#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 11:16 PM

Well,  been fighting a sinus infection but with the hep of the wife and son we got the auger out and took it to the big garage to work on it. Heated it up and straightened the vane on the auger and re welded it to to the auger. Cleaned the shaft for the bearings and go it ready to go. Going to repaint the auger the Jake off red to make up for the heated spots. The bearings are " Gritty " when I turn them. There is no place to grease them, and it really is not made to separate to grease the ball bearings. I plan on drilling the rivets out ( three each bearing) and cleaning and re greasing them and putting them back together with steel  rivets. I'm thinking  they will work. Next is to put it back together and try it out. i am waiting for a friend to get back with me on an block of nylon to make a extra chain tensioner. Here are a few pics.  Thanks                                                                                                                      Roger

DSCF0569.JPG

bearing from the drive side. Back side view

DSCF0571.JPG

Same bearing front (outside) view

DSCF0574.JPG

Straightened vane

DSCF0573.JPG

Welded (tacked) at the end. Not a great weld but good enough.

• Alc, KennyP, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:06 AM

That should work unless you hit something. :smilewink:  Good luck with the bearings!

• hamman said thank you

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:38 PM

Got the bearings apart and cleaned and re-greased. Just need to re stake the rivets to make sure they are tight before putting them back on. I used a wheel bearing grease that is approved for water. I did notice that when I had it apart the race had some cracks in it that made me think it had gotten hot. I also noticed that there was some rust where the balls had set during the off season on the race. They were a little dry and somewhat dry. I used alcohol (isoprophyl) to clean them with.   More pics when I get it back together and running. Thanks                                                                                                                                                               Roger

DSCF0578.JPG

Just opened up and my, my very dry

DSCF0581.JPG

What they look like inside

DSCF0582.JPG

Ready to be re-staked and put back together

• Alc, KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 02:29 PM

Looks like that went fairly easily!

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:07 PM

Yes it did. The worrying was for nothing so far. Have it nearly back together and will have it running by tonight. I was surprised how easily the bearings came apart. I did notice though that there was space enough for one more ball in the race on both bearings. I'm guessing and only guessing here that it was done that way to leave room for grease. I filled it good with grease and staked the rivets back and go them on. More later.                                   Thanks.                       Roger

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,582 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 09:41 PM

Well it's back together and running. Had to do a little hammer work on the auger case due to the large rock making a big dent in it. No pictures because it's -5* F and the wife says two and a half days of her car sitting outside was enough. Ran it for a bit and it seemed ok. When I put it back together I spun the auger and it spun a lot quieter and seemed a lot tighter. It sound quieter also. Parked in the warm garage alonside the wife's car.   Thanks guys for following.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Roger

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 11:30 PM

That is great Roger! I don't think I ever took one of those bearings apart yet. So it was great to see the pictures, thanks.

I bet it will work better than ever now! :thumbs:

• hamman said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 04:27 AM

Those bearings were built when PRIDE was job 1 !! You would never see that longevity from anything made in today's world!!
Stamped, hardened, high quality steel plates turned into a bearing!!! Thats a piece built to last! Today you get a powdered metal bushing on a soft steel shaft held in with rolled rivets...
Nice job Roger!!
  • Alc, hamman and chris m have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 05:19 AM

Way to go! Good to hear it is running well!

• hamman said thank you