Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Massey MF16 and Tiller coming home with me tonight.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:20 AM

I knew things would turn around and thanks to Mike aka hooligan he found this one in Jersey on craigslist.

I am going out tonight to pick it up. The guy is holding it for me till I get out there. It is a 74, he said it has been garage kept all it's life. The shortblock was replaced a couple years ago with a new oem. Has a tiller that he said is in excellent condition and was barely used. It also has the 3pt and he has all of the original manuals for everything.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:56 AM

You'll like it for sure! I had an MF14 but sold her to pay for the 1650's. It uses a looong belt from mule drive to the tiller, but I hear they do very good. Same hydro & diff as the 50 & 55 series.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:04 AM

I still want a 1655 or a 1855, just I have been wanting a 16 longer since there were less produced so to me and I am sure others makes it rare to have. Eventually I will have one of everything, I just don't know if the wife will make me disappear to 6' below in the dirt before I get there LOL

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 04:33 PM

That's great George! Glad you got it!!! Can't wait to see the pics.:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap:

#5 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 05:54 PM

Glad you got it George.:thumbs:It's funny how things work out,you can look and look for something and then out of the blue there's something you like and it's close by.Those are the best deals. Larry.:ok:

#6 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 08:18 PM

Lucky, i wish i could find stuff like that. Of course i just got 2 MF12s off ebay.

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 17, 2010 - 09:29 PM

Well, good news is I went to see it, bad news is it didn't come home with me. It is late and I need to go to bed and I will follow this up tomorrow. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 06:40 AM

Lucky, i wish i could find stuff like that. Of course i just got 2 MF12s off ebay.

Did you get the two that were listed in York, PA Alex?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 06:51 AM

Well to finish up the story. I never thought I would walk away from a MF 16 but I just couldn't do it. Pretty much everything the guy told me about it was bs. It cost me about $140 to go out there and back which makes it worse coming back empty handed. The guy wasn't budging on the price, he had probably close to a $2 million dollar home and he said he doesn't care if it sells or not. Here is a list of everything that would have needed work and or replaced.

Dash was broke, looked like cookie monster took a bite out of the top of it.
Hood was bent up a decent amount, probably could have been straightened but would have taken quite a bit of time to do
There were a few extra holes drilled in the hood also along with a handle mounted on the hood by the steering wheel to open it
grill was bent up but workable
screen was bent up but workable
electric pto wasn't working
there was about a 1 ft square amount of metal missing from the mower deck
there was no 3pt which he said it had
the spindles were shot
steering column moved about 2" in each direction

He would only come down to 900 because the electric pto wouldn't work. If he would have come down to 700 I would have taken it but between paying 900 and all the work that would have went in to it just to make it mechanically sound wasn't worth it to me. Maybe I am a jacka$$ for passing on it but such is life I guess.

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 07:18 AM

Way to many times the seller thinks he's sitting on a gold mine.It's a pita when you go the distance and come home empty handed.Larry

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 07:24 AM

He may very well get what he is asking for it and probably will but not from me.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 09:04 AM

He may very well get what he is asking for it and probably will but not from me.

I highly doubt he'll get even close to that price. Sure do hate to hear the hoops you've been led through. He's likely computer savvy, but saying he wasn't got him off the hook for sending good pics. He's nothing but trickery.:mad2:

#13 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 10:30 AM

Finding an honest guy, is getting harder and harder. Sorry this deal didn't work for you George but, to me, it sounds like walking away from the deal was a smart thing for you to do.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 10:55 AM

Finding an honest guy, is getting harder and harder. Sorry this deal didn't work for you George but, to me, it sounds like walking away from the deal was a smart thing for you to do.

I take most of the blame though for believing the guy without pictures and him being so far away. If I would have been a little more patient and waited for him to send pics I would have know to start negotiating before I headed out and if he wouldn't budge then I wouldn't have gone, but then I also know my luck and if I would have put it off for pictures the thing would have been awesome and already sold. I guess that is the game to play.

#15 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, too bad but I agree about the shape it was in and the price. it wouldn't have been worth it. Yes, they were the 2 tractors in York, PA.