#1 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:06 PM

2 Months ago we got a black lab puppy named callie. She's the sweetest puppy you could ask for.

we got her at 6 weeks old. 2 weeks later our cat scratched her eye. It was red and infected.

So we took her to the vet and got her medicine. The medicine made it not infected but her eye was enlarged because of high pressure. So we tokk her to the vet for a weekly check up. They didn't say anything about the OBVIOSLY enlarged eye. We took her to the vet for another check up. All of a sudden it's a big deal. So we rushed to the oncologist. We found out she was blind in that eye and had glaucoma. If we took her in as soon as her eye was enlarged (Because of high eye pressure) which was a week ago, She wouldn't be blind. Now because the pressure won't go down we have to take her eye out. This wendsday is the surgery so we're hoping everything will be fine. 

Sorry to go off topic but this has been on my mind for a while and im pretty nervous...

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:37 PM

Don't be sorry for the post we are all here for each other. Pets, or any trouble we have in the gt talk family!

Sorry to hear about the pup. Her other eye is OK? So she won't be completely blind? I assume this is traumatic glaucoma from the scratch?

Dogs adapt so quickly to changes in their body. I am sure she will be just fine. I will say a prayer for your little pup.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 28, 2015 - 07:40 PM.

• grnspot110, boyscout862, karl and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Dogs are like my own children around here. So sorry for that pup. Hope everything goes well for you guys!
  • grnspot110, boyscout862, Oldford and 1 other said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Sorry to hear this trouble. I have learned to go directly to a vet who knows what to do, and how do you know if they are good or not. I lost a cat, because of going back to the same vet, numerous times, and not going directly to the vet college. The next cat we got, had the same trouble. Only went to the vet once, then to the vet college. First cat died, second one lived. We were to late for the first cat, it went beyond fixing.

Noel
  • boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:52 PM

My dog is the closest thing I will ever have to a child. We were just in this morning to see about a growth in his mouth.

Fortunately, I go to a second generation vet, and he knows his stuff. The breeders swear by him, and he's the best for large breed dogs. We've had several dogs go into the mid to late second decade because of him. And these were all large breed dogs with short expectancies.

I'm sorry about the poor pups eye, but he is just a pup, and he will adapt beautifully.
If it was me the vet that misdiagnosed it would get a shot in the head, but, that's just me.
  • grnspot110, boyscout862, Oldford and 4 others have said thanks

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 882 Thanks
  • 494 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:33 PM

Sorry about your pup.

As toomanytoys84 pointed out they adapt to just about anything.  I think you'll find the dog does just fine.

• boyscout862 and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#7 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Don't be sorry for the post we are all here for each other. Pets, or any trouble we have in the gt talk family!

Sorry to hear about the pup. Her other eye is OK? So she won't be completely blind? I assume this is traumatic glaucoma from the scratch?

Dogs adapt so quickly to changes in their body. I am sure she will be just fine. I will say a prayer for your little pup.

They say the scratch has nothing to do with the glaucoma. They said she was born with problems in that eye and that she was ging to go blind eventually. Her other eye is fine and she seems to be fine with playing and moving around.

• boyscout862 and Oldford have said thanks

#8 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:40 PM

I would like to thank everybody for their nice words and will keep updates.

• boyscout862, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#9 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:26 AM

I'd go back to the vet that did/said nothing on your second visit and say something regarding them not doing anything about it then. Not only is the pup going to loose her one eye, but you're going to have to pay to remove it... Yeah I'm kinda cut from a different cloth I guess, cause I wouldn't be any to happy with them. 

• 637Yeoman said thank you

#10 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:56 AM

Sorry for your troubles.  Young dogs usually do fine with surgery.  Our 5 year old just came through fine and healed quick.  Good luck with your pup,

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:23 AM

I agree totally with going to that vet that did nothing the first time.  I ran into a similar situation with a small dog with a cough.  Give him these pill & $50 please.  Didn't help.  Went back,  Different pill & $50.  Still not right went back again.  Back to the first pill and give longer + another $50 but this time I griped at having to keep coming back for the same thing and them not helping the situation. Vet was going through another door and said "We don't mind at all" and laughed.  Never got that $50 and threw the pills all over the counter & floor.  Went to another vet and right away siad he had water around the heart.  Started him on water pills and cough went away in a couple days.  Been with that vet for close to 20 years.

• KennyP, propane1, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Sorry your having problems with the vet.

I personally get real frustrated with vets and people dr's  that just treat the symptoms and never bother to get to the issue causing the problem. Especially bad with pets because they can't explain, other than to bite somebody ! Seems like that first vet needs a good bite in the backside !

Hope things improve for her and you.

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 10:38 AM

Sorry to hear about the pup.  We have had issues with vets in the past as well.  As been said find a new vet, your pets will thank you.

#14 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:24 PM

I'd go back to the vet that did/said nothing on your second visit and say something regarding them not doing anything about it then. Not only is the pup going to loose her one eye, but you're going to have to pay to remove it... Yeah I'm kinda cut from a different cloth I guess, cause I wouldn't be any to happy with them. 

We arnet happ with them at all. The only reason we are having them take it out is because we dont know any other vets that can and we don't have time. It's getting worse every day.

I agree totally with going to that vet that did nothing the first time.  I ran into a similar situation with a small dog with a cough.  Give him these pill & $50 please.  Didn't help.  Went back,  Different pill & $50.  Still not right went back again.  Back to the first pill and give longer + another $50 but this time I griped at having to keep coming back for the same thing and them not helping the situation. Vet was going through another door and said "We don't mind at all" and laughed.  Never got that $50 and threw the pills all over the counter & floor.  Went to another vet and right away siad he had water around the heart.  Started him on water pills and cough went away in a couple days.  Been with that vet for close to 20 years.

They have given us 4 difffernt meds that haven't done anything at 40$ a pop then 400$ for surgery it adds up.

Sorry your having problems with the vet.

I personally get real frustrated with vets and people dr's  that just treat the symptoms and never bother to get to the issue causing the problem. Especially bad with pets because they can't explain, other than to bite somebody ! Seems like that first vet needs a good bite in the backside !

Hope things improve for her and you.

I'd like to give her a piece of my mind but my parents wouldn't approve...

#15 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Sorry for your troubles.  Young dogs usually do fine with surgery.  Our 5 year old just came through fine and healed quick.  Good luck with your pup,

We had the surgery today.

Everything went well. It irrataes her some and she likes to rub at it.

The vet was supposed to give us one of those cone thingies so she couldn't itch it.

Tommorow we have to go back and get one.

It is pretty well swollen. she will get the stiches out in two weeks.

• MH81 and Oldford have said thanks