• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bolensqt17 OFFLINE  

bolensqt17
  • Member No: 9613
  • 23 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 11:51 AM

I have a Speedex S24 we are getting ready to restore. I have found all the decals paint etc... just wondering about the front wheels. These seem to be off a john deere. I think the tires are supposed to be 4.00-8. Just wondering what other wheels would fit it since these are 6.50-8. Also any input on the paint color. I have read anything from massey red to ih red and the yellow being close to a Minneapolis Moline yellow? Thanks for any input.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20151228_112724.jpg

• Traill95 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#2 crittersf1 ONLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 12:32 PM

I'll check my front wheels when I get to the house

• bolensqt17 said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Perhaps this would do the trick:

http://www.millertir...ub-3-4-bearing/

The manual I found specifies a 4.80x4x8 tire (whatever that is).

http://www.speedex.c.../12/S14-S24.pdf

Edited by MiCarl, December 31, 2015 - 12:52 PM.

• bolensqt17 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Yes, narrower wheels on those. Many older ones had a low rib tire on them, pretty heavy. Speedex used Bushings most times and not bearings. Bearings of others don't fit, because Speedex used 1" axles. Wheel still has 1-3/8" center for common bearings, but can't find them in 1" centers, not enough material I guess to make rollers in there?  Speaking of rollers, I have even had same wheels with a wheel width needle roller in them. All busted up, so out they went and got bushings. Harder to find the bushings with a lip on then and even then, not enough room on axles to put two in wheel with the lip. I've had to get two with lips and two w/out and use the non-lipped inside on some of mine. McMaster-Carr has those in many metal types, hi or low dollar. I have parts tractors that I don't wish to split up that still have some of those wheels on them. Later years/models have the modern wide tires, just like yours shown, so they DO work. Check out some of my pictures on here to see what they look like. Most of mine are newer models tho. I put tri-ribs on my 1240 on the stock wheels, looks OK.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 02:20 PM

ON wheel color, Yellow is correct, not sure what is best. I used an Orange on mine, just to be different and like it better than that yellow. I have also used Silver or Argent as is called, most later models were just White. Case/IH has good paints and I used them on many of my MM"s. It is the later yellow, not the orig. Power Yellow I think was name?  or just the IH Federal Yellow is nice stuff too. Good paint, expensive in rattle cans, much cheaper in qts if you use a gun.

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 864 Thanks
  • 492 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 12:10 AM

Speedex used Bushings most times and not bearings. Bearings of others don't fit, because Speedex used 1" axles. Wheel still has 1-3/8" center for common bearings, but can't find them in 1" centers, not enough material I guess to make rollers in there?

The link I posted has a bearing for a 3/4" axle so that wouldn't work.  Unless you could knock the bearings out and use a bushing instead.

#7 bolensqt17 OFFLINE  

bolensqt17
  • Member No: 9613
  • 23 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. Trying to get all my ducks in a row expecially since we are actually doing one for someone else for once.

#8 speedbird ONLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 128 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 06:58 PM

I've used

I've used Rust Check International red, but it my not be available in USA. When I pulled one of the decals off the  hood  it was an exact match for the color under the decal.  A friend uses International red that he buys from a Case International dealer.

The 1" bushings and grease caps are available from Speedex in Bolivar OH.(www.speedex.com)

Hope this helps.

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:54 PM

A parts place for Speedex???  Have to look at that. I have seen old postings on forums, but get NO response from anyone when trying to get info to go the source. Fella named Rice? Supposed to be last owner of Speedex name and has many items, but no responses on his email addresses for me.