4 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Ok. Here is another question for you HVAC guys.

Barometric dampers, operation and adjustment.

Can't sleep tonight so I was in the basement goofing around cleaning. I was standing there behind the furnace when it kicks on and I see the barometric damper hanging wide open. Thought that's odd. Let's watch it. Doesn't move at all. Furnace shuts down still wide open. So I pull out my phone and get educated on their operation and adjustments. With a little knowledge I call the furnace installer and ask him about it and why it wasn't adjusted. He claimed it was and I said well there is no weight. There is no hole where it was tested. He said he would be here tomorrow to take a look at it and adjust it.

Now what do I need to watch for to ensure that he is adjusting it correctly. The guy I watched on YouTube had a digital magnahelic(spelling!) Gauge and said his furnance called for .002 inches of water during operation. I assume this is the proper way to adjust it?

I am a bit annoyed with this install as I've had other issues with crappy installation work. I've had him out here twice working on this I've been annoyed with on his own dime.
  • hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:00 AM

It used to be that the damper was closed during burner shut down. It will open while burner is firing and it is to adjust and induce draft over the fire to insure a clean and efficient fire. The tech should have a set of gauges similar to one of these.draft guage.PNG The damper should look like this one or almost.baremetricdamper.PNG

I haven't messed with oil furnaces in over 35 years but I remember that much. .002 sounds about right from what I remember. Hope you can get it fixed. I'm not sure what furnace you have but if I remember correctly it is oil fired and fairly new. There may be another way to adjust the draft over fire on these new ones that I don't know about.  Good Luck.                                         Roger

• Alc and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:02 AM

There should be a hole in the smoke pipe near the damper to take a draft reading. Some guys just test thru the damper opening.                               Roger

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,223 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Roger! It is oil fired. And that's the same damper I have.

This guy has done crappy work so far. I want to make sure he does this right as this effects the whole thing
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:10 AM

I've got one of those too, I know it's usually closed. 

I've never watched it during burn times so not sure if it opens correctly, guess I need to watch it. 

I know there is a plugged hole in the plenum so someone check air flow at sometime. 

• toomanytoys84 said thank you