mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted January 03, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks. I did not see that in any of the manuals I have been looking through. I thought I might have missed something. I found my battery charger this morning and will put the charger on this weekend when I am home. I will also polarize the generator. I will get in contact with my uncle as I think he had a spare.

#122 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Here is the 11 page service manual: Delco Remy Regulator Field service manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

#123 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 03:46 PM

Here is the 11 page service manual: Delco Remy Regulator Field service manual - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Thanks, Brian, but I'm having a problem with the download.

The file size is 14.39MB according to the manuals section, but when I try to download it, I am up to 25+MB and it's not done downloading.

What am I doing wrong?

#124 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Is anyone else having problems?

I just downloaded it from the site and it works fine :confuse:

Try it again Bruce and let me know what happens
  • Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#125 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:37 PM

I downloaded it no problem.

#126 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 05:47 PM

Is anyone else having problems?

I just downloaded it from the site and it works fine :confuse:

Try it again Bruce and let me know what happens

It downloaded ok but can't get past page 2 and it locks up.

Garry

#127 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Works just fine for me.

#128 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 05, 2012 - 06:03 PM

I went through it again and had no problems viewing any of the pages... When you get the PDF downloaded, it still may take a few seconds before the pages finally load

#129 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted January 07, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I was able to download the file just fine. Thanks!

I had the charger on the batter today. I have to get a longer bolt for the PTO idler pulley tomorrow. After I get that back together, I will put the belt for the starter/generator back on, polarize the generator, and try starting it. I will not have much time to work on the 1050 tomorrow, but this should not take too long to do and see if it starts.

#130 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 01:56 PM

Here's some info: Servicing Wisconsin Accessories - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27562[/ATTACH]

I have not had a chance to work on the 1050 the last week, but with the snow flying today, I better put in some time tonight.

Before I polarize the generator, I want to make sure I understand this correctly so I don't screw this starter/generator up. When looking at the service manual, I would jump "B" terminal on the voltage regulator to the "A" terminal on generator?

#131 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 13, 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have not had a chance to work on the 1050 the last week, but with the snow flying today, I better put in some time tonight.

Before I polarize the generator, I want to make sure I understand this correctly so I don't screw this starter/generator up. When looking at the service manual, I would jump "B" terminal on the voltage regulator to the "A" terminal on generator?

Thats Correct

The "B" stands for Battery and "A" stands for armature
  • mark843 said thank you

#132 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I put the bolt back in for the pulley and polarized the generator, but that didn't help. I had to get the drive way cleaned so I just hand started the 1050. It did ok, but with only a few inches of snow, I was pushing a little and sometimes the snow would only go about a foot or so to the side. When I got a to a little deeper snow it did better. I only clogged the chute once and I also applied some turtle wax before I started, which probably helped. I stalled at the street where the plow piles up some of the heavy and it took about 10 minutes to hand start the 1o50 again.

I would give it a C for snow removal. I think a plow for when it is under 3 or 4 inches would be good. My drive way has a good slope so I also need to get wheel weights as I was slipping while getting back up my drive way. I have chains, but not sure how they would damage the asphalt.

Bolens1000, where did you get those rubber "chains" I have seen on one of your Bolens?

I also got a face full of snow a few times because it was pretty windy out.

After stalling to 1050 last night, I decided I would track down what the problem was. The battery was at 12.38V but while cranking, the voltage at the battery would drop into the low 6s. I see in the manual that if it goes under 9V, that the battery should be replaced. I took the battery to get tested but they said they were unsure, so they charged it for a bit and tested again, which they said the battery was bad.

They didn't have the correct battery so I went to TSC and found the right battery. For future reference, it was battery group size 22-NF that I got and fit with the stock brackets. The one thing I didn't notice was that the terminals were reversed. I ended up mounting the neg cable to the other side and the pos cable reached.

After all that, the engine started so no more hand starting. :rocker2: I need to get the cab mounted so no more face full of snow.

#133 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Alright! good to hear you get the thing starting and running. I just used my 1253 for the first time snowblowing today. It worked great but similarly to you, I need rear weight. I am pull starting it as well. I need to get the starter rebuilt and get a voltage regulator. Then I'll be ready.

#134 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 14, 2012 - 06:26 PM

The Bolens Single stage blowers do not work well in under 3'' of snow. The augur needs to be fed a high volume of snow for the chute not to clog and for it to throw the snow far. Usually in 3'' or less I will use 2nd high range, If we get a powdery 4-5 '' I will use 1st high and anything over that 2nd low works the best.

To keep that starter generator working for years to come , always have a fully charged battery in place, these starter generators are just meant to maintain a charge and not charge a half dead battery, also do not crank them for over 30 seconds at a time or you will damage them.

As for the rubber tire chains I bought them off ebay a few years ago. They work just as good as the metal chains in my opinion.

Bolens rubber tire chain 011.jpg

Here's a video of my 1050 blowing snow last year

• mark843, speedyg and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#135 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:35 PM

A few weeks ago we got a few inches of snow and I got a chance to run the 1050 again. It ran well but I still need to get a tach and do some adjustments, just to make sure everything is in range.

Yesterday I picked up some wheel weights and a snow blade for $120. The guy was selling a 1000, but I was not interested in the tractor. I'm sure just a weekend of work would get it together and running again, but I don't have the room. It was also painted a ford blue. :puke2:

The blade needs some work and is missing the left shoe. It looks like the bolts that hold the shoe are sheered off. Were these bolts just welded to the back or were they bolted through the front some how? I can't really tell with the dirt and rust. Also there seems to be a spring missing for the latch pin. Can someone take some pics and post up of the area around the latch pin and maybe of around the shoe so I can see how it is assembled correctly? The manual does not show that area for the shoe and I would like to get better reference pictures.

They guy said he made the lift link so I am not sure how well it works, but it looks similar to the correct one. Are other lift links, for say the blower, interchangeable?

I will try to get some pictures posted up in the next few days.