• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• Member No: 1547
  • 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Has any body gotten paint mixed at a parts store like napa or Arnold Motor Supply in spray cans? If so how cheap/expensive is it? And how is paint color/quality compared to painting with a hvlp gun?
  • Marty'70 said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:19 PM

There is no comparison to using a gun, spray paint is never going to yeild the result you would be wanting to achieve. If you are just looking to temp fix as to stop rust that is an option but for a quality finish that will last I would always suggest using a spray gun.
  • karl said thank you

#3 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:39 PM

never heard of Arnold Motor Supply, so can't say. but generally a gun sprayed  project will look better than a rattle can sprayed one.

#4 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:19 PM

It's a new holland S-14H. So color has to be custom mixed. And I don't want to go to expensive of paint so I'm afraid to use it

#5 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:19 PM

Arnold Motor Supply is an Iowa base company

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Do New Holland dealers have spray bombs?  In the past I've used genuine Deere, I-H, and Case rattlecans and all were darn fine quality paint.   Its definately harder to do but I can flow out a good quality rattlecan and people think it was applied through a spray gun.

Only problem is its not one bit cheaper to do with rattlecans.  :ah_shoot:

Edited by Gtractor, December 31, 2015 - 09:31 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 10:13 PM

If you get the paint store mixed in cans with the hardener that you inject into the can just before you spray, it works great! But it has more pressure and a much better pattern than ordinary rattle cans, it also costs about $30 for 10-12 oz.
  • Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#8 1964Deere OFFLINE  

1964Deere

• 248 Thanks
  • 289 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 10:24 PM

So in the long run is cost about the same to custom colorrattle can vs buy paint thinner & hardner? In regards to previous post

Edited by 1964Deere, December 31, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#9 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:02 AM

Do yourself a favor and pick up a cheap HVLP gun from H.F. For under $30 you can get a decent gun that you'll have great results with. I used to use rattle cans, and couldn't begin to tell you how many I used. Mediocre results at best, poor shine and not very durable.

And with the HVLP guns you don't need a large compressor. I was very happy with the results on my first paint job.

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#10 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:48 AM

As an answer to your original question. A friend works as a mechanic for a gas company and they spot paint some of the company trucks at times. They get the rattle cans mixed from Napa and said they cost approximately $70 for 2 cans.
  • Gtractor, Alc and Jazz have said thanks

#11 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:49 AM

Not exactly an inexpensive alternative.

#12 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:36 AM

spray cans are ok for quick cover up but the paint is never as hard as a single stage. The finish is never mirror like, won't lay down like glass and as others have pointed out custom spray cans are expensive compared to buying a quart kit.  

http://www.ebay.com/...0346929&vxp=mtr

• sodisr said thank you

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,623 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:48 AM

WOW!  I didn't realize the cost of special mix was that high!

The OE brand[s] I've used were $8-$10 per can and like I said in my earlier post weren't any cheaper than mixed paint for a spray gun. 

At $30 a can it would be far more expensive to rattlecan something. 

I know some people cuss Van Sickle paints because of durability issues but I get along great with it.  The key is the catalyst!  [hardner].  If you don't use catalyst and the tractor [or whatever] sits outside in sunlight its not long before your I-H red turns to Mary Kay pink.  I use an automotive catalyst instead of Van Sickles own brand.  More expensive but better results. 

Another paint I like is Diamond Vogel's Coat-All.  Its virtually the same as Van Sickle and they'll mix any color you could ever want.  If running those kinds of paint [alkyd enamel] they'll stick to anything including the hard to get to spot that you didn't sand or clean very well.  When I mix alkyd enamel,  most times I don't use any thinner/reducer.  Use a little more catalyst than recommended for more shine.  If you must use thinner just a small amount to get the pigment [paint] to go through the gun.  Less is better.  If you spray something with 4 coats,  the first two coats won't benefit from catalyst.  Put it in the last two coats to save the expensive stuff. 

When HVLP's came out they were expensive.  Our first one in the late 1980's was $500. We had a body shop back then and could justify the cost.   Now HF has HVLP's for $19.99 on sale.

As stated above,  get yourself a cheap HVLP spray gun and a good quality - paint worthy respirator.  A dust filter is inadequate!  The catalyst is made up of very harmful chemicals that you don't want settling in your lungs. 

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 11:23 AM

1964Deere,

Do a search for: Tallmans AG Specialty Coatings. It's heavy duty industrial enamel paint, specially made for farm and industrial use. They have paint colors for all brands of farm tractors and even the hard to find shades. They carry rattle cans, quart cans, and gallon cans, so finding what you need shouldn't be a problem. I use the rattle cans, and I'm very pleased with the results. Our area distributor sells the rattle cans for just under $5.00 each, so it helps in keeping the expense down. The paint goes on nice and smooth, and as you can see below, it gives an amazing finish. Just throwing it out there for you to consider.

Miscellaneous 14 308.JPG Miscellaneous 14 309.JPG

Miscellaneous 14 310.JPG

• shorty, sodisr and Marty'70 have said thanks

#15 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,558 Thanks
  • 3,937 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 12:38 PM

I agree on the Tallmans. Sprays nicely and gives a good finish.
  • johndeereelfman said thank you