Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Economy tractor: year? and help with clutch issue (pics)

economy tractor clutch issue help

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dave From Vermont OFFLINE  

Dave From Vermont
  • Member No: 78130
  • 7 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm a newbie, in desperate need of help. I've never worked on engines but very mechanical and motivated to get this tractor rolling.

1.) What the heck year is it? ( see attached photos)

2.) What is the model? the plate says "Economy" is that what it is? - or is it an Economy - Jim Dandy or a Standard Economy?, Deluxe? is there a series/model number ( the manuals here in the (fantastic) forum have model numbers and not years.

2.) Clutch issue?, pedal goes to the floor:

I recently picked the tractor up for $850.00 with many attachments, it was working fantastically, engine is sound and starts on a dime, it moved pretty dang fast, a few different speeds, solid! The day I went down to trailer it back home, I turned her on, pressed the clutch in, and saw sparks, I immediately turned the engine off, when I came back . . the clutch pedal, when depressed, went all the way to the floor and will not engage, it does pop back up into the correct position though.

I've began to attempt to separate the tractor to get to the pressure plate area to inspect, with the hope that I could figure it out, but with my very, very limited experience - I have no idea if this is the right direction, I'm stumped.

If this course is correct I'm wondering how get to the area of the pressure plate - I've seen videos with folks separating other larger tractors but can't figure out how to separate this Economy tractor.

3.) Would someone steer me in the right direction as to which manual I should use, hoping that the manual is here in the forum but if not where would I find this manual?

4.) If I do find that I need parts, for this clutch problem, where do you suggest I purchase these parts?

Thank you in advance your help, I'm so grateful for this forum.

Attached Thumbnails

• image2.JPG
  • image3.JPG
  • image4.JPG
  • image5.JPG
  • image6.JPG

• CRFarnsworth, Traill95, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 03:35 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. The folks will spot this soon!

• boyscout862 and Dave From Vermont have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 03:38 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 03:47 PM

What's the clutch doing/not doing?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hi Dave, welcome to the Power king group, from what I see looks like you have a 1963 Jim Dandy, as for the clutch problem you'll have to remove the engine from the tractor by removing the 8 or so bolts holding the bellhousing to the hogshead, the bellhjousing being the part that is attached to the transmission and the hogshead is attached to the engine and has the slots where you can see the pulley V's, be very carefull removing the clutch flywheel DO NOT USE a puller it is cast iron and will break, do a search here there are some good posts about removing the clutch and flywheel, you maybe luck and not even need to remove the flywheel it could be the throwout bearing or pedal return spring good luck

PS that's a nice looking JD and once you get it up and going your going to like it.

Yep I read the chart wrong or transposed the number anyway I agree its a 1963

Edited by MNGB, December 31, 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#6 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:37 PM

I think that number makes it a 1963 --also the air cleaner doesn't look right---check and see if there are any numbers on the engine , may have been repowered.

Oops maybe I'm wrong on the year - MNGB maybe called it right ---I must have looked at the chart wrong

• boyscout862, MNGB and Dave From Vermont have said thanks

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:46 PM

You have a 1963 Jim Dandy according to the serial number.  There are any number of things that could be wrong with the clutch.  It sounds like the problem in more with the fork and not so much the clutch itself.  The fork could be broke, the pins that hold the fork in place could have broke or the clutch flywheel may have slid out of place.  They have a habit of moving on the shaft unless you want to take them off.  Any way you look at it, you will have to split the tractor.  You will hate that job the first time but you will gain some good experience.  That little tractor is very worth the effort.  Looks like it's not the original engine which may be the root cause of the clutch acting weird.  That tractor for that year would have either a Wisconsin AENL, a briggs 23 CFB, a briggs 23 AFB or a briggs 23 DFB engine.  Welcome aboard.

Edited by David Brown, December 31, 2015 - 04:49 PM.

• boyscout862, Bill 76, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:47 PM

I think that number makes it a 1963 --also the air cleaner doesn't look right---check and see if there are any numbers on the engine , may have been repowered.

Oops maybe I'm wrong on the year - MNGB maybe called it right ---I must have looked at the chart wrong

You're right, it's a 1963.

• Bill 76 and Dave From Vermont have said thanks

#9 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:47 PM

I'm currently working on pretty much the same tractor right now except mine is a 63. You may have broken the pressure plate of the throw out bearing. Either way you still but both of those parts, but the pressure plate is a little spendy. Hopefully you can see where to split it from the attached pic.

uploadfromtaptalk1451598200705.jpg
  • Dave From Vermont said thank you

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,020 Thanks
  • 840 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Yea it looks like it could be an aluminum B&S, looks much to short under the hood.

• Bill 76 and Dave From Vermont have said thanks

#11 Dave From Vermont OFFLINE  

Dave From Vermont
  • Member No: 78130
  • 7 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 06:42 PM

What's the clutch doing/not doing?

The clutch  does not allow gear changing, when the pedal is pushed in it goes to the floor, nothing is there... prior the break the pedal when compressed never came close to the floor.

Thanks so much

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,668 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Brain fart here for me, but guy's isn't the Jim Dandy frame that old suposed to be the single channel one??  Rear looks right with smaller bull gears like JD, but frame looks standard PK?? Jim Dandy went this frame later as a 1612??  Correct me if wrong please. Maybe is made from diff models of parts?

ON splitting: You remove the hood and metals there. Where dash bolts around bellhouse are same bolts as the clutch section. You pull those, and have to pull the engine mount bolts OR the angles they set on, (not reccomended) so you can pull the engine forward and the trans shaft will pull from clutch and flywheel. The clurch will stay on the flywheel and can be removed for most part from it w/out taking off the housing or the flywheel. Flywheels are hard to take off these at times, depending on how rusty and wether it's been off before and such things. You CAN'T take off the housing with-out removing fly-wheel, but can unbolt from engine block and pull back some to maybe get at the flywheel from back side to remove. There are a couple of set-screws in the pulley there. One goes into crank, other pushes the key down in slot tighter. They must be removed before attacking removal.

If it worked one time and not another, I think the release fork, a spring, or even the ears on throw-out bearing might have broken or wore enough to have parts pass over them and slip out of alignment. First thing to do is get a manual for tractor, here or on other PK sites and they have blown-up knock down diagrams of all the parts. Not much info on HOW to fix them, but at least the parts diagrams and #'s and descriptions. Read thru postings here and look at pictures and on other sites to see how it is done and tips. There is a Power King forum on Yahoo Groups that I would join also and they have info and pix there also.

OK, just noticed NO dash on this older one. Still has the 8 bolts around the bellhousing, NOT the four for trans to take out and come apart. Later you can take whole assembly off the trans to study or repair more.

Good luck, take it slow and easy, don't force stuff, clean it up as you go. Parts are around, new and used. Epay has lots of items also. Good Luck!

Edited by glgrumpy, December 31, 2015 - 07:36 PM.

• GTpicker01 and Dave From Vermont have said thanks

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:32 PM

Good eyes GL! You're absolutely right. I hadn't noticed that. Looks like this tractor is a mod lodge of many machines.
  • GTpicker01 said thank you

#14 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:24 PM

Welcome to GTT. As you can see we have alot of helpfull people here. Checkout our Manuals Section for three free downloads per day. The manuals usually have troubleshooting sections to help figure out what is wrong. Good Luck, Rick

#15 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Ok, after studying the pics a bit better, I don't think we have a Jim Dandy at all.  The dead give away is the manual lift.  That's the bigger one from the Power King model.  I know there were some of the larger tractors made with 8" front wheels but I think they were few and far between.  Think Country Squire for example.  This is not a CS because the tag would have Country Squire on it.  Unfortunately, record keeping does not afford us a good way to go about the task of finding how many were built like this.  As far as the smaller final drives, well, I'm not sure sure of thet either.  It's hard to tell without a comparison and the picture may just give that illusion.  There are still some things that are somewhat baffling but I've been out of them for a few years now and have forgotten more than I ever learned.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: economy tractor, clutch issue, help