• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 03:35 PM

This may have been dealt with on here before, but ... I think some Briggs engines CAN NOT  be converted to pointless ignition by simply bolting on a "late model" coil, and I know that some can. Which ones won't work? How do I know , other than bolting one on and trying it? The magnet or magnets in the flywheel must be different? THANKS.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Correct, Some coils will accept the new conversions but some will not, If you have a model of what one your thinking I may be able to tell you by searching the coil part number in my system.

Of course I do suggest keeping OEM points and condensers but I am a stickler for original parts and old technologies :D 

• boyscout862 and chieffan have said thanks

#3 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Thanks. The engine is on my Bolens G-9. The engine #s are - model 190417, type 0902-01, serial 76011410. I tried a "known good" coil off of a newer engine and get no spark.

• chieffan said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 04:21 PM

The coil for that is the B&S 298968 and I believe the Nova modules can be used on them but have never tried it, I dont see any notes not saying the modules cannot be used in my cross references.

Have you cleaned the points on this engine before swapping coils? Most of the time a cleaning and possibly replacement of the points and condenser is all that is needed to get spark again. Also sometimes the little plungers get stuck/worn not allowing the points to open all the way.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Actually , the points didn't look good. I cleaned them and the engine ran for a few seconds and lost spark again . Cleaning again produced the same results. A few seconds running again then no spark. Then I tried the pointless coil. No spark at all. Today, I bought a set of points and will swap back to the original coil and install the new points tonight.

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:02 PM

make sure you replace the condenser as well (They should come in the kit)

#7 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:11 PM

Actually , the points didn't look good. I cleaned them and the engine ran for a few seconds and lost spark again . Cleaning again produced the same results. A few seconds running again then no spark. Then I tried the pointless coil. No spark at all. Today, I bought a set of points and will swap back to the original coil and install the new points tonight.

A few possibilities:

Is the point adjustment slipping, allowing the points to stay closed all the time?

Do the points need to be re-gapped each time?  .......Rust on the crankshaft (under the oil seal) may be wearing the plunger, affecting point gap.

Is oil getting past the seal and coating the point contacts?

• Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks