• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JBIowner OFFLINE  

JBIowner
  • Member No: 69752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:57 PM

I am about to get my FEL working and believe I will need to add power steering.  I have a 8" hydraulic cylinder and believe I may be able to slave off the hydraulic pump for the FEL.  I am not sure what type of hydraulic control valve I should use, but was thinking that maybe just a valve similar to a wood splitter would work. I would appreciate any feed back If anyone has added power steering to a JBI.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 04:52 AM

This can be done, but an orbital steering valve is a lot nicer and much more user friendly than a spool valve.
  • chieffan and JBIowner have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I would definitely use a steering orbital valve.  Find a 5 port, as they have a "power beyond" port that sends the excess pressure/volume on past it to go to your lift valve spool.

• LPBolens, Alc, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#4 JBIowner OFFLINE  

JBIowner
  • Member No: 69752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:57 PM

I would definitely use a steering orbital valve.  Find a 5 port, as they have a "power beyond" port that sends the excess pressure/volume on past it to go to your lift valve spool.

I thought I saw a video where you had installed power steering on a JBI. My question is what brand, manfaturer, etc. did you use to control the steering cylinder. Hope you have some specific information for this upgrade on my tractor. If not thanks for you feed back on the orbital valve.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:18 AM

I thought I saw a video where you had installed power steering on a JBI. My question is what brand, manfaturer, etc. did you use to control the steering cylinder. Hope you have some specific information for this upgrade on my tractor. If not thanks for you feed back on the orbital valve.

I used an orbital off a John Deere 345 because I got it cheap.  .  It's a 5 port with the power beyond port which made things simpler.  This orbital valve however was not equipped with JIC fittings as it uses slip-in o-ring type fittings.  I had to braze line ends together.    A column/valve off a JD 318 has JIC fittings, and the cylinder off a 318 will work nicely as well.  HERE is the post in my build thread where I started speaking of the power steering.  Not detailed though.

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and JBIowner have said thanks

#6 Jake ONLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 194 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Dose the older Cub cadet have the same set up as the JD. I can get a cub parts tractor with power steering. Wood like to put on my HD12

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:01 PM

Dose the older Cub cadet have the same set up as the JD. I can get a cub parts tractor with power steering. Wood like to put on my HD12

Would need model number to hazard a guess, but I'd say it could be made to work. If cheap enough I'd buy it anyway. Power steering components aren't cheap to buy.

#8 Jake ONLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 194 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 03:32 PM

Cub Cadet 1864

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 06:46 PM

That steering valve should be adaptable.  The upper steering shaft would likely need to be shortened, but easy enough to do.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power steering