22 replies to this topic

#16 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 08:28 PM

I finished mine. It's super black and looks good. Picked up some new better spatulas to use tonight at bed bath and beyond.

I only cook on cast. My wife refuses. I use the metal spatulas and turners from Pampered Chef. A little pricey but really good quality. Nothing tastes like bacon and dippy eggs cooked in cast!
  • toomanytoys84 and Donaldken have said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 08:36 PM

I only cook on cast. My wife refuses. I use the metal spatulas and turners from Pampered Chef. A little pricey but really good quality. Nothing tastes like bacon and dippy eggs cooked in cast!

I picked up a metal Turner and a metal spatula. Figured those would be easier to use.

Glad I'm on the right track.

I agree there is nothing better than an over easy egg. Although I prefer mine sunny side up with the whites slightly under cooked

#18 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 08:40 PM

One of thing to remember is to allow them time to preheat before you start cooking.my wifee always forgets and thinks its like her others, usually ends badly hence the reason for her not using the cast!
  • toomanytoys84 said thank you

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:35 PM

vegetable oils do not go rancid. animal fats and even olive oils can. Wife always uses vegetable oils to season cast.

And it is recommended for treenware(wood spoons and utensils).

I am sure bacon and salt cured meat fats have been used for several hundred years but current manufacturers recommend vegetable oils.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 26, 2015 - 09:37 PM.

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:46 PM

Jo has put away most of her cast iron, as we are getting older the weight caauses problems with her carpal tunnel.

However she uses the porcelain coated dutch oven a lot.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 26, 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#21 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:05 AM

Gotta gas grill?? Put lard in the pan and put in grill close it up and roast that thing to burnt black! Carbon is natures non stick. Best pan is a well used ...wiped clean pan, soap can ruin them in a heartbeat!! My wife does it every single time she uses the damn things!!!! She has no clue..... I'm so sick of 're seasoning the pans I have, you can not even believe it...
DO NOT WASH THEM OUT WITH SOAP, BURN THEM CLEAN!!!! They will become shiny with carbon and won't even need butter for cooking if taken care of, also they won't rust either. Good luck with them.

Edited by skyrydr2, December 27, 2015 - 07:09 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#22 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:21 AM

When you bake it use peanut oil

#23 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 950 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:10 AM

I finished mine. It's super black and looks good. Picked up some new better spatulas to use tonight at bed bath and beyond.

We use cast iron and plenty from a 5" cast frying pan to a 30 litre cast iron Dutch Oven. Like others have said don't use soap ever.  Some things may stick on occasion and easiest to scrape them off is adding a good putty knife to your kitchen utensil.. Spatulas are one of those things "they don't make like they used to"  Cast requires some oil added as "maintenance" depending on how you are using it..