15 replies to this topic

#1 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:51 PM

Alot of you may not know this. But you don't need to buy the expensive tecumseh honda and some briggs carb replacement carbs. I have a small engine shop and this is what I do. If you go on ebay you can get brand new tecumseh carbs for about 15 dollars.they are aftermarket. It is cheaper than buying some carb cleaner and a rebuild kit. The are great for when you can't get the mixture chambers clean and they still run stubborn. I always give my customers this option. I have used many and have many on my tractors mowers and snowblowers and they work great. To find the right one for your tecumseh you can type in the part number if they don't have that part number here is how to find one that will work . Just type in the hp of your engine and carburetor after it .tecumseh only has 4 series of carbs . Series 3 and 4 being for 8 hp and up. It will bring up a carb for a snow king and will work great on your engine if you search the hp. The snow kings will have a primer barb but you just plug it off. You can take your choke lever out of your carburetor and the throttle plate with your holes if they are different . They will fit right in the new one. You can also find honda and some briggs 2 piece flo jets for under 20 dollars. I just out a 10hp snow king carb on my hh100 and it runs like a top. Look at the pictures of them some will be adjustable jets that's the kind you want and look at the pictures for your fuel inlet so you can pic straight or 90*. I have probably put these on 50 engines with great results. All the different factory numbers are for fixed or adjustable jets , fuel inlet barb angle and the choke and throttle plate holes which makes for alot of combinations . Like I said you can switch out your choke and throttle. There are only 4 carb series. The only ones you can't get are the early lme style you have to switch to the newer lme snow king style. And the old lmh, and whg. I have not tried them on the lmh, whg. Because they are totally different. I figured this may help someone . I don't even buy carb kit for my motors now I just replace. Sorry if there is typos. It's hard to do this on my tablet.
  • limebuzz, dthomp17, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:51 PM

And I have taken some new ones apart and they are made good inside
  • chieffan said thank you

#3 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • Member No: 59269
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 12:23 AM

It depends what I'm working on if I replace the carb. Mostly Tecumseh push mowers and definitely the one with the plastic bowls, Some newer briggs , all 2 strokes , chinese made atv and mini bike. I will rebuilt the carbs on the older equipment and briggs and stratton opposed twin.

• chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#4 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 12:39 AM

It depends what I'm working on if I replace the carb. Mostly Tecumseh push mowers and definitely the one with the plastic bowls, Some newer briggs , all 2 strokes , chinese made atv and mini bike. I will rebuilt the carbs on the older equipment and briggs and stratton opposed twin.

have you had good luck with the replacement ones also? I never had any problems . Yes those tecumseh carburetors on push mowers with the primer in the side of the carb. I always replace those ones
  • chieffan said thank you

#5 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 12:54 AM

have you had good luck with the replacement ones also? I never had any problems . Yes those tecumseh carburetors on push mowers with the primer in the side of the carb. I always replace those ones

I have had some problems with one on a older piece of equipment but on newer stuff no problem at all. On the 2 stroke it the best way to go mostly cause I hate cleaning them and when I done with it cost more then a customer buying a new weedeater. It usually $45 with part 

• chieffan and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,486 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:11 AM

I take it the replacement carb for Briggs is very limited?  Talk is mostly about the Tech carbs.

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:40 AM

A $150 carb selling for $15??? Guess we'll all be out of Business before long :(

I know myself and Ben (Oldpaths) sell aftermarket carbs but the ones we sell list about $100 and take OEM parts the real cheap  ones I've seen have different screws and do not take OEM parts :wallbanging:

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:52 AM

yeah I'd noticed that too, so many aftermarket carbs that say right in the listing that "OEM carb repair parts will NOT work on this unit" or something like that.  Down the road that means "throw a way" unit if you have to do much of anything to them at all. 

Add in "where they came from" (mostly China)  and that is an added turnoff, I'd rather take my chances on fixing the old one first.

