• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gtcsreg ONLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,649 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:59 PM

Just thought about something that happened to me in the past when I owned an Allis Chalmers B.  I was about a quarter mile from the shop working and saw some smoke coming from near the gas tank.  I had a small fire extinguisher and promptly saved my tractor.  I thought about how much I like my 1650 and realized I needed to spend less than $15 and protect it also.  Some might not like that I drilled a couple of holes in the fender pan but hey it's my tractor.  If you have some money not spent that you got for Christmas it might be a wise investment.

Reg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 10 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:12 PM

Good idea to have one.
We have them in the buildings, but the ones that were on the tractors are expired or failed.
Should be replaced
  • gtcsreg and chieffan have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Good idea! Are those extinguishers going to stand up to being out in the weather? 

#4 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 293 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:50 AM

For those that carry dry chemical extinguishers on equipment, remember to take them and shake them around on a regular basis. This helps keep the dry chemical loose in the extinguisher. If left stationary on the equipment you use, the extinguishing agent can/will become compacted in the extinguisher and may not work if you need them. This applies for any type of equipment you carry a dry chemical extinguisher on. 

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:52 AM

just another thought, we all have them in our shops but what about in your house. after reading about some tragedy's, I promptly installed a big fire extinguisher right in my bed room by my headboard much to my wifes dismay ( it ruined her decorating theme) I explained to her if something every happened at night and most fires catch people sleeping, I can get to our kids, its become part or our décor now for 20 years, I also have numerous smoke detectors and co2 detectors on every floor, stay safe and happy new year  

• MH81, LilysDad and gtcsreg have said thanks

#6 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,441 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:19 AM

Good idea! Are those extinguishers going to stand up to being out in the weather? 

Covers are available for external mounted fire extinguishers. Its a yellow sack that fits loosely over,,,most bush service trucks have fire extinguisher mounted outside of truck.

• JDBrian and gtcsreg have said thanks

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:23 AM

For those that carry dry chemical extinguishers on equipment, remember to take them and shake them around on a regular basis. This helps keep the dry chemical loose in the extinguisher. If left stationary on the equipment you use, the extinguishing agent can/will become compacted in the extinguisher and may not work if you need them. This applies for any type of equipment you carry a dry chemical extinguisher on. 

Shaking won't do much for them,  Turn them up side down and strike them with a rubber mallet several times.  Do this twice a year.  Fire training technique.

• gtcsreg and DennyIN have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,334 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:24 AM

BTW, I moved this to the Safety Discussion so more people see it.
#goodidea
  • gtcsreg said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:22 AM

Regular inspection of safety equipment like extinguishers is necessary to make sure they will operate when needed. In work they do yearly inspections of all the safety gear. We also have it done at our church. It's easy to forget about it around the house/shop. 

• gtcsreg said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 05:42 PM

some places I have worked, someone has to come around once a month and check the extinguishers and sign the tag on them that they were checked.

• gtcsreg said thank you