#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:37 AM

While blowing out the 12" of snow we got yesterday I hit a couple of big rocks and broke the belt tensioner on my Jacobsen Chief 38" snowblower on the 1200 Super Chief Hydro. I'm looking for the tensioner which is part number 313297. After 40 + years you would think someone would stock one !  LOL ! I have another blower to put on but I would like to use this one if possible.

Not only did I break this part I bent and broke the auger on the chain end. Having problems getting the bearing off the chain end to get the auger out. Once I get it out I'm sure I can heat the auger and re straighten it. I've tried heat and PB blaster so far. No pictures, camera is on the fritz. As soon as i get it going I'll post a couple. thanks .                                                        Roger

jacobsenchaintensioer.PNG

jacobsenchaintensioner2.PNG

• MH81, chris m and propane1 have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:46 PM

I am trying to locate one for you, but no luck so far. Good luck getting it apart and straightened!

• hamman said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Let that PB Blaster soak a while.  May even take several days.  Had a drive pulley on a S8D Wisconsin that was stuck solid.  Sprayed in the set screw holes a few days and let it sit.  Week later it came off with light persuasion.

• hamman said thank you

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 02:29 PM

I just got the other blower in the warm garage and letting it warm up and thaw out. Initial look seems to be good. I have a frozen chain on the second one witch is ok because I can use the one from the original. I have to change out the chute and control and grease everything up. I was surprised to see that the auger bearings don't have grease zerks in them.  Trying to get camera going. Thanks guys. I appreciate it.                                                                            Roger.

• chris m said thank you

#5 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 11:34 PM

I just got home from work, but I still have found nothing.

I am even trying to see if one from another brand would work, again nothing.

Worse case would be to by a block of Nylon and make new ones. I will be up awhile yet so I will keep looking.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 12:07 AM

Ya that is what I was thinking to make a new one. Not sure where I can buy some stock of nylon or PTFE to do this. Been looking all day and haven't found anything either. I did get the other blower in the garage and pulled apart to clean and grease and ch bearings for putting on the tractor. The chain is junk and has to be replaced. I can use the one off the original blower for it. Bearings in auger seem to be good as well as bearings in PTO / Mule drive for the blower. More work on it tomorrow. Got the camera fixed and will get some pics tomorrow to post. Thanks.                                                                                 Roger

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Well with the help of the wife, PB Blaster and  a big hammer, a coupe of brass drifts and a sacrificial Japanese deep well socket we finally got the auger out of the bower.  Had the wife help me and we got it done. A few pics of the auger and progress we made. As you can see the auger took the brunt of the big rock.

DSCF0559.JPG

Salvaged chain tensioner from parts blower

DSCF0560.JPG

another view

DSCF0553.JPG

pretty badly bent

DSCF0551.JPG

doesn't look bad from this angle

DSCF0557.JPG

the sacrificial socket

I'm going to try to fix this and use the original blower. Don't want to tear the other blower all apart and risk damaging the bearings. If I can get this one to work for the rest of the winter I will make another set of bearing with the help of a friend who know more about welding than I do. Still going to try to make the tensioner out of nylon as an extra. Made a drawing and took good measurements so I could try to make one.   Thanks for the help and suggestions.                                                                                       Roger

• KennyP and chris m have said thanks

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Glad you where able to get it apart! Aw heck that socket has plenty of life left to it! :rolling:

It looks like you will be able to straighten that auger with out to much trouble. Good luck!

• hamman said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parts, snowthrower, jacobsen