• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 08:18 AM

Last nite, I was on my way up to the farm.
The kids have spent the nite up there on NY Eve every year since they were tiny.
Now that Dad's gone and Ryan is almost 18, I asked them to do it this year as well. Distraction for Mom and they have fun playing games.
Charades will be today after we get up there, then later on pork an 'kraut

Anyways, on the way up, I saw the carnage of a one car accident. Car was gone, but the "sign"s remained.
See, we had a washout in last weeks rain. It was a part of the biggest state road locally and the more it rains, the bigger it gets. Member of the local FD says it got bigger after the pics here and some more erosion is expected.
The car must've been cutting cross country on an access road that comes out over by there, turned right and had about 3/4 mile to build up speed before hitting the backside of the Road Closed sign.
Sign was probably 75 yards from where it started. Both posts were ripped loose from the base and the uprights were mangled. Pieces of everything laying all over the intersection.

I called 9-11 because of the shrapnel and they said they were just called by a witness and are currently looking for a small import car with some front end damage. I laughed inside at that, because if it was some pop can on wheels, the winsheild is trashed, the radiator is probably ruptured, be a good bet the car is totaled and they may not get very far.

These signs don't have any reflective material on the back, so I can maybe see someone hitting one... Except for the facts that the only reason they'd be on the road is if they were trying to get out of town incognito and they didnt stick around so their insurance company could get the police report.

My bet, 2016 started out pretty bad for a couple of kids.

Hope everyone who was out and about made it home safe and sound.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• olcowhand, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 14 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 08:33 AM

If they had enough speed up, which they probably did they could sail through there without the road falling in under them,  If it was a rear engine can on wheels who knows how far it went.  Beating a drunk driving charge no doubt.  Bought a tractor off a guy that got a DUI in November of this year.  Said it would cost him about $10K when it was all said and done.  All over a few to many $3 beers !

• Gtractor, MH81, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 08:36 AM

Washout!!!! You weren't kidding. That looks dangerous for sure. I hope nobody was hurt. My wife, Vel, witnessed someone take out a power pole right in downtown Halifax the other day. The pole ended up laying down with all wires still attached and without hitting anyone or any vehicles. The small white car left the scene with a crushed hood and the shape of the pole imprinted on the front end, steam spewing from it and bad noises coming from the engine. (That is Vel's description of the car)

I don't imagine they got far. 

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 08:37 AM

Well, they didnt actually go over this, not sure they could at this point.
They would've probably used the small utility road to get to the main road and then to the road closed sign at the next intersection.

Hard to explain.

Blue, washout area
Purple, access road that comes up between the road closed signs
Red, where they hit the sign

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:30 AM

Boy there is a lot of carnage around the country right now. I saw on the news yesterday that a transportation and communications unit of the Iowa National Guard is being dispatched to Missouri(St Louis area) with water purification equipment. The Corps of Engineers has closed 15 miles of the Mississippi to all navigation due to dangerous conditions.
  • MH81 said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:40 AM

Some really strange weather out there this winter. I just read that it actually got above freezing at the north pole in the last few days. That's something like 50F warmer than normal. It's something to do with El Nino and the tail end of the same storm systems that brought all the havoc to North America lately. 

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Whole thing is the Earth turning it's axis. Starting to do that now and be done in few Million years or so,ha!  For now, we just gotta fight the changes as they come. Soon the new North will be the Old West!  Just never Know for sure on anything dealing with nature.

• MH81 said thank you

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 03:52 PM

I wouldnt say this was any worse of a deluge than any normal rain, just fuller and less maintained ditches.
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 07:13 PM

I wouldnt say this was any worse of a deluge than any normal rain, just fuller and less maintained ditches.

I agree, it is just that communication is now nearly as fast as the speed of light and we hear about it.
Life was less complicated when we just did not know.
  • MH81 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 07:47 PM

I agree, it is just that communication is now nearly as fast as the speed of light and we hear about it.
Life was less complicated when we just did not know.

That is so true....
  • MH81 said thank you