22 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 11:59 AM

I received a cast iron skillet for Christmas. I've never owned anything cast iron and the only thing I know about it is without proper seasoning you will ruin the skillet.

Those of you who use them what is your process for preparing the skillet?

One I read was wash it down with soap and water. Dry completely. Rub it down with vegetable oil and bake in oven for an hour at 325 then turn off over and let it cool in the oven slowly.

Anyone have a better proven method?
  • Gtractor, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Do you like bacon? If so, cook up a big batch in that skillet. Bacon grease is the best to use!

• boyscout862, Jack, toomanytoys84 and 2 others have said thanks

#3 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 994 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:10 PM

http://www.thekitchn...e-kitchn-107614

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 987 Thanks
  • 669 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:12 PM

We use olive oil when I was working in a restaurant, the method sound about the same just different oil.
  • toomanytoys84 and Oldford have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:24 PM

I'll give it a go! My buddy has one he uses over a camp fire and eggs out it are amazing with no grease or oil. Just the eggs
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Our Scoutmaster was obsessive about cast iron cookware. She has a huge collection and is a terrific cook on a fire. I started to wash a season castiron frying pan and she really yelled at me. Even with a seasoned pan it can absorb some of the soap. The soap can come out later when cooking and can cause the sh*ts. It has ruined some campouts. She says to season the pan by running it in the oven through its self cleaning cycle and then season it.

I suspect that there is alot of acceptable ways to do it. Be very carefull if you have a glas top stove. If you have gas, the food will come out better. Good Luck, Rick

Many of the new Lodge brand is preseasoned so follow their instructions.

Edited by boyscout862, December 26, 2015 - 04:28 PM.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,848 Thanks
  • 3,191 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:31 PM

I use the method you mentioned, with lard for the fat. Then after regular use wash it as little as possible to leave the fat patina on the pan. Re-season when necessary.

When we were in scouting cast iron was the only thing we used on the fire for cooking. The kids were thrilled when they pulled mess duty and I wouldn't let them wash the pans. It makes me happy to know that about 300 young men now know how to treat cast iron cook wear and have probably surprised their wives with the kitchen know-how.

Edited by oldedeeres, December 26, 2015 - 12:37 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Don't want to hyjack this thread,,,   But I have an old 10" frypan that has sat for many years... Wife wouldn't use it.  So it's sitting at the cabin and has a mildew looking appearance....   How about the practice of RE ferbing an old pan..  ( No Rust )   ???

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,611 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Never thought about cast iron for cooking.  The MRS. just uses hers to "line me out" upside the head when I been bad.  :hitting_self_roller:

For cooking she uses that modern no-stick cooking stuff.

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,418 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Don't want to hyjack this thread,,,   But I have an old 10" frypan that has sat for many years... Wife wouldn't use it.  So it's sitting at the cabin and has a mildew looking appearance....   How about the practice of RE ferbing an old pan..  ( No Rust )   ???

On an old crusty pan, build a fire with lots of coals and put it in there till it gets REAL hot! Might work in the oven on clean cycle too. Then season with lard or bacon grease. Just keep the soap away from it!

I 'seasoned a new large skillet by cooking about 3 lbs of bacon in it over an open fire! Nothing would stick in it!

• boyscout862, sodisr, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#11 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 01:04 PM

As stated above, sit the pan in the oven and turn the oven on to self cleaning. It will remove all of the mildew and rust from the skillet when the cycle is through. Let the skillet in the oven so that it will cool down as the oven cools down. When the skillet is cooled, rub it down with olive oil. Been doing it this way for many years and have never had any problems. I usually re-rub the skillets with olive oil about 6 months, depending on how many times we use them throughout the year. Griswald makes the best skillets, but depending on size, they can get a little pricey. Around here, there are collectors so prices for Griswald skillets go sky high. Erie makes a good skillet as well, but they don't seem to hold the oil as long as the Griswald skillets do. My Dad has the complete set of Griswald skillets ranging from the #000 all the way through the #14. He has numerous kettles, deep fryers, and ashtrays as well. My Mom used to claim that cast iron skillets were the only ones to use when wanting to make good brown butter for over vegetables.  

• boyscout862, sodisr, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 01:04 PM

The oil and bake method is the best way.  Just KEEP IT OUT OF SOAPY WATER !  If it HAS to be washed use clear water.  Otherwise using a lint free paper towel and wipe it out.  Wipe on a light coating of oil and store with a clean paper towel over the top to keep it clean.

It don't make any difference how old a cast iron skillet is as long as it has not rusted.  Season and use it the same way.  If it is rusty do like you would with any other cast iron - blast it.

• sodisr, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Bake it in the oven at 300 degrees.

The more you cook in it the better it gets. DONT CLEAN IT WITH SOAP OR WATER

Just wipe it out with a dry paper towel

#14 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Do you like bacon? If so, cook up a big batch in that skillet. Bacon grease is the best to use!

Best way I know of is just cook bacon in it. Easy to do and good eating at the same time. Vegetable oil seems to make the cast iron super black and almost has a painted look to it.

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,241 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 08:18 PM

I finished mine. It's super black and looks good. Picked up some new better spatulas to use tonight at bed bath and beyond.
  • Marty'70 said thank you