#1 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:54 PM

It's that time of year again. The local HO scale slot car club is having their annual "Invitational" so they needed the cars' graphics done up for this event. The 13th year so the roof number is the same on all of them. I was one of the founding members of that club but just ran out of time for playing with them. The club is in good hands!

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 13th invitational 006.jpg
  • 13th invitational 001.jpg
  • 13th invitational 002.jpg
  • 13th invitational 004.jpg
  • 13th invitational 005.jpg

• Gtractor, Alc, Cvans and 8 others have said thanks

#2 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 941 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:56 PM

They look good
  • MFDAC and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:02 AM

Who still makes them? I had Aurora back in. 60's and 70s. New stuff was cheapie when I looked, then disappeared.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#4 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:54 AM

That's a lot of fun

• MFDAC said thank you

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I like number 4. Looks like an original corvette colour. What does the under carriage look like. Wheels, motor, etc.

Noel
  • MFDAC said thank you

#6 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 443 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:56 AM

I wish I could show you Noel but they were leaving our lot...lol!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20150423_101128.jpg

• MFDAC and propane1 have said thanks

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:40 PM

Who still makes them? I had Aurora back in. 60's and 70s. New stuff was cheapie when I looked, then disappeared.

There are at least two companies that are making reproduction Aurora stuff. Dash Motorsports and Auto World. These are not from them though. Bob "Mr. Aurora" Beers made these bodies as well as the Mercury hot rods I posted a year ago. He is hands down the biggest collector of everything Aurora and has even gotten into this kind of manufacturing. I'll explain the chassis in the reply to Noel.

I like number 4. Looks like an original corvette colour. What does the under carriage look like. Wheels, motor, etc.

Noel

The guy putting these cars together didn't bring the chassis as they are "shaking them down" for the race this coming Sunday, but I took the same thing from one of my cars. They are using New Old Stock original Aurora A/FX chassis---the first style with the clip-on bodies. The wheels will probably be these A/FX mags, the chassis is identical except theirs will be using the 8 ohm "Mean Green" armatures instead of the gold 15 ohm. And of course theirs are NOS, not run hard like my chassis! A front tire fell off in one pic and I didn't see it. I had to use one chassis to show the wheels and top of chassis and another one for the bottom pic to show the correct parts. Most of my stuff has been modified around a lot.

DAC 

Attached Thumbnails

• 13th invitational 011.jpg
  • 13th invitational.jpg
  • 13th invitational 008.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, December 29, 2015 - 07:49 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Got it now. They look a lot like the cars I had many years ago. Mine had brayed wire brushes to contact the wires in the track. Lots of fun. A little oil under the tires made it fun to drive. Like that number 4 covette. Is it about a 1970 model.
Thanks for the pictures,
Noel
  • MFDAC said thank you

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Heck, at one time at rummage my Mother bought an old original set. It had "vibrating" motors in them. Most didn't go too good, but one would really haul!  That was my favorite until I learned about the new style pancake motors in modern ones. The reed motors just had a flex read and it rubbed on the WIDE axle gear that had tiny little ridges on it to make them go. Just vibrated up/down like crazy. If they didn't work anymore, they just sat on track shaking around and spinning backwards and coming out of the slots and contacs till they stopped.

Later I had big ?/32nd size and even big ?/24 guage cars. The all had braided brushes and bigger motors, and you could change axles and slicks and gears and all kinds of parts. Those were sizes used on the big public raceways in big Cities.  Strombecker or Stromberg or ?? were big in stores.  They also disappeared later. Chinese tried to make them work, but were never as good of quality and most died off in later years. I had some really big tracks and parts, but couldn't buy cars for them anymore so went to good will or something when I left home. Wish I had all those sets today!

• MFDAC said thank you

#10 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 11:16 PM

Got it now. They look a lot like the cars I had many years ago. Mine had brayed wire brushes to contact the wires in the track. Lots of fun. A little oil under the tires made it fun to drive. Like that number 4 covette. Is it about a 1970 model.
Thanks for the pictures,
Noel

Yeah I'd say about 1970, I don't think the L88 hood scoop went much further than that. I never ran any HO scale with the wire brushes but every scale bigger used them. You're welcome for the pics, Noel.

Heck, at one time at rummage my Mother bought an old original set. It had "vibrating" motors in them. Most didn't go too good, but one would really haul!  That was my favorite until I learned about the new style pancake motors in modern ones. The reed motors just had a flex read and it rubbed on the WIDE axle gear that had tiny little ridges on it to make them go. Just vibrated up/down like crazy. If they didn't work anymore, they just sat on track shaking around and spinning backwards and coming out of the slots and contacs till they stopped.

Later I had big ?/32nd size and even big ?/24 guage cars. The all had braided brushes and bigger motors, and you could change axles and slicks and gears and all kinds of parts. Those were sizes used on the big public raceways in big Cities.  Strombecker or Stromberg or ?? were big in stores.  They also disappeared later. Chinese tried to make them work, but were never as good of quality and most died off in later years. I had some really big tracks and parts, but couldn't buy cars for them anymore so went to good will or something when I left home. Wish I had all those sets today!

As you said, the "Vibrators" were the predecessor to the "ThunderJet" pancake armature cars. There were other companies like Atlas and Marx making HO scale cars too but Aurora became king. The Vibrators were AC power and of course all cars after them were DC voltage.

I've got a few original T-Jets from around 1964 and a couple other old ones from the late 60's. I probably should have used them for the above pics.

We had a huge 1/24th commercial track here from the mid-sixties to around 1973. I raced there religiously, and the first owner of the place was kinda sweet on my single Mom so I got some pretty good deals on cars and parts back around 1967-68! Home 1/32 tracks by companies like Carrerra are still quite popular and can be bought at Hobby Lobby and even Jegs auto parts catalogs.

Thanks for the comments!

DAC

• propane1 said thank you