rasberry patch,my father in law let his brother park two trucks on top of my plants. So I'm just going on what I have read and been told.

Edited by JD DANNELS, April 25, 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hey, you know.... I have something you might like. I must preface this by saying that I do not follow along with the whole "Green Movement" going on. Even though I live in a very liberal area, that is not me. Now, I am probably "greenier" than many of those people around me living in 400k houses and a brand new Prius (the car shows everyone they are very green, right?) (Plus, the subscription was really cheap)

Anyway..... I had to say that, because I have to admit, that I do subscribe to "Mother Earth News" magazine. (Ya, I know... but hear me out first!) The magazine is really pretty good, and only hitting the kook fringe end of it maybe 5% or 10% of the time. In all, it's pretty good. Like I said, subscribing to it, was almost like getting a Prius for a company car. I mean, yea... it's great in many ways... but people automaticly think you are a hemp wearing nut job.

So, what just happened to be in one of these was a really good article on growing berries like this. If you want, I can mail it out to you if you want it. You might even like the magazine... I was shocked that I did. Drop me a PM.

PS: a quick car check in the driveway.... #1 - 1997 Chevy Suburban / #2- 1983-1997 Jeep CJ/YJ/TY mutt / #4- 2010 Exqunoix #5- My son's 2002 GMC Sonoma. So, three SUV's and a pick-up.
No hybrids in my driveway! :bigrofl:

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 05:48 PM

For 10 or 12 yrs back in the late 70's-80's I tooo subscribed to Mother Earth News.
My wife and I were very much into the Self-Sufficency, live off the land lifestyle to supplement our income.
We had about a 30,000 sq ft garden and managed it with a big rear tine tiller.
And it got us through some tough times, when I was laid off at the factory.
I spent a lot of time at the Public Library and read all the books I could find on gardening,Orchards and self Sufficency.
To the point I'm not sure what;s an original thought or something I read?
During that time Mother Earth News got too political and started supporting some things I could not so i dropped my subscription.
About this time in 1986(April 28) I had to take a job in Des Moines and two hours a day commuting cut into my time to work in the garden. That is not to say they don't have a good magazine, and one can get a lot of good information from them.
I will PM yo with an address.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 06:14 PM

I planted 4 blueberry bushes last year. One died outright, two were razored off during the winter by a rabbit and the last one will be closely guarded.

Good luck with yours. Once they get established, they are nice.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 10:27 AM

planted two Red Black mix rasberries and 4 lilacs last night. That may have been a mistake, we had frost this morning?
Hope that's the last of the frost!!
Tracking last night shows another package coming from Burpee's today. Wife was not sure what was in that one.
She thought, more rasberries, Horse Radish and asparagus? Will see tonight.
Firefyter EMT, I got the magazine you sent yesterday. The wife put it on the bed so I did not find it till I was ready for bed.
Looks to be very interesting! I'll read it tonight.
Thanks a Bunch!!

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Hey, you know.... I have something you might like. I must preface this by saying that I do not follow along with the whole "Green Movement" going on. Even though I live in a very liberal area, that is not me. Now, I am probably "greenier" than many of those people around me living in 400k houses and a brand new Prius (the car shows everyone they are very green, right?) (Plus, the subscription was really cheap)

Anyway..... I had to say that, because I have to admit, that I do subscribe to "Mother Earth News" magazine. (Ya, I know... but hear me out first!) The magazine is really pretty good, and only hitting the kook fringe end of it maybe 5% or 10% of the time. In all, it's pretty good. Like I said, subscribing to it, was almost like getting a Prius for a company car. I mean, yea... it's great in many ways... but people automaticly think you are a hemp wearing nut job.

So, what just happened to be in one of these was a really good article on growing berries like this. If you want, I can mail it out to you if you want it. You might even like the magazine... I was shocked that I did. Drop me a PM.

PS: a quick car check in the driveway.... #1 - 1997 Chevy Suburban / #2- 1983-1997 Jeep CJ/YJ/TY mutt / #4- 2010 Exqunoix #5- My son's 2002 GMC Sonoma. So, three SUV's and a pick-up.
No hybrids in my driveway! :bigrofl:

Not to High jack the thread, but I used to get that back in the 70s. Really like some of the neat toys they have plans for. Didn't know it was still around.

#11 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 03:01 PM

Glad it got there for you safe & sound. I really have to plant mine in the yard soon!

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 03, 2011 - 03:49 PM

Ducky, I agree they did some neat stuff! Do you remember the Garden Tractor They built using a VW Transaxle?
I kept that copy for years, with the intention of building one and never got it done.