• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DieselCubOrginal OFFLINE  

DieselCubOrginal
  • Member No: 79231
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Im new to GT talk so dont be to hard on me about wanting to put a D600 in an Orginal Cub. I already have the motor out of my donor tractor. But now i am throwing around ideas for the frame work of the Orginal to make this big motor work. Im also stuck on what you all do to transfer the power from the motor to the transmission. Any help from any one would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
  • olcowhand said thank you

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:19 PM

First off.... :welcome:   Being your trans is a manual, it will be tougher to couple the engine to the trans, but you might be able to incorporate the stock clutch and do it easier than reinventing the wheel.  However, you might want to upgrade to a heavier duty version like a clutch for pulling to handle the extra torque.  That's why I like hydro for repower projects....so much easier to connect power.

#3 DieselCubOrginal OFFLINE  

DieselCubOrginal
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Thanks for the welcome! My donor tractor for the D600 was hydro but i didnt want to put that into the Orginal as i didnt want to get to far away from it being "stock" or "factory". I also thought about a pulling clutch to handle the torque as well. But i just dont know how these guys are getting the Cub clutchs to go from the Kubota motor to the Cub transmission.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:21 PM

You need to take power off the crank end just like the original engine did, so you'd need a stub made to mate with your clutch that will bolt to the flywheel of the diesel.

#5 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,632 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:18 PM

Since the Original is belt drive,  it should be pretty easy to hook up.  Scrap the factory clutch and use a double, or triple V belts to transfer the power.   :thumbs:

• RAJ said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,656 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Since the Original is belt drive,  it should be pretty easy to hook up.  Scrap the factory clutch and use a double, or triple V belts to transfer the power.   :thumbs:

OH, not being familiar with the O model, I didn't know it was belt.  I just assumed it was like the later models.

#7 DieselCubOrginal OFFLINE  

DieselCubOrginal
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:55 PM

I was gonna see if i could do away with the whole belt system and run a straight shaft from the the transmission, to a clutch, to the flywheel. But im new to the game and have always wanted to do this for a long time. Just trying to get some pointers. I know this isnt a normal swap but i like the way the Orginal looks.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:28 PM

You may need the belt drive because of the drastic offset that the old units used.
  • RAJ said thank you

#9 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:19 AM

Well for starters I assume that you understand that running off the flywheel would make you have to flip the carrier. But here's my opinion. It would be easier to put an another transmission from another gear drive cub into it and do away with the belt/driveshaft. In some way you would need a better clutch but with it only being a d600 which isnt a very high hp/torque rating you need not to worry about running a 550$ pro series clutch. What are your plans with the original? Just shows or yard work? You will have to run the driveshaft off the front pulley crank so that way you wont need to flip your carrier. You can even put that little motor inside a 70/100 and not have to do a whole lot of cutting the frame etc. 

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:20 AM

Welcome to the forum. 

Like Daniel I'm a believer in hydro drives. I've had two diesels with manual transmissions. One has been converted to a hydro and the other parted out. 

Please take a few photos so we can follow along with your project. 

#11 DieselCubOrginal OFFLINE  

DieselCubOrginal
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:18 PM

I know its gonna be some work to make it all work like i want. I guess im unsure on what flipping the carrier involves. Ive seen that a few times on some pages and dont quite understand. I have a 122 that i got with the original. Would that be an acceptable rearend Mike? The tractor i got the motor out of is a Kubota G5200 so i also have that as a parts tractor.

#12 DieselCubOrginal OFFLINE  

DieselCubOrginal
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:27 PM

And to answer your question Mike i wanna be able to maybe pull it at a couple of local pulls. Other then that just a show piece really. Plus ive always wanted to build a diesel cub. Nothing to extreme. Just something to tinker with in the off season.

#13 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,628 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Build a cub cadet 100 looks close to what you have. and you could use the tranny with some up grades run the clutch off of the front works that's what the John deere 433 looks like.

#14 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:07 AM

Well I'm saying it can't be done but it's gonna be a major fabrication project to incorporate the drive line and room for the power plant plus cooling system. IH flipped the frame channel when they introduced the 70/100.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20141009_071021.jpg

• Cvans said thank you

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:18 AM

Well I'm saying it can't be done but it's gonna be a major fabrication 

I think your right about that. Going to be some major head scratching going on there. 

Betcha you can do it though.  :thumbs: