8 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:30 AM

Down to the last few pieces of firewood in the mud room and it is a mess.  Lot of wood pieces, bark, and junk in general from the wood.  Needs cleaned out good and the wood restocked.  Chores first, then tackle that job, then clean the multi fuel stove in the basement, then watch Iowa Play and hopefully win the Rose Bowl game.  Thing may not get done in that order though as the game takes priority over the rest.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:42 AM

I have to get out and cut wood too. That new to me 17 cf cart  makes it about half as many trips. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:10 AM

I usually bring wood into the house every week.  Though I keep about a cord in the basement in the adjoining room, I restock every week until about mid February.  That's when I start burning that final cord.  That usually takes me to the end of winter so there's nothing left in the house.  This year though, I haven't even gone through the first cord.  I may have to stop bringing it in now in order to use everything up.  Usually 4 or 5 bucket loads a week or two trailer loads once the bucket is off.  The old stove goes 24/7 and boy does it make a difference.  I keep so much in the house because I sometimes have to go down south to the office and, when I do, I know there's enough wood in the house that my wife doesn't have to try and get some in.  I figure, if I ever get sick and am down for a while, she has at least a 5 week cushion.

• boyscout862, EricR and chieffan have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:00 AM

I usually bring wood into the house every week.  Though I keep about a cord in the basement in the adjoining room, I restock every week until about mid February.  That's when I start burning that final cord.  That usually takes me to the end of winter so there's nothing left in the house.  This year though, I haven't even gone through the first cord.  I may have to stop bringing it in now in order to use everything up.  Usually 4 or 5 bucket loads a week or two trailer loads once the bucket is off.  The old stove goes 24/7 and boy does it make a difference.  I keep so much in the house because I sometimes have to go down south to the office and, when I do, I know there's enough wood in the house that my wife doesn't have to try and get some in.  I figure, if I ever get sick and am down for a while, she has at least a 5 week cushion.

Its good to BE PREPARED. I like to do the same but am behind. BTW each cord of hardwood burned is equivalent to 200 gallons of heating oil. I don't like to burn my indoor reserve until after the Ides of March because some of the worst blizzrads have hit in the last two weeks of March. Good Luck, Rick

• chieffan said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Its good to BE PREPARED. I like to do the same but am behind. BTW each cord of hardwood burned is equivalent to 200 gallons of heating oil. I don't like to burn my indoor reserve until after the Ides of March because some of the worst blizzrads have hit in the last two weeks of March. Good Luck, Rick

Around here it gets pretty vanilla after February with the exception of a couple of years.  1993 comes to mind but I still had plenty of wood inside to get through that storm.  Two years ago I actually had to go through the woods and pick up every dry piece of wood I could find to keep the fire going in March because I actually ran out.  Winter hung on and there were a lot of below 0 days.  I didn't enjoy that but at least I had the wood laying around.  This year I'll have an over abundance when winters over no matter how bad it gets, or so it seems anyway.  Sometimes, when the wood inside is finished, I still have to bring a few bucket loads in but that's no big deal.  My office is in the basement so I like to keep a low fire going to take the chill off.

Edited by David Brown, January 01, 2016 - 11:15 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:19 AM

My split wood supply is in a 3 sided shelter open to the South.  When the start talking about real cold weather for a spell I try to get in for two rows about 7' long and 4+' high.  That is enough to last us in the fireplace in the living room for a couple weeks or more.  Multi fuel stove in the basement goes 24/7.  Keeps the basement around 65° and with a 10" X 12" floor register I put in last fall with a small fan in the basement keep the upper floor no lower than 62°.  That my signal to start the fireplace going again.  Got one good load in a 15 cu ft trailer haul in but my knee was getting tired.  Had our 500 gal propane tank filled in September of '14 and was at 40% yet about 3 weeks ago.  Furnace runs twice a day, during the night some time and at 6 am to bring the tem up to 65° till the fireplace takes over. Going to give up and go get the X-ray this week to start the process to get a knee replacement.  Rose Parade time and then the game.  GO IOWA ! !

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 12:52 PM

Question for wood users.  I have split and stacked wood outside by fire pit. Lots of bugs, little animals, squirrels hiding nuts and such there. Not that far from house. AND, real low woods sometimes go bad and get soft, even tho up off ground by cement blocks. I would think at least Bugs and Spiders would be on the wood say in garage or room on a house. IS that really an indoor problem or not so much. I see porches piled up with wood, still outside, and wonder if that attracts Varmints to the porch/house too. What's the thoughts on this?

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:18 PM

I never had a problem varmits and bugs when I stored wood in my basement. I had a cord or so stacked up in the old coal room. I wouldn't store wood inside if I had a nice finished basement

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:40 PM

I've never had any problems with wood inside the house. I won't keep it in there over the summer but during the winter seems to be fine.