LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:48 PM

I've started reading the "Longmire" books by Craig Johnson. I know, it's not really intellectual. Its a toy for my brain.
  • hamman, boyscout862, ol' stonebreaker and 2 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 09:22 PM

I'm always embarrassed to post what I'm reading. I tell people I read at least 2 books a week. And they ask me what I read the when I explain they tease me. But I know you guys won't poke me too hard.

I tend to stay with fantasy, steampunk, high fantasy or any space age stuff. Reading for me is an escape before I go to bed. I read about an hour. I don't want to read depressing or non fiction books. I want to be taken away to a new world where anything can happen.

Right now I'm reading a fantasy series written by don mcquinn. It's about 500 years ago the world nuked itself to death. Before the bombs fell the military put thousands of people in cryogenic freeze. Most of them didn't make it. They wake up 500 years after the bombs fell and realize only 9 of them made it. They explore the world and realize that not everyone perished and there are many people alive yet. That formed new cultures and civilations. It's a 9 book series about 400 pages per book. Its been a great read.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 27, 2015 - 09:25 PM.

• hamman, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 09:42 PM

Have a bookcase full of western novels, J.A. Johnson, Zane Grey, ROMER Zane Gray and Maxx Brand.
I break that up a bit with Patterson, Clive Cussler books. And Marcus Lutrell and CHRIS kyle bios.
  • hamman, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#4 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 293 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 10:27 PM

I've been thinking about breaking out the Louis L'Amour and re-reading them, most of which is paperback. 

• hamman, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 10:54 PM

Mostly the cereal box...

In all seriousness i'll probalbly read "The man called noon" by Louis La'mour

• hamman, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 10:57 PM

I'm always embarrassed to post what I'm reading. I tell people I read at least 2 books a week. And they ask me what I read the when I explain they tease me. But I know you guys won't poke me too hard.

I tend to stay with fantasy, steampunk, high fantasy or any space age stuff. Reading for me is an escape before I go to bed. I read about an hour. I don't want to read depressing or non fiction books. I want to be taken away to a new world where anything can happen.

Right now I'm reading a fantasy series written by don mcquinn. It's about 500 years ago the world nuked itself to death. Before the bombs fell the military put thousands of people in cryogenic freeze. Most of them didn't make it. They wake up 500 years after the bombs fell and realize only 9 of them made it. They explore the world and realize that not everyone perished and there are many people alive yet. That formed new cultures and civilations. It's a 9 book series about 400 pages per book. Its been a great read.

I'm not really in to that stuff but it sounds pretty interesting

• hamman said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 11:35 PM

Honestly? More GT talk!

• Gtractor, Alc, hamman and 6 others have said thanks

#8 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Service manuals and websites ordering parts for cars, trucks, tractors and other stuff..  My time reading is pretty much web-based anymore..  It's been quite a while since I've cracked open a book..  News and political BS and fact finding via the web can be tricky separating the fact from BS..  

• Alc, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:54 AM

If I am wiring on some electronic or audio DIY project I will be researching an reading theory etc. For books it's usually murder mysteries. Mostly the classics, Christie, P D James Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh etc although I have read them all at least once. 

• boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:32 AM

My treasures from library sales. The libraries around here collect donated books. They put on the shelves what they want and then have a sale of the books they don't want. The last hour of each sale is "$2 per bag". We go when they open and get the books we really want at $2 per book(hardbacks) and then come back for the last hour for anything that might be interesting. About 20 books fit in a bag so that makes them only 10 cents per book. As we read, many go into boxes to donate to our small town library. The libraries donate their leftover books to overseas charities and the VA hospital.

I tend towards military histories, Gary Paulsen books(if you love dogs, you have to read "My Life in Dog Years"), and humor. The last sale, I picked up a collection of "Lake Wobegone" books. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 28, 2015 - 07:33 AM.

• LilysDad and Oldford have said thanks

#11 Buddy ONLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:34 AM

This web site.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I don't do much book reading.  Subscribe to a couple magazines, GT, Outdoor Railroad and woodworking related.  Rest is on the internet starting here.  Like to research different tools and fix it stuff that come out.  Tend to stay away from U-tube as it eats bandwidth like crazy.  Always have a project or two in the basement shop to work on.  And there is always the pool table to sharpen my skills.

• boyscout862, LilysDad and HANKG have said thanks

#13 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 943 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:33 AM

1984, by George Orwell
  • boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:35 AM

What is this "reading" thing you discuss? :D

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Tecumseh power have said thanks

#15 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 10:46 AM

I've started reading the "Longmire" books by Craig Johnson. I know, it's not really intellectual. Its a toy for my brain.

I have a couple "intellectual" books on the night stand i just can't finish.  "Once you put it down you can't pick it back up."  Chekov short stories and Thomas Mann short stories. 

Lately the only books i've been finishing are on new mexico, used to live there and would like to go back..

I recently finished a 400p book, the guy claimed it was true but the rest of the world would probably say fantasy.  It was written 20 years ago by a scientist from Hawaii looking 5000 years ahead.  Basically in our time the oceans rise real fast from global warming, which is what they called it back then.  Big tidal waves flood california to the coastal mountains.  Takes out all shipping ports around the world, no more oil, gas, food distribution.   Mass starvations and probably violent bands of marauders but he doesn't get into that part too much.

He "sees" into the cal/nevada area, the only survivors in 5000 years in that region are from the flooded islands (hawaii etc) who sail to the west coast once the tidal waves recede.  And eskimos who migrate down to interior nevada area.  The western desert becomes a tropical rainforest, with huge predators that escaped when the zoos collapsed.  Lions, Tigers, rhinos, also elephants, monkeys, cobras, etc.  Also aggressive steer bulls protecting their cows from hunters.

He gives a lot of scientific reasons why this happens, although it is based on his hawaiian faith and the people are back to the bow and arrow phase of life.  Banded together in tribes for survival.  All technology is lost except for soft metals that don't rust so are just for display.  Steel is the new "precious metal" b/c it can be made into tools, unfortunately after 5000 years most of it rusted away and they have no knowledge to mine it.  Former cities are just mounds of jungle rubble where you can dig around if the predators don't ambush you.  Interesting to think about imo

• LilysDad said thank you