• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi all, I have a question about the newer type of 3 pt lift assy with the hyd cylinder mount under the rear end, on the right side there is a rod approx 5/8" dia. that is connected to the 3 pt pivot shaft runs forward to the mower deck lift jackshaft I understand how that work but connect to that rod is a smaller dia. rod with a bend in it the also connects to a tab on the lift jackshaft WHY what is its purpose??

• David Brown said thank you

#2 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Do you have or can you get a picture of this?  I ask because I had a couple of these with the under mounted hydraulic cylinder and I don't remember having what you describe.  It's been three years since I sold mine so a picture may jog my memory.

• MNGB said thank you

#3 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Hi David, I don't have a pic but here it what I'm asking about, its the small rod the angles over to the left

http://www.ebay.com/...t0AAOSw3KFWfBzn

• David Brown said thank you

#4 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hi David, I don't have a pic but here it what I'm asking about, its the small rod the angles over to the left

http://www.ebay.com/...t0AAOSw3KFWfBzn

Ok, I've seen those but none of mine ever had them.  The only thing I can think of that would make that rod relevant would be if it was there to prevent the twisting of the rock shaft.  kind of a cheap way to put a rod on each side to increase lift capacity.  It does, however, seem that they move independently of each other.  I never even used the big rod on mine.  It never gave me enough lift for the snow blade so I got an older one and used it.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:41 PM

I've had lower cylinders too and don't recall that, been awhile.  That offer is from jrhaines or username on here and he has lots of parts and might know where that link goes too?  Ask him in pm or maybe he will see this. Those tractors also had park brake lock in the center console and wonder if somehow connected to that rig for safety or ???  to not allow lift to work while parked say?  Doesn't seem right, but just throwing that out there.  Wonder if a pix from Big Red book would show this, have to look at mine or the thumbdrive I have.

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hi GL, yea I was kind of hoping Username might see it also, if he doesn't I may PM him. I looked and no connection to the park brake it attaches to a tab welded to what looks like a sleeve over the jackshaft, I just don't understand what its suppose to do.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Seems in pix I have that is Rotary Mower lift. That front shaft is in two parts. One part hooks to the main lift shaft, bigger one. Other 3/4's of shaft for mower lift links to the smaller shaft. This might have been start of when they were working on separate lifts for the center and 3pt or forward areas. As they were, front stuff went up and rear went down in same stroke. Vice-versa for other directions.  I'm not sure in this set-up how they can run mower separate, but might have been a future thought?  I'll try to scan the pages and post. New puter, haven't done any scanning yet and not sure it is set-up yet. Cross your fingers.

• David Brown and MNGB have said thanks

#8 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Seems in pix I have that is Rotary Mower lift. That front shaft is in two parts. One part hooks to the main lift shaft, bigger one. Other 3/4's of shaft for mower lift links to the smaller shaft. This might have been start of when they were working on separate lifts for the center and 3pt or forward areas. As they were, front stuff went up and rear went down in same stroke. Vice-versa for other directions.  I'm not sure in this set-up how they can run mower separate, but might have been a future thought?  I'll try to scan the pages and post. New puter, haven't done any scanning yet and not sure it is set-up yet. Cross your fingers.

I think you're on to something GL.  I was looking at the other shaft as being in the rear.  It's the one in the center so the larger rod was to work the front and rear implements and the smaller one would be to lift the mower deck.  I guess mine did have that but having never taken it apart, I never really saw it there.  I think we can call that a mystery solved.

• MNGB said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 03:46 PM

Scanner not W10 copat.I guess, cant load. So took cam pix. Hope they show enuf.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151229_153446.jpg
  • 20151229_153420.jpg
  • 20151229_153047.jpg

• MNGB said thank you

#10 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hi  "I think we can call that a mystery solved." not so fast boys I have just learned that its purpose is to keep bar level per Larry Goss

" It keeps the bar level so it can be extended to lift the snow plow, snow blower, etc. Otherwise, the front end of that rod would move up and down. There are two holes in the clevis of that rod, and the "idler" lever should be bolted to the one in the rear."

I'm going to check this out further but it won't be for a few days as I've been barred from my shop for a bit.

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,218 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:32 PM

Hi  "I think we can call that a mystery solved." not so fast boys I have just learned that its purpose is to keep bar level per Larry Goss

" It keeps the bar level so it can be extended to lift the snow plow, snow blower, etc. Otherwise, the front end of that rod would move up and down. There are two holes in the clevis of that rod, and the "idler" lever should be bolted to the one in the rear."

I'm going to check this out further but it won't be for a few days as I've been barred from my shop for a bit.

I've known Larry for years and respect his knowledge but I think I will have to disagree on this one.  In the pics that GL posted, it says right on it "rotary mower lift" so...  Perhaps another function is leveling but it's mainly the lift rod for the mower deck.

• MNGB said thank you

#12 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:17 PM

It reverses rotation of half of the shaft.

The main push rod shoves forward on the bottom of the right side of the jackshaft ... rotating it counterclockwise looking from right side of tractor.

The crooked push rod shoves on the top side of the jackshaft ... rotating it clockwise looking from the same left side of the tractor.

• MNGB said thank you

#13 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,007 Thanks
  • 833 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Yea I see what your saying guys and I've been trying to figure out the leveling thing and it don't compute for my brain and Glenn you are so right the bigger / main rod moves its tab forward and the smaller rod rotates its tab rearward, ok I think I get it the small rod raises and lowers the deck and the larger one raises and lowers front attachments like a dozer blade or snowblower. And that's how I connected my plow lift assy using the larger rod clevis.

Now I'm thinking the mystery is solved, thanks guys I like it when the light comes on :wave:

Edited by MNGB, December 29, 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#14 Glenn Ayers OFFLINE  

Glenn Ayers
  • Member No: 65363
  • 35 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Zackly !

• MNGB said thank you

#15 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:26 AM

I saw Larry's comment on the PK list too and didn't follow it at all. Then later he said it was to have the middle lift and the 3pt both go UP together, instead of opposite of each other as in past models. Then it made sense and kinda what is being said above here now with opposite movement of the shaft halves.

• MNGB said thank you