6 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Got up this morning to snow. Went out about 10:00 to check up on my parents.
Ran out the lane in 2 wd, but highway was ice packed so swithched to 4 wd.,
Got Diesel for the tractor, nearly full but the can was empty.
12:30 they reported 3 inches measured in Newton so went out about 1:00 and had 10 inch drifts in the lane. Came in about 2:00. at about 3:00 granddaughter asked if it was hail she was seeing? Sleet is now coming down really heavy. I took the tractor out the lane and decided there was not enough to bother plowing yet.
  • KennyP, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#2 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:34 PM

4 wheel drive is great in snow, but it will get you into BIG trouble quick on ice!

Ask me how I know!

• chieffan and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:57 PM

4 wheel drive is great in snow, but it will get you into BIG trouble quick on ice!
Ask me how I know!

Yes you have to learn how to drive a 4 wd. My first one was an S10 Blazer 2 dr. Twice the short wheelbase/high center of gravity put me in the ditch. It would swap ends in a heartbeat. 1st time was in 12 inches of snow and the second was on ice. Both times the 4wd allowed me to drive back out. I am not one of those that consider it necessary, but living in a rural area and in my 60s and less able to walk out if stuck in a storm it is nice to have.
Incidently the snow is coming down faster than it has all day. About 2 inches an hour now.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 28, 2015 - 07:01 PM.

• Oldford, propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,003 Thanks
  • 678 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:46 PM

We are getting it pretty bad now in central Wisconsin, they say about an inch an hour but looks closer to two! It has been going now for six hours, bad part is fifty mile an hour winds. This could get interesting if it goes all night.good thint all the equipment is ready to go!
  • Oldford said thank you

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:48 PM

Wow, that's a lot of snow per hour. We have had snow for the last two days. Sick of it. Please keep it at your place. !!

Noel

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,170 Thanks
  • 4,515 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:56 AM

We did not get near as much as they were predicting.  Maybe 2" if you flatten out all the drifts.  Have a drift in front of the garage door but drive is clear.  Have some hand work to do but don't think I will even bother to start either tractor up.  Might move some with the blade after I get it away from the doors but that would be all.  Not enough to put the wear and tear on the tractor for.

Have had 4X4 for years and would not be without one.  Use it more on the acreage than on the highway.  If I get that 4 X 4 Kubota going the next vehicle may not be a 4 X 4, but in this country 4 X 4 is standard on about every vehicle that shows up.  Hard to find a 2 wheel drive any more and most are standard cab units.

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 11:49 AM

well it seems to have ended with around 8-10 inches here. Neighbor cleared the lane last night, so all I vhave to dig out is my drive. Got the end at the lane done and had a drift about 3 ft deep.
  • KennyP said thank you