• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 11:19 AM

At my previous house I had the same issue with the malformed carrots. I ended up building a raised bed with soil I brought in and that solved the problem. You could bring in some sand and well composted manure and till it into a patch to plant your carrots in. I also don't plant carrots in a row, I sow a patch 2-3' wide. I do the same for lettuce, beets, turnip and a few others. Corn, beans and peas are about all I plant in rows.

Jim

• Greasy6020 said thank you

#17 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,403 Thanks
  • 3,154 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 04:14 AM

You get funny looking carrots because they are too close together too. Carrots don't like a bunch of fertilizer or heavily composed soils, it will make them " hairy" with little roots all over.
Carrots for me are always done in nice rows so I can keep them thinned And weeded easier.

#18 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 668 Thanks
  • 650 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:58 AM

At my previous house I had the same issue with the malformed carrots. I ended up building a raised bed with soil I brought in and that solved the problem. You could bring in some sand and well composted manure and till it into a patch to plant your carrots in. I also don't plant carrots in a row, I sow a patch 2-3' wide. I do the same for lettuce, beets, turnip and a few others. Corn, beans and peas are about all I plant in rows.

Jim

Why? Can't use tractor in raised bed can you?
Just messing with you...
  • CanadianHobbyFarmer said thank you

#19 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:34 PM

No problem Greasy. Actually at the place I was at the garden was too small for a tractor and a raised bed worked well. For your purposes, I meant that you could work the sand and composted manure into a strip of your existing garden without using a raised bed. I was planning on doing that where I am now, but I now have two garden patches. I plant one as a garden and run pigs on the other. In the fall when the garden is finished, I turn the pigs loose in it. The next year I switch and plant the garden where I started the pigs the previous year. Trying to amend a small patch of soil then letting the pigs tear it apart would be pointless, so I will likely end up with a raised bed for the carrots here as well, separate from the rest of the garden.

Jim