14 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Picked up a 1018 with a blown engine.  Think I have a Briggs 20 hp located at a good price but not sure it will fit.  This is my first CC so not real familiar with them.  Anyone made this switch before?

#2 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 10:12 PM

20hp Twin would be a gamble size wise.Not sure a Twin will fit under your hood.I do know that the lt1018 hood is a few inches narrower than the lt1050 with the 25hp kohler twin.

I put a 12.5 Kohler command Single on my neighbors YardMachines that originally had a junk Tecumseh enduro 13.5hp on it and 42" 2 blade deck.It will snap the 5/8" deck belt before it will stall the engine out.I tried to stall it out mowing the field and couldn't.Should be more than enough for a 48" 3 blade deck.

Here's a 12.5 really cheap if it runs as good as he says it does.It will be a Tight fit but should work fine.Make sure it has the Exhaust header and the muffler if you decide to get it.

http://waterloo.crai...5364940644.html

• chieffan said thank you

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 10:41 PM

Just looked up the torque specs on the 12.5hp kohler command it's (20.5 ft. lb.) @ 2500 and the Briggs ELS 18.5hp OHV single is (25.8 ft. lb.) @ 2500.

5 ft. lb. less.

Should still be more than enough for your lt 1018.Wiring should be almost identical..

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 09:07 AM

20hp Twin would be a gamble size wise.Not sure a Twin will fit under your hood.I do know that the lt1018 hood is a few inches narrower than the lt1050 with the 25hp kohler twin.

I put a 12.5 Kohler command Single on my neighbors YardMachines that originally had a junk Tecumseh enduro 13.5hp on it and 42" 2 blade deck.It will snap the 5/8" deck belt before it will stall the engine out.I tried to stall it out mowing the field and couldn't.Should be more than enough for a 48" 3 blade deck.

Here's a 12.5 really cheap if it runs as good as he says it does.It will be a Tight fit but should work fine.Make sure it has the Exhaust header and the muffler if you decide to get it.

http://waterloo.crai...5364940644.html

I was thinking about the hood also and don't want to chop it up.  That Kohler would be a good buy if it wasn't half was across the state to get it.  Have more in trip expense than the engine.  Would be a better engine though I think.

#5 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 11:01 AM

Is the connecting rod blown on the original engine? Or does it just smoke? If it smokes you might get away with just replacing the Head gasket.The OHV Briggs singles are notoriously known for blowing head gaskets.

They are pretty easy to change and they won't blow again if you Hot torque the new gasket.Basically after you change the head gasket and torque it to spec,start it up and let it warm up real good.Then take the valve cover back off and Re-torque the head bolts while they are good and hot.They will tighten down almost 2 full turns while hot.

Here's the Dimensions of a 20hp V-Twin briggs.

Length (in) 19.1 Width (in) 18.2 Height (in) 14.3

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Is the connecting rod blown on the original engine? Or does it just smoke? If it smokes you might get away with just replacing the Head gasket.The OHV Briggs singles are notoriously known for blowing head gaskets.

They are pretty easy to change and they won't blow again if you Hot torque the new gasket.Basically after you change the head gasket and torque it to spec,start it up and let it warm up real good.Then take the valve cover back off and Re-torque the head bolts while they are good and hot.They will tighten down almost 2 full turns while hot.

Here's the Dimensions of a 20hp V-Twin briggs.

Length (in) 19.1 Width (in) 18.2 Height (in) 14.3

This 18.5 HP Briggs is a Twin cylinder, not a single.  A problem with a push rod PO said and one is missing and both covers are gone.  PO said he was mowing and started to smoke like crazy so he shut it down.  Didn't go into any more details like I really wanted to as it was on top of a hill at 20° with strong SE wind.  Just gave him the $50 and he helped push it on the tilt bed, threw a strap over it and took off.  I will turn over good so not a rod or anything like that.  Haven't messed with it any more as have a Bolens 850 in the shop on the operating table to finish up first.

Due to this 18.5 being a twin I thought possibly a 20 hp would go in OK?  Need to get it in and go further into it before I buy another engine though.  Appreciate that advise EricFromPa.  I have a lot to learn about the cubs if I stay with them.  Second youngest son has messed with all kinds of lawn mowers and said he would help me out on this one.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 12:59 PM

If it has a Twin cylinder in it then another twin will fit.There is no physical size difference between a 18.5 twin and 20hp twin unless Cub Cadet modified the engine to fit which is highly unlikely.

