• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OldLawnMowerMan81 OFFLINE  

OldLawnMowerMan81
  • Member No: 79096
  • 2 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 12:16 AM

Does anyone on here know if any of the following were the best Cub Cadet tractors ever built?

Specifically, I refer to:

Pre-1981 models with the Briggs & Stratton cast iron single cylinder engine (10 to 16 hp)

1978-1981 models with the Briggs & Stratton twin cylinder engine (16 or 18 hp)

However, the Magnetron electronic ignition wasn't used on engines like these until August 1, 1981, two months after MTD's takeover of Cub Cadet from International Harvester. I want to think the 1982-1984 models were still among the best made. 

Would any of you here happen to own any one of these as described?

~Ben

• BNK and chieffan have said thanks

#2 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 06:47 AM

Welcome to the site Ben! Sorry but I am a K series Kohler man myself but I have had a few 582 CC's with the "L" block Briggs & Stratton. Also I am running a Vanguard in a 1440 that is serving me well currently.
  • Gtractor and chieffan have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:31 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk,
Hope a cub owner has a minute to jump in and put in their 2 cents

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Yeah I have to agree, K series kohler engines were more durable and more torquey than equivalent HP Briggs, especially if we are comparing these Kohlers to aluminum block Briggs.  IDK that CC used any cast iron Briggs,  and I never seen a Tecumseh anything on a CC (in case anyone wants to bring them into the mix)  though my experience with Tecumseh especially from back then seems better than most people's.

My experience with the KT twins though, says that they aren't as good as the Kohler singles, and I hope you have flat ground where you are if you run one of these Kohler twins.. if you want it to stay together. and the KT's are definitely thirstier!

• MH81, Oldford and BNK have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 11:29 AM

:welcometogttalk: 

#6 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Cub cadet 1100 had aluminum Briggs and Stratton, most others ones were kohler k's. But I'm not cub cadet guru, nor have I ever owned one.

Noel
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#7 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 01:38 PM

Yeah I have to agree, K series kohler engines were more durable and more torquey than equivalent HP Briggs, especially if we are comparing these Kohlers to aluminum block Briggs.  IDK that CC used any cast iron Briggs,  and I never seen a Tecumseh anything on a CC (in case anyone wants to bring them into the mix)  though my experience with Tecumseh especially from back then seems better than most people's.
My experience with the KT twins though, says that they aren't as good as the Kohler singles, and I hope you have flat ground where you are if you run one of these Kohler twins.. if you want it to stay together. and the KT's are definitely thirstier!

I have had a few 782's with the series II engines....one had over 1,800 hrs but we know that engine is a pressure lube power plant. Then the Kohler magnum 18 after that if I remember right. I can not recall any B&S cast iron's in any production CC?

#8 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 02:13 PM

I won't buy a cub with a Briggs. Only kohlers. I personally would cut my lawn with scissors than use a piece of equipment with a Briggs!

Best cub GT ever made to me is a 128 I love that tractor.
  • dodge trucker and BNK have said thanks

#9 coinman66 ONLINE  

coinman66
  • Member No: 72594
  • 163 Thanks
  • 273 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 01:21 PM

Why the model 123 of course!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2015-10-29 08.02.02.jpg

• BNK said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:36 PM

I won't buy a cub with a Briggs. Only kohlers. I personally would cut my lawn with scissors than use a piece of equipment with a Briggs!

Best cub GT ever made to me is a 128 I love that tractor.

I don't quite have that much dislike for Briggs, at least the engines they built 20+ years ago but I certainly do for Hondas and their clones, along with the "predators" and the newest thing to show up on gas powered equipment, these "powermore" engines...

I don't care for any manufacturer's current lineup. None. 

Considering engines from  back then though, I'd usually take a Tecumseh over a Briggs though and a Kohler over either. but  I wouldn't pass up a Briggs powered piece of equip, if the rest of the unit was in good shape and priced reasonable.

• Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:15 PM

I don't quite have that much dislike for Briggs, at least the engines they built 20+ years ago but I certainly do for Hondas and their clones, along with the "predators" and the newest thing to show up on gas powered equipment, these "powermore" engines...
I don't care for any manufacturer's current lineup. None.

Considering engines from back then though, I'd usually take a Tecumseh over a Briggs though and a Kohler over either. but I wouldn't pass up a Briggs powered piece of equip, if the rest of the unit was in good shape and priced reasonable.

I have a great respect for how tough the Honda and predator engines are. I've built them things up to spin over 9k rpm and spit out some power for go karts and minibikes. However I do not want them on lawn equipment.

I agree with the Tecumseh over Briggs and Kohler over both. I however love vintage Tecumseh engines on minibikes. My favorite is the hs50 and h50. My only hate for Tecumseh is the carbs.

I just don't have any love for briggs engines.

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 09:25 PM

What is the criteria for a 'best' CC? most hp? Most weight? Most attachments? Almost every thing I can think of is subjective,such as hydro vs stick.

#13 Cub123 OFFLINE  

Cub123
  • Member No: 27785
  • 94 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 10:36 PM

The "best" cub is the one that works for you and does the job you need it to.
To my knowledge IH never had a single cylinder briggs larger than 11hp, decent tractors for mowing Etc. But most had the 4 speed peerless or peerless hydro rather than the IH rear end, so they wouldent be best for plowing Etc. The 582 I believe is the only IH with a twin Briggs (16hp), and is a good tractor with the direct drive and cast iron rear ( in IH models). For me, the Kohler and Kubota diesel powered GTs and SGTs are best because we have a large yard/farm. But to just mow and pull a small yard wagon the lighter duty machines would be just fine.
  • olcowhand said thank you

#14 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:15 AM

147 is the best!:)  Ok I may be bias a little. I like the K engines also. Tec's not so much. Briggs are for push mowers:)

DSC01160.jpg

Regards,

Chris

#15 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 02:37 PM

While they were not Cub Cadets, the IH built rear engine riders had Tecumsehs on some of them.  However these machines were just referred to as Cadets.  The model 60 was one of these machines.  My grandfather had one for a while as a trim mower for between my grandmothers 50 some flower beds.  It had a 4 speed transaxle in it with no reverse gear.  The machine was a belt drive unit that used tighteners engaged by pedals.  Forward was engaged with one pedal that used the crankshaft drive pulley for driving it.  Reverse was accomplished by a seperate foot pedal the same way only the drive pulley was on a shaft that was an extension of the camshaft thus turning the opposite direction.  Neat little mower, I wish he still had it.

Edited by IHCubGuy, January 01, 2016 - 02:39 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cub cadet, vintage