Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

What one bottom plow will work with a Massey MF16?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:09 AM

I guess since that MF16 I am getting has a tiller that is one less thing out of the way to get a garden going, but I would like to get a bottom plow but I don't know which type I would need for the MF16. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:40 AM

It'll handle a 10" easy, possibly a 12", but I'd stick with a 10" as she'll pull 10 in most any soil type. The 12's are a hoss when compared side to side. The Brinly 10" is a sleeve hitch, but you can make/buy a 3pt adapter bar to hook the plow onto. I made one for mine out of 2" tubing that has multiple holes so plow/attachment can be moved side to side as needed. I'll get a pic for you to see what I mean.
  • Thomas said thank you

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 10:54 AM

And the 3pt can lift it like that then? I was looking at a couple of pics of some of the plows and they look like they have a c at then end that would be about 2" and a pin would go through but what was getting me is I couldn't understand how even a sleeve hitch would lift it unless the hitch has a 2" piece that the plow goes around and then I could see it picking it up. Otherwise if it was just flat stock less then 2" think it might pick it up but barely.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:01 AM

It can lift all you can pile on it! What you do is built an "A" frame that fits the 3pt lift, then the "C" of the Brinly plow fits to the bottom bar of the "A" frame with 2 pins/bolts. I'll get that pic later this evening. Gotta go work on hay shed now.
BTW...the mid mount deck lift cylinder hydraulic oil also is the oil that powers the 3pt lift. So to prevent having to wait for the mid cylinder to cycle to end before oil pressure reaches rear cylinder, there is a place to "pin" the mid cylinder "in place" so oil is diverted instantly to the rear cylinder.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:37 AM

That is good info on the mid cylinder pinning. I see what ya mean about the A frame, be just like the A frame on a 3pt mower and then have the 2" stock running between the draft arms. If we get the other house I will have all kinds of room for a garden so I just gotta find a plow now.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 11:45 AM

I just thought of something else and it is a little off topic from the plow but was it you Daniel that modified the lever to have foot pedal instead of the lever?

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 02:16 PM

I just thought of something else and it is a little off topic from the plow but was it you Daniel that modified the lever to have foot pedal instead of the lever?

That was on my Allis 416H. Never did it on a Massey, but it could be done. The hand lever has a tension system to hold lever in place, so it would have to be taken off to allow free enough movement for a pedal. If I remember right, the shaft the arm goes to is all the way down to the foot level. I very MUCH prefer foot over hand controlled hydro, but some like the hand. Actually, unless you are mounting a FEL, the hand lever works fine. Back when I redone my 416, my arthritis wasn't under control, so having only one hand to steer while changing hydro speed/direction made things quite painful.

#8 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:17 PM

Here's the Brinly 3pt adapter frame. It is 2x3" steel box. I just made pins from 5/8" grade 5 bolts, cut heads off, drilled ends, & ground ends tapered, then welded in. Top link is about 12" from bottom pin line. To reinforce the holes, I welded washers to each hole. I can move the attachment 1 hole at a time to needed position. Never got around to painting it.

DSC00079..jpg

#9 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:50 PM

Very nice Daniel, once you go to three point attachhments the brinley implements are cheesy

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Very nice Daniel, once you go to three point attachhments the brinley implements are cheesy

Yeah, I rarely use this adapter. I have a small spike harrow that I need it for. It's old, so hate to change it to 3pt...like to keep it original. Gonna use the adapter for a plow day though. My BIL traded off his plow tractor, so he'll use my Massey with the adapter to use his 10" Brinly plow.

#11 bobl ONLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 08:17 PM

Has anyone here used a Sears Cat 0 plow like this with a MF 1650 3ph or similar? Looks a bit smaller and lighter duty than the Brinly, but as long as it does the job (20' x 100' garden, clay loam) & the price is right, I don't mind.
sears_plow..jpg

#12 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 19, 2010 - 07:34 AM

Has anyone here used a Sears Cat 0 plow like this with a MF 1650 3ph or similar? Looks a bit smaller and lighter duty than the Brinly, but as long as it does the job (20' x 100' garden, clay loam) & the price is right, I don't mind.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1424[/ATTACH]

I seriously doubt it will fit. The Sears stuff is 12 inches between drag bars, Cat 0 s 20 inches. Sears stuff is NOT cat 0. You would have to weld on extensions

#13 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Good to know, thanks, hooligan. That one wasn't actually advertised as Cat 0, but other similar ones on e-bay are (e.g. GARDEN PLOW 3 PT CAT 0 SEARS SUBURBAN on eBay.ca (item 230451642544 end time 26-Mar-10 20:58:47 EDT))

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 08:42 PM

I think that Sears is just an 8" plow too. A 1650 wouldn't know it was behind it! Easy enough to make it fit the cat 0.

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 09:11 PM

I think that Sears is just an 8" plow too. A 1650 wouldn't know it was behind it! Easy enough to make it fit the cat 0.

Just have to find another one and make it into a two bottom!