• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 04:55 PM

A few weeks ago we got a few inches of snow and I got a chance to run the 1050 again. It ran well but I still need to get a tach and do some adjustments, just to make sure everything is in range.

Yesterday I picked up some wheel weights and a snow blade for $120. The guy was selling a 1000, but I was not interested in the tractor. I'm sure just a weekend of work would get it together and running again, but I don't have the room. It was also painted a ford blue. :puke2:

The blade needs some work and is missing the left shoe. It looks like the bolts that hold the shoe are sheered off. Were these bolts just welded to the back or were they bolted through the front some how? I can't really tell with the dirt and rust. Also there seems to be a spring missing for the latch pin. Can someone take some pics and post up of the area around the latch pin and maybe of around the shoe so I can see how it is assembled correctly? The manual does not show that area for the shoe and I would like to get better reference pictures.

I will try and get some pics up for you

They guy said he made the lift link so I am not sure how well it works, but it looks similar to the correct one. Are other lift links, for say the blower, interchangeable?

the lift links from the snow casters were interchangeable.

I will try to get some pictures posted up in the next few days.

#137 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:11 PM

plow 004.jpg

The Bolts for the shoe are indeed welded to the plow

Attached Thumbnails

• plow 003.jpg
  • plow 006.jpg
  • plow 005.jpg

#138 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Great, Thanks! I will be keeping my eye on Ebay for a replacement shoe. I just saw a lift link on Ebay but it said it was an aftermarket, but I doubt it would make a difference.

It's starting to look like I will owe you a case of beer for all the help. :beer:

ETA: I noticed that you don't have the spring for the latch pin. Is that spring necessary or how do you keep the pin in place?

#139 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 05:22 PM

LOL Don't worry about it

I really enjoy helping People get their Bolens up and running.
My goal is to keep as many Bolens running as possible :D

#140 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:00 PM

If you might be interested in the 1000 even for spare parts I can forward the guys name. He lives near Fillmore and about an hours drive.

#141 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:12 PM

Your lift link will work for both the snowcaster and the front blade.

#142 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:56 PM

If you might be interested in the 1000 even for spare parts I can forward the guys name. He lives near Fillmore and about an hours drive.

Did it have an original seat and fenders?

#143 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 05, 2012 - 06:57 PM

ETA: I noticed that you don't have the spring for the latch pin. Is that spring necessary or how do you keep the pin in place?

I think the spring on mine is underneath
My Blade Was NOS when I bought it

#144 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Did it have an original seat and fenders?

Not sure as the seat and fenders were pulled off as the guy thought he had a problem with the gear box. They were sitting off to the side and it was dark in his cellar, so I did not get a good look at them or look with the flashlight. After looking the gear box over, everything looked to be in good condition with no chipped teeth that I could see. I saw that the free wheeling pin was missing and I told him that was must likely the problem why it could not move under it's own power.

He did not start it up but was trying to charge the battery. I think it might need some miner things to get it running like plugs etc. If you do want to inquire, I can message you the guys phone number. If it is something you are looking for, I don't think it would hurt to take a drive to look. I'm sure you can get it cheap as he was asking $150 for everything and I gave him $120 for the snow blade and wheel weights.

If you do go and want to try getting it running, bringing a fully charged battery may help.

I have the 18532-01 snow blade. I am not sure if there was a different one, but I was trying to find how that spring hooked up and the manual does not show that very well.

#145 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 06:15 PM

I think I'll pass on it... I basically have a whole Bolens1000 disassembled and stored in the basement for parts LOL
Do you have a picture of your blade?

#146 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Here are the pics of the blade. You can see where the bolts broke off for the shoe. It looks like new bolts could be put in from the front, but I don't know if I would be able to get access if I take the edge off. I will just have to see when I get a chance. I did find the spring underneath, but it was broken. I am sure I can find a suitable replacement at Lowe's. If I can't find a replacement shoe, I am sure I can get one fabricated.

DSCN1923.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1916.jpg
  • DSCN1922.jpg
  • DSCN1921.jpg
  • DSCN1919.jpg

#147 1031d OFFLINE  

1031d

• Member No: 6821
  • 32 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 09:38 PM

My simplicity blade did the same thing, I just kept drilling the hole bigger and bigger until enough was removed that the skeleton of the bolt would turn out. Worst to worst get a heli-coil kit and that'd be a sure fix. Just out of curiosity is there a gasket under all that blue rtv? I quit using that junk after too much bad luck with it on farm tractors. It gets hot and oozes out. On your intake the gas will eat it. I have a 1053 in the garage that needs tlc.

#148 1967bolens collector ONLINE  

1967bolens collector

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1920
  • 649 Thanks
  • 1,437 posts

Posted February 06, 2012 - 11:23 PM

finding the shoe for your plow could be hard to find. i was lucky to find 2 N.O.S ones for my GK. they used the same shoe as all the other bolens plow. i would look on ebay or just make one. there pretty simple

#149 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 07, 2012 - 05:44 AM

Did you check with Bob to see if he has any shoes and the spring?

#150 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted February 10, 2012 - 01:50 PM

My simplicity blade did the same thing, I just kept drilling the hole bigger and bigger until enough was removed that the skeleton of the bolt would turn out. Worst to worst get a heli-coil kit and that'd be a sure fix. Just out of curiosity is there a gasket under all that blue rtv? I quit using that junk after too much bad luck with it on farm tractors. It gets hot and oozes out. On your intake the gas will eat it. I have a 1053 in the garage that needs tlc.

No gasket as I had to pull the gear cover back off to fix a broken bolt. I prefer to use the gray rtv, but blue is what they had at the parts store and didn't have time to shop around. If rtv was good enough to use on my tank in the army, then I would think it would be fine on an garden tractor. I never had problems with rtv as long as the mating surfaces are prepped correctly. The only thing I would worry about it the heat, and so far, it is holding up fine after about 2 hours of use.

From what I have been researching, I think the blade may uses studs to hold the shoes on, if not, I may cut and grind everything flat and have a plate with 2 bolts sticking out welded on the back for the shoes to attach.