• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bigger Hammer OFFLINE  

Bigger Hammer
  • Member No: 77985
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 04:38 PM

I have this tractor sitting off to the side. I picked it up some years back along with a mower deck and snow blower for it. The transaxle is in tough shape, the differential is welded solid and the last time I had it running, something in the shift forks came apart and it is stuck in between gears. I got to looking at it the other day while working on another garden tractor. Where would the serial and model numbers on this tractor be located? It has been repainted at one time but it appears that it was pretty rusty at one time (pits in sheet metal and frame) and I am having diffuculty in locating a number. It has a Tecumseh engine.

It may be a while unitl I get to this project, but I figured I would start gathering information on it.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,456 Thanks
  • 6,346 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:29 PM

Many Horse have a metal riveted on tag on that dash support. Way up at top, facing the driver at times, and other times on left side about up as high as can go. This is little older than I've had, so not sure this applies to this model. Sometimes they get pulled off, and also painted over.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 411 Thanks
  • 214 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hammer, the serial number should be located at the top left of the hood stand in the area circled below.

• Gtractor said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,756 Thanks
  • 4,262 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:52 PM

Cute little tractor.  Be something the grand kids could have a ball on.

#5 Bigger Hammer OFFLINE  

Bigger Hammer
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 09:13 AM

Thanks for the information, if that tag was anymore obvious it would have bit me, I guess I should have just bent over futher! Anyway, the tag reads model L 155 serial 10956, so it loooks like it is a 1965 Lawn Ranger and lists a 6hp Tecumseh engine, which it what it has, and a Wheel Horse 5048 transaxle. Are there parts still available for this transaxle? I may be better off trying to find a entire replacement unit as I think the differential is welded...

Edited by Bigger Hammer, January 03, 2016 - 09:14 AM.

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 440 Thanks
  • 396 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:14 PM

Looks like you are missing one digit in the serial number.

Pull the shifter out and center the two shift rails up in the hole with a long screw driver. Reinstall shifter. When you leave a gear and go to neutral hold the shift rail there for a few seconds before leaving that rail to go to the other. The bores the rails slide in are blind and with oil on them vacuum or pressure develops and makes the rail move on it's own. Waiting gives it time to dissipate. They eventually fixed it by grinding a flat on the rails which can easily be done when apart.

What makes you think the differential is welded? If jacked up turning one wheel should cause the other to rotate in the opposite direction. Lots of used parts available and many new as well.

If it won't turn at all one of the differential through bolts may have broken or backed out and that is preventing it from turning. Don't force it. Easy fix.

#7 Jimkemp OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 75149
  • 205 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:54 PM

I have a whole axle out of a 1966 , 156 , I think they are the same , PM me if its something you want

#8 Racinbob OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted January 09, 2016 - 02:29 PM

The 5048 differential was a one year only thing and only on the Lawn Rangers. In 1966 they used a 5053. Other than the differential they were the same and the unit out of a 5053 likely will work but you'd have to check things out carefully. Check out what Garry mentioned and go from there. While you have it apart check the shifter rails. They ground a flat on them lengthwise to help the suction issue. Starting in 1966 they used the 56xx rails but some of the 35xx rails had the flat too. I haven't been able to determine exactly when they started doing it. Knowing that Wheel Horse liked to use up parts it could be possible you don't have them. If not, It's an easy fix. Pop the forks off and grind a flat.

#9 Bigger Hammer OFFLINE  

Bigger Hammer
  • 6 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 05:56 PM

I believe it is welded because when it was shifting properly, it acted like it had a straight axle, it would spin the inside wheel the same speed as the outside when turning, causing the tire to spin, even on concrete. Because of this, it is a real bear to push around the shop.

Thanks for the insight into the shifter, I will be sure to give it a better look when my other projects allow me to

Edited by Bigger Hammer, January 11, 2016 - 05:57 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheel horse, lawn ranger