• Bolens 1000 and ACmowerguy have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:01 AM

yeah I'd noticed that too, so many aftermarket carbs that say right in the listing that "OEM carb repair parts will NOT work on this unit" or something like that.  Down the road that means "throw a way" unit if you have to do much of anything to them at all. 

Add in "where they came from" (mostly China)  and that is an added turnoff, I'd rather take my chances on fixing the old one first.

Yeah thats what I'm afraid of, if sales keep going up for the chicom carbs the OEM's just may say the heck with it and obsolete all the parts for that engine, they are starting to do that more and more it seems, we may be shooting our selves in the foot and not ever realizing it..........

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:10 AM

where would you even get parts for them that do work? I doubt the makers would supply them.  

Add that to the idea that alot of these products from "over there" aren't made for very long.

I can see this; they are available "just long enough" for the OEM's to stop supplying them  and then these aftermarket ones go away too. then we are screwed....

I can usually find a good used OEM core "somewhere" to overhaul. 

I will also say that on the other end I cannot see how/why anyone thinks they can expect to get $250-300 asking price for an OEM Kohler carb like I see on FeeBay... regardless of what may be available aftermarket.

speaking of Tecumseh carbs and parts; particularly Walbro's   I have gotten Tecumseh's part number and price, and sometimes bought them then found exactly the same thing directly from Walbro for much less.... yes much of this has also been on a shelf somewhere long enough to have a heavy coating of dust either way....

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#11 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 11:25 AM

A $150 carb selling for $15??? Guess we'll all be out of Business before long :(

I know myself and Ben (Oldpaths) sell aftermarket carbs but the ones we sell list about $100 and take OEM parts the real cheap  ones I've seen have different screws and do not take OEM parts :wallbanging:

It rare I replace but I do on weedeaters. By the way I haven't work on many yet but will the new plastic carbs on briggs and stratton be rebuildable.

Edited by bbuckler, January 02, 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#12 bbuckler OFFLINE  

bbuckler
  • 2,079 Thanks
  • 1,885 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 11:34 AM

I take it the replacement carb for Briggs is very limited?  Talk is mostly about the Tech carbs.

It rare I ever had to replace Briggs carb and with the Tecumseh I only replace the ones with the plastic bowls.

#13 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 941 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 01:12 PM

This is more or less your going to do this at your own discretion, for example if you have a piece of equipment that isn't worth 100 dollars but want to use it. The cheap carbs are an example of what to use

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 10:11 PM

I have so far done one Tec with a plastic bowl, I saw the replacement carbs available cheap, yeah but I bought the OEM bowl kit with new float and all for $20-some ... whole new knockoff carb was only a few bucks more for that one but I'm afraid of how good those knockoffs might (not) be.   that was on a 13HP OHV Legend vertical that looks to have had like almost "no" hours on it, definitely sat more than not.... turned out fine with that new OE bowl kit,  I ran it just long enough to test, ran it til it died from lack of fuel, this engine is sitting in my garage on a home made stand waiting for a suitable machine worthy of an almost new engine.....

#15 ACmowerguy OFFLINE  

ACmowerguy
  • Member No: 67204
  • 290 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 10:14 PM

It would be nice if more Walbro LME parts were available. CarbRescue is about the only way to go for them. As for the old Cast Iron Briggs engines, there are aftermarket carbs showing up for about $50. I bought one and immediately disassembled it for inspection. They told me up front the Briggs parts would not work on it. I found the top edge of the lower 1/2 of the carb was very poorly finished and rough. It looked like it was going to be a leak-point. The body gasket was very cheap looking and thin. Another problem is the throttle shaft arm has a very large hole in it and  it lacks the grommet like the OEM carb has. This causes your throttle link to fit very sloppily. It also required a new, longer choke cable and drilling into the choke lever to attach the cable. I later found you could still order the complete upper carb half (which is the problem 75% of the time) for around $35 through Briggs and save your OE carb while saving money too.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2064.JPG
  • DSCN2066.JPG
  • DSCN2067.JPG

• dodge trucker said thank you