9 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:35 PM

This is the 3rd engine for the 700 since I have owned it,the 22 years or so. The original model 19 was gone when I got the tractor,replaced with a well worn 19D. I ran it until it smoked like a diesel,then replaced it with a cast iron 8 hp short block that I had had for years. Not knowing if it was good or not,I stripped the parts that I needed off the 19D and put it in the tractor. It ran good for several years until last summer it developed a sudden serious knock. So I took two scrap yard model 23 D's,that I bought at our local show and swap meet,using the best parts from both I put a complete engine together and with a little modification to the tractor I put it in.

The model 23D is 2 inches taller and has a wider foot print.So I left out the factory spacer plates from the model 19,which put the crankshaft at the correct height.I drilled to new motor mount holes on the right side of the frame and had to enlarge the oil drain hole in the side of the frame to get it lower for the model 23D pan which is sitting right on the frame.I also had to "massage" the bottom front of the blower housing tin to get about a 1/2 more clearance.The only other real issue was I had to remove the oil fill tube because it wouldn't clear.I replaced it with a pipe plug but the clearance is still so tight that I had to grind the outside of the pipe plug down quite a bit.

The only things left now is to get or make low mount brackets to lower the starter/generator and I need to get lower the factory style oil bath air cleaner a little.I have different air cleaners that will fit and different air intake tubes but I haven't found a setup that suits me yet.

I'm in no hurry to put the starter/generator on because it starts right up in a pull or two of the rope cup but I would like it on by next summer.

This tractor should be stronger than ever now with the bigger model 23D and the tractor has the optional lower speed 8 inch drive pulley. Here are some pictures of the old tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 4.jpg
  • simplicity 700 9 7 2015.jpg 2.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 6.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 9.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 10.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 3.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 2.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 8.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg 5.jpg
  • simplicity 700 12 29 2015.jpg Briggs.jpg

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Another good tractor made by simplicity... Suprise suprise lol :poke:  :poke:

Paint job looks great for original. How has the Bgb held up?

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,695 Thanks
  • 8,888 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 10:48 PM

This is the 3rd engine for the 700 since I have owned it,the 22 years or so. The original model 19 was gone, replaced with a well worn 19D. replaced it with a cast iron 8 hp short block So I took two scrap yard model 23 D's using the best parts from both I put a complete engine together and with a little modification to the tractor I put it in.

Kinda hard on engines, aren't ya?

:rolling:

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 11:13 PM

Either that or I need to stop putting scrap yard engines together for it Cat. But... then I get a kick out of making a old engine left for scrap or parts run again. On a side note though,this engine seems to run good but if it quits any time soon I will spend some money and put a good engine in it because I don't enjoy the engine swaps much in this tractor...lol
  • Cat385B said thank you

#5 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,789 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:16 AM

My friend and member jableman is in the process of restoring a 700 I like the look of them their stance reminds me of a gasser dragster.
  • rustyoldjunk and Alc have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:31 AM

I hope the engine lasts a while for you. Sounds like you use this one a lot. Look for a PM from me.

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Another good tractor made by simplicity... Suprise suprise lol :poke:  :poke:

Paint job looks great for original. How has the Bgb held up?

I have repainted parts of the tractor over the years,just never done all of it even though I have had the tractor completely apart a few times. The BGB is still good and tight.

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 02:31 PM

I hope the engine lasts a while for you. Sounds like you use this one a lot. Look for a PM from me.

I use it a fair amount Kenny but try to use other tractors as much as possible and save this one some of the wear. This was the one that got me started. I bought it in 93 and if I have any left at the end it will probably be this one. Over the years family (and some friends,not even in the hobby) look at like I'm crazy when I have talked about getting rid of it. It defines how I got into the hobby and I have had it so long that its kind of a part of the family. My wife who cares nothing about these tractors won't here of me getting rid of it and I have kids that want it...(guess I should have got rid of it sooner lol). So I have decided its probably time to spruce up the old tractor a little.

I returned your PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#9 spindley OFFLINE  

spindley
  • Member No: 78940
  • 11 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hey there rusty. Did you sell that New Holland with attachments yet. How much you want for it?

#10 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 01:34 AM

I did sell it spindley.