mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2905
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 05:34 PM

I am inheriting a Bolens 1050 that has been passed through the family. It was originally my Grandfathers so I want to take care of it and get it in better working condition.

My father and I started on the snow thrower 2 years ago and I will have to get a new gear before this winter. Ideally I would like to get it sand blasted and power coated. When using the blower, when I go to lift it with the hand control/lift assembly, it seems very heavy. Is there a counter balance, spring or another way to make it easier to lift the blower up?

I need to get some new tires as the ones currently on it are old and leak air. The front tires are 16x6.50x8 tubeless and the rears are 23x8.25x12 tubeless. Any recommendation on tires? I will be mowing the lawn and blowing snow. I do have chains for the rear, but not the wheel weights. Also, would going to a tube tire be better?

I don't have a mower deck, so what ones would be compatible with a 1050?

The engine runs fine, but the clutch and brake do not. When I push down on the clutch and brake, I have a hard time shifting gears and the brake does not seem to work very well. I think I might need to get a new brake and clutch, but is there any adjustments I should try first? If I need to get a new clutch and brake, what would be the parts that I would need, or can I call one of the suggested dealers and they can help me out with all the parts if I tell them what it going on?

I'm pretty new to owning this and right now the 1050 is still at my parents house where I will be working on it. Any suggestions, hints, or tips for these issues or for anything I should familurize myself with, feel free to add it.

:orangecool:

Edited by mark843, April 23, 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 06:01 PM

There are adjustments on the clutch and the brake. The brake is back by the transmission, it is a lever brake and it contacts a drum at the input shaft to the transmission. Tires are personal preference. I love ag tires and now that I have fluid filled my first set I will do it to all of them. Saves money until you can find a set of wheel weights for your tractor.

You could add springs to help with lifting the snow blower, I don't think they had any originally or at least none of ours have any on them. Shouldn't be hard to do, just need two tension springs and make some hooks to bolt somewhere.

I can't help you with the mower deck as I am not a Bolens guy. There are a lot of Bolens manuals in the GTtalk Manual section of the site.

Welcome to GTtalk :D

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 07:27 PM

Welcome to the Forum!
Can you get some pictures of your Bolens?
as Described above there are service manuals avaiable to download that go over the servicing of the clutch ect...
Bolens did offer a spring assist kit that was optional to ease the lifting of the attachments.

Here is the parts list for the 1050 : 1050 PARTS LIST

Here is the owners manual: 1050 OWNERS MANUAL

The deck should be easy to find as most of them were interchangeable from model to model.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:02 PM

:wave: mark843 Welcome to GTTalk! Hope that you enjoy the forum and also wish you the best of luck with your legacy tractor!

#5 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the replies! I will try and get some pics up soon, but might not be able to until next weekend. I will print the manual and see if it needs some adjustment or new parts. I have been doing some searching and saw the spring assist kit, but I also see a hydraulic lift kit. I think that would be the way to go. I would like the get the 42 inch mower deck if I can find one in good condition but 38 would be just fine.

Any recommendations as to go with tube or tubeless for tires? Could I just put tubes in the current tires?

Bolens 1000, where in WNY are you? I live in Hamburg currently until my house is finished being built.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 09:05 PM

Yeah I have a hydraulic lift on my 1050 its really an arm saver LOL.
42'' Decks are more common to find compare to the 38''

Here's a pic of the 42'' deck

Attached Thumbnails

• 8-29-10.jpg
  • bolens painted deck 1050 006.jpg

• Delmar said thank you

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 04:30 AM

welcome to the forum ,mark843.

Glad to have you with us.

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to GT Talk. I say it every time but, this place is awesomely nice. Very helpful, humorous and happy.
Yes, you can just tube your current tires. Without a tire machine it is pretty close to impossible and a tire place will charge somewhere around $20-$25 to tube em. So, if they are old, bald, cracked tires don't bother but if they look good and have good tread but just don't hold air, those are good candidates for tubes.
As far as new tires goes, I believe most tires come tubeless and only get tubes if they need them. If you keep your eyes open or check CL and/or Ebay you might catch a used set at a decent price. Unless you need lugs the used department should work out.

#9 jeffsross OFFLINE  

jeffsross

• Member No: 2436
  • 0 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted April 26, 2011 - 09:01 PM

I have seen some parts on ebay also... Just search on Bolens 1050

#10 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 27, 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for all the help. Any recommendation on tires? I am just looking for turf tires on the rear, but not sure what to use for front tires. Will turf be fine for fronts or should I go with something like a rib tire? This will see dual duty for snow and mowing. I am not fond of AG tires as they look like they can tear up the lawn.

#11 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:14 AM

I have some Carlisle tires (turf tread) on the rear.

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 900 new 034.jpg

#12 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 28, 2011 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the help. Any recommendation on tires? I am just looking for turf tires on the rear, but not sure what to use for front tires. Will turf be fine for fronts or should I go with something like a rib tire? This will see dual duty for snow and mowing. I am not fond of AG tires as they look like they can tear up the lawn.

If you are worried about the ag tires tearing up the lawn then I wouldn't put tri-ribs on the front, especially if it is going to be your primary mowing machine. You could do smooth ribs on the front.

#13 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 12:19 PM

Can I put the same turf tires on the front that I would on the back? Will that give me good traction to turn on snow and ice too?

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2011 - 01:02 PM

Turf tires are your best bet.. Turning on ice and snow, the different tire treads don't make a big difference, they all turn well with the blade up, and not so well with the blade down.

#15 mark843 OFFLINE  

mark843

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15 Thanks
  • 199 posts

Posted May 01, 2011 - 04:34 PM

Here are some pics of the old gal. She is not pretty but she runs. It's a bit tipped to the side as the right rear tire is flat. Maybe next Saturday I can get some time to look at the clutch if it's not raining here.

I am not sure what the cab is from, but I don't think it is for the 1050, but was "made to fit" according to my uncle.

I would really like to paint the hood and fenders and just start to get my 1050 looking nice again. I don't plan on doing a full restoration though.

One other thing, When I run the 1050, the hood likes to lift up abut 3 or 4 inches. Any way I can stop that from happening or what I would need to replace? I see the part labeled "latch" on the parts manual. Is it more of just held by friction and these latches need to be replaced?

1050_3.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• 1050_1.jpg
  • 1050_2.jpg

• Delmar said thank you