• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Idk what every one has but my plow for example has nuts and bolts fastening the plow lift rod to the hydroS and plow. So so much play in the joining areas.

Last month I went to our hardware store and found a clevis pin that I shortened to use attach the clutch pedal to the master in my MG. That's when I got the idea to replace the nuts and bolts with clevis pins and hitch pins. Used a washer on the head of the cleavis, between the hydro arm and plow lift rod, then shimmed with more washers to get a snug but not tight fit between the hydro arm and hitch pin. Worked fantastic. Plowed last week twice. By the time I was done u had screw drivers and vise grips in place of the fasteners because they all rattled loose and came apart.
  • Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#2 a.graham52 OFFLINE  

a.graham52
  • Member No: 72357
  • 88 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:51 PM

Pics of pins

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160102_123808.jpg

#3 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 04:08 AM

I understand completely.

Got all my linkage perfected but I still have trouble with my plow [blade] feet getting knocked lose and lost in the snow. 

I've safety wired the keepers and the feet still get away sometimes.     

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:03 AM

I went to bolts with the nylon ring type locknuts. They don't seem to let go but, take awhile to put on. Good Luck, Rick

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 11:16 AM

Been there on PK's, new and old. I do like noted above, put on hard bolts and fiber lock nuts. If you get fine thread, even better. I have even used those thin lock-nuts or jamb nuts behind that fiber, probly overkill tho. Later years of PK"s had a weird clip for those kind of pins. Was kinda bent to circle around the pin, when point when in to bolt, the circle then had to be snapped over the bolt end as it was pushed in. Kinda hard to get off tho when you wanted to. I have never seen where you can buy them either. They were kinda light wire and after a few times start to get bent out of shape. New ones worked well. I'ld have to take picture to show one, not sure what they were called. But for now, the bolt and fiber-nut works for me.

#6 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 01:15 PM

Been there on PK's, new and old. I do like noted above, put on hard bolts and fiber lock nuts. If you get fine thread, even better. I have even used those thin lock-nuts or jamb nuts behind that fiber, probly overkill tho. Later years of PK"s had a weird clip for those kind of pins. Was kinda bent to circle around the pin, when point when in to bolt, the circle then had to be snapped over the bolt end as it was pushed in. Kinda hard to get off tho when you wanted to. I have never seen where you can buy them either. They were kinda light wire and after a few times start to get bent out of shape. New ones worked well. I'ld have to take picture to show one, not sure what they were called. But for now, the bolt and fiber-nut works for me.

safety lynch lock pin