cub cadet vintage

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 nitro ONLINE  

• Member No: 71342
  • 40 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 10:28 AM

1450, Kohler k321 hydro.  One tough tractor and really not hard to work on, Quietlines are everywhere and parts are too.  Once I install the dual stick setup I just found it'll be the cat's proverbial rear end.  Solid worker.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1450 front.jpg

• Sawdust and Douglasduek have said thanks

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,679 Thanks
  • 39,056 posts

Posted March 02, 2016 - 07:14 PM

I tend to think the first one was the best!

#18 classic OFFLINE  

• Member No: 52970
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 1,584 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 02:38 AM

I have a Cub 147 with a Johnson loader and it's a tough machine that I work hard. The steering absolutely sucks with the wimpy little ball joint tie rod ends, 3/4" spindles, and two turn steering column. I'm changing out the steering column worm gear to a 3 turn from a John Deere 112, and installing a later Cub Cadet super steer front axle with 1" spindles, 5 lug boat trailer hub assemblies, heim joints, and thrust roller bearings on the spindles. I just picked up another 147 for use with the mower deck, plow, snow thrower, and York rake. I will leave the stock front axle in this tractor since it doesn't have the weight of the loader on the front end.
Lots of negative talk about Briggs here. That's a good thing! Hopefully it keeps the demand and prices down on NOS Briggs parts so I can buy them! The old 23 series Briggs cast iron 9hp engines are a favorite of mine. I work the heck out of my Allis and Simplicity tractors, and haul heavy loads of firewood with my Page tractor. The Tecumseh HH120 engines on the Sears Suburbans are excellent engines. These old Kohlers, Tecumsehs, and Briggs engines all work fine for me and I have no complaints with any of them. Most people seem to dislike a certain brand engine because they own one that gives them trouble. The only reason any of these engines will give a person trouble is if it's worn out from decades of use, or something is out of adjustment. Rebuild any of these engines back to new specs with NOS parts, take care of it properly, and it will run for decades. All of these engines have their downsides. Kohlers can toss balance gears and destroy the engine, Briggs updraft carbs can be a pain if you expect an old crusty worn out Briggs carb to run smoothly by just turning the adjustment screws, and the Solid state ignition and Walbro LME carbs on the Tecumseh engines can drive you nuts. Basically, they all suck when they are worn out, and they are all great engines when the parts are in spec. In defense of the old Briggs, here is a pic of my Page with a Briggs 23DFB 9hp hauling firewood. This tractor always starts right up and hauls a good load of wood with no problem at all, and the tractor is heavy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20151017_135310.jpg

Edited by classic, March 04, 2016 - 02:42 AM.

• jpackard56, Sawdust and nitro have said thanks

#19 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 08:32 AM

Have we figured by now that the best CC is the one you own?

• olcowhand, Chris11, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#20 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,605 Thanks
  • 1,721 posts

Posted March 04, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Have we figured by now that the best CC is the one you own?

YEP!   I knew that.    :D      ​        Rick

• Chris11 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#21 Chris11 OFFLINE  

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,619 Thanks
  • 927 posts

Posted March 06, 2016 - 06:53 PM

I think the 100 was one the best built With creeper gear and fenders, add a rear pto That tractor could do just about anything. But I do love my 582 Chassis it had a blown briggs in it so , I put in a kolher m18 Has the stronger tran and heaver carrier.

#22 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted March 16, 2016 - 08:49 AM

Best tractor? Easy! The one you saw on Craigslist/Ebay/side-of-the-road that you are trying to explain to your wife "why you need to buy it"!

I mean, if it wasn't better than the 6 (WAYYY more for some of y'all....) I already have in the garage, why would I even want to buy it, right dear?!?!?!? I NEED this one because................

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 aagitch OFFLINE  

• Member No: 81045
  • 104 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 02:43 AM

#24 Cublover OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 07:18 PM

My favorite is the one I'm using today. I Like all my CC's. :smilewink:

• Cat385B said thank you

#25 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 08:27 PM

If I wanted a CC someone would have to give it to me. If you gave it to me, it would have to be an 82 series for me to keep it. If I kept it, it would have to have a Series II engine or a better after market. The 50 Series might be interesting, but I've heard concerns about overheating with the enclosed hood.

#26 Eric OFFLINE  

• Member No: 41778
  • 929 Thanks
  • 646 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 04:57 PM

I think the problem with the thinking here is that MTD bought out the line and wanted the reputation that came with it, that being said when you use crap parts on great tractors they become crap tractors! In my mind the engines are only as good as the mechanic working on them unless they are tech engines then your screwed, just kidding. If you like a tractor dont let anyone tell you it is somehow inferior to another, unless its me of course.

#27 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,248 Thanks
  • 7,478 posts

Posted May 25, 2016 - 06:28 PM

I almost forgot the CC pulling tractor with the Kawasaki Hayabusa engine in it. I'm not sure how you can top that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, vintage