• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 05:24 PM

I have a Kohler M12 engine here that I bought a brand new OEM Kohler fuel pump for. I hate it, as the original was metal, this is a plastic POS. but the metal ones are long since NLA.  This pump is the "universal" kind, universal as in the inlet/outlet fittings are designed to snap into teeth on the respective sides of the pump body, where you align the teeth where you would want to, to turn the fittings in what ever direction they need to go in order to accommodate connecting them to the pump.

I had bought 2 of these pumps at the same time since I have 2 identical engines here, same spec number and everything and I'd already robbed the original pump from this engine to put onto my other one since this engine is basically a spare for that machine. Since buying these pumps, the threads on rebuild kits for the original style pumps came about on the forum here but as things figure, I'd already disposed of the original ones.   Can't keep everything....

here is the issue;  Not a big deal I guess, but it is aggravating. On the original pump, the inlet was on the side closest to the aluminum block closure plate, and the outlet was on the side away from that, meaning that the outlet line from the pump to the carb was bout a 4" "straight shot" out of the pump and into the carb, both on the side as each other. I had other reasons to do so, but I just looked up something about these engines on Bing Images  and every pic that I see shows the orientation of inlet and outlet the same way.  The new pump though? According to the "inlet" and "outlet" arrows on the pump body, fuel flows the opposite way thru the fuel pump body. meaning that the outlet hose coming from the pump to the carb inlet has to cross under the carb instead of just running up the side of the pump body and carb bowl. 

This makes no sense to me, though many old part numbers supersede to this pump. I am all for simplification and having to deal with less different versions of any given part among an engine series but What were they thinking here?  I don't remember a cast iron Kohler having to have the outlet from the pump/inlet to the carb, having to cross under the carb to be able to connect the 2 components.

I don't have the box no more from this new pump, but looking in a catalog I have here I can see that this pump that I bought is PN 47 559 11-s    I remember comparing the 2 new pumps to each other when I 1st got them and both were marked the same. I'll try to locate the other new pump, I have not installed it on anything yet, it is still in the box that way I can verify that PN for sure.

Yes, I have the pump installed "right side up"....
Are the arrows in the pump body mis-stamped? 

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 05:47 PM

My thinking is as less and less people bought them they made a "universal" 47-559-11 that would fit most models to keep the engines going.

There was a press in and threaded version for this model, the other obsolete numbers were

47-559-08  & 47-559-04

I would follow what the arrows say on your pump, the new ones do point the same direction

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:06 PM

OK thanks, this pump is new, bought within about the last 18 months-ish.

As I remember I tried getting the threaded version and none were available to be had at the time.... I think that is the (PN ending in "-10-s" instead of "-11-s)

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Only one available is the press in one today.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:06 PM

Only one available is the press in one today.

what a shame

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,201 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:19 PM

Closest to "old style" I can get you is one like this thats threaded, runs about $115

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600.jpg
  • s-l16001.jpg

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:29 PM

well I do appreciate the info, since I have what I have I think I will run that unless / until there is a problem. I do have one metal bodied one here that has the primer lever on it that I'm sure would need a rebuild to be any good (not off of this engine, but one from an old "K")  and the one off the identical engine to this one looks like the old style but is a plastic body (used to be on "this" engine)

When I bought this fuel pump I bought one for this engine and one as a spare for its twin which is still running fine on my ZTR but which I have replaced the fuel pump twice in the last 5 years or so with used ones I had laying around.

This engine is freshly overhauled, not been fired or even had oil put in it yet since the overhaul. so I figured fresh engine deserved a new pump (hope that wasn't a mistake as "cheap" as this new pump looks to be made)

Edited by dodge trucker, January 03, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 13, 2016 - 06:25 AM

next question. Can I just unscrew the pump halves and turn the 2 parts of the body so that the inlet and outlet match the original configuration? I haven't had one of these new style cheapie plastic pumps apart yet.