• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Looks like the cab was made using a Bolens soft cab and Cozy cab.

Make sure you have these plastic pieces on the dash panel.
You may need to add a few washers to make them stick out farther and hold the hood in place.
latch.jpg

#17 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 02, 2011 - 10:40 AM

It looks as if those just applied some friction to keep the hood in place. I will try some washers to see if it will fix the problem.

#18 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone know which model the mower deck in this ad might be, or if it will work on my 1050?

Bolens Mower Deck

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 12:24 PM

It is a tube frame deck,and from the color,it could even be off a 1050.To answer your question,yes,it will fit your 1050.I wonder how many inch cut it is ?

What year did Bolens start using the "Deck Wash System" ,I see that one has it.I know they had it back at least as far as 1969.
Brian (Doc) will probably know that.

Edited by mjodrey, May 16, 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Its a 42'' deck and it will definitely fit a 1050. looks like it's mising alot of its mounting hardware though and looks like there are some rusted out holes where the parts attach to. For $50 though its a decent deal.
I think the deck wash came around in 67-68'

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 16, 2011 - 07:27 PM

This parts list will show you what is missing: http://sonnys_bolens...ts/18421-01.pdf
  • Bill56 said thank you

#22 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 10:41 AM

I have decided to pass on this one after looking more closely at the missing brackets. I would rather pay a little more money and get everything then try and hunt down the missing mounting brackets. What is the major advantage this type of deck with the roller and wheels vs the one Bolens 1000 posted on the first page without the wheels? Also, can you explain what the deck wash is and what it does?

#23 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 12:59 PM

One other question. The 1050 I have seems to have a different throttle then I see others have. The one on mine is not the push/pull like the choke, but rather a lever up/down type. Did they vary by years?

#24 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 05:40 PM

One other question. The 1050 I have seems to have a different throttle then I see others have. The one on mine is not the push/pull like the choke, but rather a lever up/down type. Did they vary by years?

the throttle cables you are talking about are from the later year tube frames such as a g12, g14 etc etc. The deck wash system allows you to hook a garden hose up to the deck and when you turn the deck on while the tractor is running it will clean grass out from under the deck. Im not sure how well it works though i never tried it.... Welcome to GTT too by the way.

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 17, 2011 - 06:49 PM

I have decided to pass on this one after looking more closely at the missing brackets. I would rather pay a little more money and get everything then try and hunt down the missing mounting brackets. What is the major advantage this type of deck with the roller and wheels vs the one Bolens 1000 posted on the first page without the wheels? Also, can you explain what the deck wash is and what it does?

The only downfall to the older style decks without the rollers is they tended to gouge the lawn when you were going over uneven terrain. Other then that they work just as well as the ones with the wheels and rollers

The deck wash really dosent work that well IMO. Basically all you had to do was hook up the garden hose and turn the blades on and it was supposed to wash the deck out. I have found that it dosent really take all the clumps out in all areas and the water from the hose only helps the rusting process in the long run.

#26 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 18, 2011 - 05:31 AM

I missed this thread somehow, so here is a belated :welcome: .

I have been using ags and chains for several years. They work fine and the chains come off easy enough for summer use. This is on the tractor I have the blade on tho, only had my blower tractor for a little while late last winter.

With the size of that blower, you will definitely need to fill the tires. Start watching for weights too. I needed 40 lbs per side before my weight was right and it stopped getting stuck on everything. Even with the weight, it still was a little lite with the blower up. With those tires, you should be able to get 50 lbs of fluid in them. Many guys use different fluids. Some will use antifreeze, some windshield washer fluid, don't use salt water... Rusting rims will be a big problem later. I used windshield washer fluid in the used ags I bought... Glad I did, one had a defect and blew out BIG time. Lost all but a gal in 3 seconds. If I had used something toxic, I'd have had a heck of a time with cleanup.

#27 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• Member No: 3502
  • 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted May 23, 2011 - 01:08 PM

i have a deck like the picture of the one you posted, the deck is in rough shape but i have all the mounting hardware. if you want it come and get it, im in CT. maybe between the two you could have a good one. let me know.

#28 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 27, 2011 - 10:23 AM

The other deck has already been sold. I am going to wait a bit on the deck so I can get the tractor fixed first. i am more concerned with having it ready for the winter then for next spring. I figure that will give me the winter to get and restore a deck.

I hope to finally get some time next weekend to start working on it. All my weekends thus far have been pretty busy with family stuff.

#29 dmcjt850 OFFLINE  

dmcjt850

• Member No: 3502
  • 18 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted June 02, 2011 - 12:11 PM

you can have the deck i have. i have all the parts it just needs to be fixed up and put back together. its just sitting in my yard i would hate see it just rot or scrap it. let me know.

#30 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted June 10, 2011 - 12:43 PM

you can have the deck i have. i have all the parts it just needs to be fixed up and put back together. its just sitting in my yard i would hate see it just rot or scrap it. let me know.

Do you have any pictures? It is a 7+ hour drive one way so I am debating if I should spend a day driving to come get it. Is it rusted with holes in it?