• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 01:41 PM

My Atlas snow blower has a 4 HP Briggs model 100252 engine. The machine , including the engine appears to be in very good condition.I could see the crosshatching in the cylinder bore when I had the head off. I have not had it running, since I bought it , summer before last. It has good strong spark and has good compression. I could feel some " blowback" through the carb so I removed the head and lapped the valves. Now it will run for a few seconds , only with the choke closed. I wish that I had looked closely at the valve timing related to the piston travel while I had the head off. I am going to remove the crankcase side and check the timing marks.
  • chieffan said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 02:15 PM

I have a 3 hp with the same problem..  Dang Pulsa-jet carbs are a biotch!!  I clean the carb/jets up and it runs a bit then it clogs up again!!  It isn't fun pulling the carb off for sure!  I would pull the carb back off and check the valve clearance to be sure things are up to snuff..  When you lapped the valves in you may have lost clearance on the intake.  (Reason it puffs back..)  If all is OK there clean the carb out..  Hope you have better luck than I did..  

And if you learn any tricks/secrets with that carb I'd sure love to know as I still have that one in the back of the barn..  (not for lack of trying  I wanted to run it over after 15 or so tries so it want away..)  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,315 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Look HERE

#4 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy