Time to Vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

'96 Toro 16-44hxl belt keeps falling off.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 logan080502 OFFLINE  

logan080502

• Member No: 2902
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 01:51 PM

Bought a used toro this year, needed a new belt after putting it on it never seems tight enough and keeps falling off. I bought a v-belt thats the same size but not Toro will that make any difference and is there a way to tighten the belt when disengaged?

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,893 Thanks
  • 5,420 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi and welcome.
There are usually guides that stop the belt from falling off the pulleys, they are easily adjusted or bent back in place.
Where about's are you from, I had a lawn tractor that I sold last yr just like the one you have.

#3 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 496 Thanks
  • 447 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:20 PM

Tractor drive belt 93-3883 {HAx88.19"}

6888 Gates 1/2"x88"

4L880W Napa 1/2"x88"

248-088 Stens 1/2"x88"

84880 Goodyear 1/2"x88"

Not listed @ Dayco L488 1/2"x88" Guess

.500"x088.19"

Your tractor's long model number is 71196 and 6912345 should work for a serial number. At this site
https://lookup3.toro...fm?xCaller=Toro
the transaxle page shows 2 wire guides bolted to the left and right frame rails to keep the belt on the transmission pulley. The engine assembly page shows 3 more.

You can download 8 manuals from here
https://lookup3.toro...est/request.cfm
with one of them being a service manual.

Garry

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,893 Thanks
  • 5,420 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 03:48 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the belt he's having trouble with would be the mower deck belt, he say's when disengaged it falls of.
That tractor is hydro drive so that belt would always be under tension and the mower deck has a manually engaged drive for it so it's the one that would be loosened up when disengaged???

#5 logan080502 OFFLINE  

logan080502

• Member No: 2902
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 04:25 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the belt he's having trouble with would be the mower deck belt, he say's when disengaged it falls of.
That tractor is hydro drive so that belt would always be under tension and the mower deck has a manually engaged drive for it so it's the one that would be loosened up when disengaged???

After a while working on it tightening guide it started working and then again it kept falling off only this time it stayed on one side of the engine pulley and ended up cutting through the belt. looks like ill buying another belt.
DH1 Im in Ky, is there anyway to tighten the belt a little more before engaged it just doesnt seem tight enough. I'm worried its the idler pilley that engages the belt, there is a little spring with 2 ends underneath it but i cant tell what theyre for one end just seems to scratch the dech but it seems like they should be attached to something 8

#6 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 496 Thanks
  • 447 posts

Posted April 23, 2011 - 04:44 PM

Could be. I'm used to an idler pulley on the hydro model drive belts. Looks like the only mowers for the 16-44hxl is a 44" recycler model 79108 or the 79105 with a force reduction kit.
Manuals for both can be downloaded from Toro using 6912345 for a serial number.
Both models use
Toro 93-3884 {HAx130"}
No replacement @ Gates
No replacement @ Napa
Not listed @ Stens
A128 Goodyear 1/2"x130"
Not listed @ Dayco
.500"x130"

Garry

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:10 AM

I'm not familiar with the Toro badged machines, but I know that the V belts for their Wheel Horse lines all had a special taper to them and the pulleys tend to shred non-Toro belts. I tried an aftermarket belt...once, It lasted a week before it came apart. After I put the Toro belt on, I got about 10 years out of it. Just changed it last week for plow day. The old belt was still OK, just stretched a little and slipped occasionally. That's my $.02.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,893 Thanks
  • 5,420 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 08:55 AM

After a while working on it tightening guide it started working and then again it kept falling off only this time it stayed on one side of the engine pulley and ended up cutting through the belt. looks like ill buying another belt.
DH1 Im in Ky, is there anyway to tighten the belt a little more before engaged it just doesnt seem tight enough. I'm worried its the idler pilley that engages the belt, there is a little spring with 2 ends underneath it but i cant tell what theyre for one end just seems to scratch the dech but it seems like they should be attached to something 8

So which belt are you having trouble with, the hydro drive belt or the mower deck belt?

The hydro drive belt should be tight all the time if not something wrong with the tensioner, most likely the spring.
The mower deck drive belt, on mine was really sloppy when disengaged, for sure you need all the belt guides in place, maybe 1 has fallen off. If I remember right there are 2 on the crankshaft pulley, 1 each side.

And if your in Ky then you don't have the tractor I sold last yr.