Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What a pain!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 04:45 PM

I have a Dell N5030 I inherited from our granddaughter when she decided she liked Apple better.  She had been having issues with the HDD so I took it stripped off Windows and naturally put Linux on it.  It worked fine for a while but eventually the HDD went out.  I've been dragging my feet of replacing the HDD because you have to split the case to get at it and two I really haven't needed it.  Then NewEgg made me a deal I really couldn't resist for a new HDD.

Well the new HDD came today so I split the case only to fine two ribbon cables with straight ends connecting the two together.  I also figured that the HDD would be bolted in like all the other HDD's I've replaced.  So I get on line and find out I have to pull the keyboard to get at the ribbon cables. So I pull the keyboard get the case split only to fine the HDD just slides into a socket and is not bolted in so I could have very easily slide the old one out and the new one in without pulling the keyboard or cables. :wallbanging: :wallbanging: :wallbanging:   So what should have been a 30 minute job at best took a bit over and hour.  Once I had the cases back together then I had the new HDD up and running in about 10 minutes, updates took a bit longer.

So if you have a Dell, especially a N5030 you can replace the HDD by simply taking the screws out and just barely open the case and slide the HDD out.  It is on the right side in front.  Then slide the new on in and install your OS.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#2 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:11 PM

Dont take this wrong but , I have no ideal what you are telling us , O k, yes i am computet ? ? " dumm"  so i guess i  will just :beerchug:  :ah_shoot: 

Patrick.

• hamman, HDWildBill, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:18 PM

At least you have experience with one of those now!

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:19 PM

That's odd, all of my laptops have had simple mechanisms to remove the drive. all three of my Dells have had a simple hatch on the bottom with a couple of screws, some others have had a pull out tray on the side of the laptop.

In my experience, HDDs and Ram are the simplest things to add to a laptop. DVD drives and screens can be a bit more problematical.

That said, I haven't bought a new laptop in a few years, so the new stuff might be more challenging.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#5 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:27 PM

That's odd, all of my laptops have had simple mechanisms to remove the drive. all three of my Dells have had a simple hatch on the bottom with a couple of screws, some others have had a pull out tray on the side of the laptop.

In my experience, HDDs and Ram are the simplest things to add to a laptop. DVD drives and screens can be a bit more problematical.

That said, I haven't bought a new laptop in a few years, so the new stuff might be more challenging.

That has been my experience as well.  From what I saw it seems the "N" series are internal.  I have a really OLD Dell and it has a tray held in by 1 screw that houses the Hard drive.

• KennyP, Chopperhed and chieffan have said thanks

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,655 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:29 PM

Only been into a couple laptops, and both were a pain. Don't remember the brand, but both had processor cooling fans go out.  I got both repaired, but almost lost all signs of religion in the process!  :smilewink:

• KennyP, JDBrian, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Only been into a couple laptops, and both were a pain. Don't remember the brand, but both had processor cooling fans go out.  I got both repaired, but almost lost all signs of religion in the process!  :smilewink:

Fan repairs are a royal pain, so are keyboard swaps, screen repairs, speaker repairs, and motherboard swaps.
  • KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:44 PM

You were probably smiling the whole time.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:57 PM

That has been my experience as well.  From what I saw it seems the "N" series are internal.  I have a really OLD Dell and it has a tray held in by 1 screw that houses the Hard drive.

Only been into a couple laptops, and both were a pain. Don't remember the brand, but both had processor cooling fans go out.  I got both repaired, but almost lost all signs of religion in the process!

Probably why they make them throw away.  I take the sides off my CPU and blow the dust out about once a year.  That's as far into them things as I want to venture.  I can screw them up quick enough and bad enough from the keyboard.

• KennyP, HDWildBill and Chopperhed have said thanks

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:25 PM

I'm with Little Irish men.....What?? :smilewink:

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#11 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:20 PM

Look at it this way, needed to replace the solenoid on the GT, looked like the whole steering tower had to be removed to access the solenoid. After removing the steering tower, an access hole appeared next to the solenoid, so the steering tower didn't need removed, only the access plate. Hope this relates for the non PC minded. 

• HDWildBill, EricR, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#12 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:33 PM

Look at it this way, needed to replace the solenoid on the GT, looked like the whole steering tower had to be removed to access the solenoid. After removing the steering tower, an access hole appeared next to the solenoid, so the steering tower didn't need removed, only the access plate. Hope this relates for the non PC minded.

Yup, been there, done that, LOL

#13 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • Member No: 61934
  • 664 Thanks
  • 386 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 11:20 PM

O k  . . .  O k   apples and  . . .  what  ever?  I am not looking to replace a solenoid or what ever. I know  how to remove  a steering tower ,  so what are you telling  us . An  access hole  next to the appeared.  ? ? ?  Samuel Jackson said is best. . . . English mother $%^&*( _)(*&   Do you speak it .? 

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:48 AM

Little Irish Men - He's just using a Garden Tractor repair experience as an analogy to Bill's Hard Disk Drive replacement job.  I think we've all been there at some time. You spend a lot of time disassembling something only to discover afterwards that there was a much easier way to do it. 

• HDWildBill and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#15 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:50 AM

D'oh!

• HDWildBill and Little Irish Men have said thanks