Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 07:40 AM

Sounds like it is coming along.

Looks like you're another Bolens owner near my neck of the woods.

#47 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 08:14 AM

The manual says to torque the head bolts to 18 ft. lbs

Out of curiosity, is there a recommended order to tightening the bolts?

#48 Bigdaddydon OFFLINE  

Bigdaddydon

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1755
  • 75 Thanks
  • 229 posts

Posted October 19, 2011 - 08:55 AM

This might help.

Attached Files

• Bolens 1000 and mark843 have said thanks

#49 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted October 23, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Yesterday I took some more time to work on the 1050. I rebuilt the pto shaft and replaced the idler pulleys. The one pulley was rubbing against the bracket so I found a washer to use as a spacer. No more rubbing. I also got the tires put back on the tractor so I can more it to my house next weekend.

After that I will try and get it put back together. I hope it have it working before the first snow fall.

#50 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 07:22 PM

I couldn't move the tractor today so I tried to do some work on it but didn't get too far. I was working on getting the clutch in, but I am not sure if I have all the parts in correctly. I followed the parts diagram, but I am not sure which way the the front bearing goes. Which way does it go? This is the self aligning bearing that goes on the front of the drive shaft. Does the part that stick out go toward the front of the tractor or the back? Right now I have it installed facing the back but think it might go toward the front.

I could not seem to get the clutch adjusted correctly. First, the brake plate seems too close to the main pulley but if I back it off just a little, it will hit the yoke. Could the yoke be too far forward?

Also, does anyone have pictures of it all setup or which way everything goes? I am looking for something better than the diagrams or manuals.

#51 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 29, 2011 - 08:57 PM

The self aligning bearing gets installed with the higher lip facing the front of the tractor.

Did you download the service manual? It shows how to adjust the clutch.
Sorry I dont have any pictures of the Clutch setup. I only have pictures for the 3 speed models

I believe I have a clutch in the garage that I can take some pictures for you tomorrow if I remember LOL

#52 Lovintractorin OFFLINE  

Lovintractorin

Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 4180
  • 159 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 06:52 AM

I am not sure if it is set up the same as a 1253 but here are some pictures of how the clutch is set up on mine.

IMG_0517 (2).jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• 8.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 6.jpg
  • 4.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and mark843 have said thanks

#53 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 30, 2011 - 07:35 AM

Thanks for the pictures
Its the same setup

#54 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 09:06 AM

The self aligning bearing gets installed with the higher lip facing the front of the tractor.

Did you download the service manual? It shows how to adjust the clutch.
Sorry I dont have any pictures of the Clutch setup. I only have pictures for the 3 speed models

I believe I have a clutch in the garage that I can take some pictures for you tomorrow if I remember LOL

Thanks! I have the bearing backwards so maybe I will have a little more room once it is reversed.

I did have a copy of the clutch adjustment, but if I got the 1/2 inch gap at 2/3rds like the manual says it was either with the pedal fully depressed or if I tried to get it to declutch at 2/3rds, then the pedal would not go down any further to engage the brake. In other words, the pedal would not come close to hitting the pedal stop. The rear clutch flange also was pretty close to the brake plate and I could not get the 3/32" gap. I think some adjusting where the parts sit on the drive shaft is part of the problem.

How far down the drive shaft should I have the front clutch flange? Should I back it off until it touches the front bearing once I have everything mounted?

Also, should I wait to adjust the clutch once the engine is mounted back in so the belts are in place correctly?

Edited by mark843, October 31, 2011 - 09:30 AM.

#55 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 06:57 PM

Thanks! I have the bearing backwards so maybe I will have a little more room once it is reversed.

I did have a copy of the clutch adjustment, but if I got the 1/2 inch gap at 2/3rds like the manual says it was either with the pedal fully depressed or if I tried to get it to declutch at 2/3rds, then the pedal would not go down any further to engage the brake. In other words, the pedal would not come close to hitting the pedal stop. The rear clutch flange also was pretty close to the brake plate and I could not get the 3/32" gap. I think some adjusting where the parts sit on the drive shaft is part of the problem.

How far down the drive shaft should I have the front clutch flange? Should I back it off until it touches the front bearing once I have everything mounted?

Also, should I wait to adjust the clutch once the engine is mounted back in so the belts are in place correctly?

On all the clutches I put back together, I found that it usually is a trial and error process.
Basically As long as the clutch opens and stops the driveshaft, you really dont need to have it go all the way down to the petal stop.

I would get the clutch all adjusted before you put the engine in. If for some reason the pulleys are off you can just move the one on the engine.

#56 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:06 PM

How tight did you tighten the front clutch flange?
Sometimes if its too loose the clutch will not open fully.

Could you get some pictures of your clutch if you can

#57 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:31 PM

How tight did you tighten the front clutch flange?
Sometimes if its too loose the clutch will not open fully.

Could you get some pictures of your clutch if you can

I am not too sure what you mean by tight or loose. I screwed it on far enough so I can get the front support to be bolt on and the front nut on. I was not sure how far to screw it down on the drive shaft. I didn't want to compress the big spring too far. I actually backed the front clutch flange off so it would be as far forward against the front bearing as possible for the most movement.

The service manual does not give specs on how tight to make things so it makes it a bit harder. I am more used to factory service manuals for cars and the detailed instructions from those.

I was also concerned about the bowed washer and how it sits between the front clutch flange and the pulley. I just placed it on the shaft, but it did not seem like the inside the diameter was correct. It seemed too large for the shaft.

I am finally going to get it moved to my house this Saturday so I will get pictures up by Sunday.

I appreciate all the help and I want to thank everyone for all the information. :beerchug:

#58 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted October 31, 2011 - 07:39 PM

I am not too sure what you mean by tight or loose. I screwed it on far enough so I can get the front support to be bolt on and the front nut on. I was not sure how far to screw it down on the drive shaft. I didn't want to compress the big spring too far. I actually backed the front clutch flange off so it would be as far forward against the front bearing as possible for the most movement.

The service manual does not give specs on how tight to make things so it makes it a bit harder. I am more used to factory service manuals for cars and the detailed instructions from those.

I was also concerned about the bowed washer and how it sits between the front clutch flange and the pulley. I just placed it on the shaft, but it did not seem like the inside the diameter was correct. It seemed too large for the shaft.

I am finally going to get it moved to my house this Saturday so I will get pictures up by Sunday.

I appreciate all the help and I want to thank everyone for all the information. :beerchug:

You should be able to see a few threads when you tighten the nut.
bolens 12345678910 001.jpg

#59 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 09:11 AM

You should be able to see a few threads when you tighten the nut.

Ah OK. Is there a recommended torque amount for that nut or just tight?

#60 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 01, 2011 - 06:03 PM

Ah OK. Is there a recommended torque amount for that nut or just tight?

As far As I know Bolens never had a torque recomendation for that nut. You just have to use your own judgement