Someone might have replaced the engine allready.All the manuals that I've looked at say it came originally equipped with a pressure lubed 18.5hp Briggs Intek single cylinder.

Just download a couple cub manuals and looked through them.The lt1022 which is the next model up has a Briggs ELS 22hp twin.It has the same hood as your 1018.

So the 20hp Engine WILL fit but it's a tight fit.

Here's a pic of a lt1022 with the twin stuffed under it.It JUST fits.Look how close to the battery tray it is lol.1/8"?

231608-Cub-Cadet-LT1022-(10).jpg

Edited by EricFromPa, December 28, 2015 - 01:00 PM.

• BNK and chieffan have said thanks

#8 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 03:22 PM

Man that is tight but it did go in and that's what counts.  As to the history behind this unit I have no idea.  Here is a photo of what is in the unit now.   Cub Engine.JPG   I have downloaded the manual for the 1018 but haven't looked at it much yet.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,465 Thanks
  • 39,697 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have a Sears with a 25HP B&S. That thing is huge!

#10 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:36 PM

When you do pull the engine go ahead and check the wear on the bronze steering shaft bushing...chances are it will need to be replaced.

#11 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:30 PM

In the photo I posted above you can see the two rockers and push rods on the left side.  Another pair just like them on the right side.  Talked to the PO this morning and he has all the parts he removed.  Forgot to give them to me but has them and will get together and pick them up some time.

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Found out that originally this tractor came with a Briggs 18 hp single.  So the engine has been replaced once already.  The one in it I was told is an older Intek Engine so won't be rebuilding it.  The 20 hp Briggs I had lined up fell through but have a 18 hp Kohler that a dealer has in a tractor with a bad hydro I can probably get.  That would be a better engine anyway.  If it ever warms up some so I can work on stuff will be getting some things together and can start on the cub.  Have a Kubota diesel I need to finish up first and get out of the shop.  No permanent heat in there so want it at least 25° outside with sun before I work in there with portable heater.

Edited by chieffan, January 23, 2016 - 06:30 PM.

#13 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 12:22 PM

Have the 1018 up on the work table and going after it.  Deck off, engine is out and starting the clean up and minor repairs.  The steering shaft bushing was good.  The pay in the steering was due to the flange bushing the quadrant rotates on.  It had real visible wear on both sides that contacted the quadrant.  The gear on the steering shaft will be replaced but not at this time.  Not a big deal to replace that so will get the tractor running first.  Removed that flange bushing and cleaned it up good, then put it back on rotated 90° to have two new wear places.  Adjusted the toe in, graphite under the steering shaft washer and in the bushing and all back together.  Just a little bit of play in the left tie rod end but I can live with that.

Tractor Left.JPG Tractor Frnt.JPG Motor on Floor.JPG

Will be picking up a good used Vanguard 18hp twin next week some time.  Removing it from a parts mower this weekend and will have it running when I pick it up.  Putting on a new Hydro belt  before I bolt the engine down as it is a lot easier to do with the engine free to move around.  I think I might need a pair of blades too.  Anyone know how long they are supposed to be? Not enough left of these to measure.

Blades-1.JPG Blades-2.JPG

• BNK said thank you

#14 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:25 AM

Picked up a Briggs 18 hp opposed twin the other day.  Put a cast iron Bolens hydro drive pulley on and set the motor on the frame.  Like Johnny Cash said " all the holes were gone".  Well almost.  Used a 5/16 to line up the LR bolt and started it in.  The other 3 would not line up close enough to allow the 5/16" bolt through let along start the 3/8" bolts used to anchor it down with.  Had to drill out all 4 holes to 1/2" so I could get the colts in.  New hydro belt is on and motor anchored down.  Will get some photos today when I go back out and work on it more later one.

#15 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,159 Thanks
  • 4,505 posts

Posted February 29, 2016 - 08:17 AM

The Vanguard I was supposed to get would not run.  I already had one of those.  Got an L head instead.  Got it in and running good.  Hydro works nice and smooth.  Had to remove the air ducts work under the hood for this taller engine.  Head lights had to go also.  Don't use lights anyway.  If I can't get it done by dark it will wait till the next day.  Picked up a pair of mulching blades a TS  the other day so can get the deck ready now.  Need a couple back wheels but the rest looks good, after I got it cleaned out.  Will get a pressure washing first though.  Should make the Mrs a nice machine to mow with this summer.  I go in for knee replacement the end of June so under normal conditions there won't be a lot of mowing.  But when was the last time anyone had a "normal" year?

• EricR said thank you