13 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 05:43 PM

Has anyone on here ever used a large pull behind widearea mower such as golf courses use? Rotary type, either pto or hydraulic drive. If so, would like to hear about it or see pics.

Best regards, George

#2 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 01:35 AM

Used the self powered WAMs, both rotary and reel. Think 16' was the largest. Never a tow behind though.

Watching the thread with interest as I am thinking of getting a batwing roller mower around the 10-12' mark.

Doing this with a 6' mower and its taking way too long (11 hours)
Posted Image

Edited by mjay, April 24, 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#3 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 05:02 PM

I hear you about the time MJAY, I mow about 80 acres every week. We use a Woods 16 foot folding batwing bush hog type mower. we try to keep all this fescue about 4 to 6 inches high. Estate owner likes it at this height. We are currently trying to dial in a Toro parkmaster. It is a 7 unit reel machine, but has issues climbing hills, mows really good though. we are not giving up on it, but cannot make real good time mowing. Bat wing will mow/chop acre about every 5 min if you hammer down, but the big hill and a case farm tractor pulling it the "pucker factor" is pretty tremendous. And, although the owner is ok with the job it does, I don't care much for the finished look. Owner is looking for a used Toro Groundsmaster to purchase. pm_gas (Small).jpg

#4 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2175
  • 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted April 25, 2011 - 10:25 PM

We use a JD 365 reel unit. Its a batwing style pull behind. Its a pto powered hydro pump on the unit that drives the reels. The lift is operated by a remote on the tractor. I also have fairway units that cover alot of ground. We mow 158 acres every week at the golf course. The boss wants rotary mowers, but for a clean fast cut its hard to be a hydro reel.
  • dryrun said thank you

#5 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 09:34 PM

Heres the pics of my 365

IMG_0172.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0173.jpg
  • IMG_0174.jpg

• dryrun said thank you

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 06:43 PM

Matts, thanks for post here, and emailpics. that gives me a good idea of what I'm looking for.

regards, george

#7 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 06:38 AM

Local AG dealer referred me to REYNOLDS JOHN DEERE in FISHERS INDIANA, they are a Golf and Turf dealer. Salesman knew what I was talking about and will be faxing brochures.

Matts, thanks again for your pics, and info really glad to get and to hear from you. Whatever we decide to do, might try to lean on you again.

Best regards, george

#8 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 03:53 PM

I'm surprised you get a decent cut with a reel cutting at 4-6"?

Rotary is cheaper to run in terms of maintenance.
I prefer direct drive units over hydraulic drive as it consumes less power (less diesel).

I see you can get multi gang flail units now.
  • dryrun said thank you

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have been an Equipment Manager for golf courses for the past 18 years and have had pull behind rotary and reel units and self propelled rotary mowers. I much prefer the self propelled mowers because there is only one machine to service and they fit on the equipment lift for servicing while the pull behinds require crawling around on the ground to service them. The larger self propelled units can cost up to $65K new and even the used ones will run over $30K.

Toro, Jacobsen, and John Deere are the big three in the golf industry and all make decent machines and there are also some other players such as Howard Price and Kubota. Lastec makes a model 721X tow behind with 7 PTO powered 21" decks with a 120" cut path that sell for about $20K that will cut up to 5" high and is very user and maintenance friendly
  • dryrun said thank you

#10 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 06:37 PM

While I agree somewhat, I made my recomendation on the fact that most estates do not have a golf lift. And they probably have a tractor wich will save thousands over a self powered unit. The Deere units reels will pull up vertical for service. This means never crawling under it. I have 4 JD WAMs. The 365 is still the fastest and cheapest to operate.

I have been an Equipment Manager for golf courses for the past 18 years and have had pull behind rotary and reel units and self propelled rotary mowers. I much prefer the self propelled mowers because there is only one machine to service and they fit on the equipment lift for servicing while the pull behinds require crawling around on the ground to service them. The larger self propelled units can cost up to $65K new and even the used ones will run over $30K.

Toro, Jacobsen, and John Deere are the big three in the golf industry and all make decent machines and there are also some other players such as Howard Price and Kubota. Lastec makes a model 721X tow behind with 7 PTO powered 21" decks with a 120" cut path that sell for about $20K that will cut up to 5" high and is very user and maintenance friendly

#11 chris597 OFFLINE  

chris597

• Member No: 3097
  • 1 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 10:38 PM

Swisher makes a few models.

#12 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 05, 2011 - 06:21 AM

84 inches wide enough?

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • dryrun said thank you

#13 matts OFFLINE  

matts

Tractorholic

• 48 Thanks
  • 166 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Is that a national? I just inherited one of those. Mine is a newer model with a full body. They are meant as rough cut units. Mine will hold on a 50 degree angle
  • dryrun said thank you

#14 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:58 PM

Is that a national? I just inherited one of those. Mine is a newer model with a full body. They are meant as rough cut units. Mine will hold on a 50 degree angle

Mid 70s I believe......my dad had one when I was a kid.....so I found one .

Posted Image