17 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:19 PM

As the title states,I hope everyone had a great Christmas ! Here is a few pictures of the 68 Suburban with the 52 inch grader blade out back and a 46 inch dozer out front. I just got the dozer in a trade deal earlier this week. I have also started looking over my attachments this week. I think I need to start sandblasting and painting attachments. Anyway,hopefully this setup will help to insure that that we don't get any snow here in the Hoosier an time soon.lol

One a different note,I wasn't happy with the height of the blade in the raised position,as with a lot of brands it was only about 3 inches from the ground. That's OK if you only use it to plow and pull the plow any time you use the tractor for other chores but as I get older,I seem to be getting lazier and like to leave attachments on and still be able to use the tractor for other chores. I did a quick mod,nothing that won't switch right back if needed or wanted. Now the plow is 5 1/2 inches off the ground when in the raised position. almost double the raised height. You can see the difference in the pictures. The outside pictures are before and the last picture is after.

Attached Thumbnails

• 68 sears suburban 12 23 2015.jpg  3.jpg
  • 68 sears suburban 12 23 2015.jpg 5.jpg
  • 68 sears suburban 12 23 2015.jpg 4.jpg
  • 68 sears suburban 12 23 2015.jpg 2.jpg
  • 68 Sears Suburban12 23 2015.jpg

• Alc, KennyP, chris m and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:53 PM

Thanks, Nice looking machine.

Any pictures of the mod? Not too familiar with Suburbans; Would like to try this on the ST/10. The plow seems to like to drag when using the rear mounted tiller on the second pass. Not sure if it is the same setup. Did you just change the length of the lift linkage?

Edited by Bmerf, December 25, 2015 - 10:55 PM.

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 02:50 AM

Nice rig, looks like your helper wants in on the fun too.
  • rustyoldjunk and 637Yeoman have said thanks

#4 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 03:01 AM

I'm not even sure that I would call it a modification.Here are a few pictures. It took about 5 minutes. After a test drive with the plow on,I looked over the linkage and saw this was possible and thought I will try it. Seems to work fine.

The first picture shows the adjustable bolt/washer stop at the bottom of the lift arm on the plow frame and also shows the lower lift bar in the stock hole on the lift tab on the lower plow frame. There is a hole on the plow frame itself below the factory tab.

The next two pictures show the the "stop bolt and washer" removed and the hole at the bottom of the lift lever on the plow frame. You can also see that there is a permanent stop made into the the lift past where the stop bolt was.

The fourth picture shows the permanent stop on the end of the lift assemble better.

The last picture shows the lower lift bar relocated to the lower hole on the lower plow frame.

I had to remove the bolt stop to let the lift lever go forward far enough to get the lower lift bar to reach the lower hole on the frame. The two things you get is more lift when the plow is raised and and it can go down lower in a situation where the ground is lower than the front wheels.

Attached Thumbnails

• sears snow plow.jpg
  • sears snow plow.jpg 2.jpg
  • sears snow plow.jpg 3.jpg
  • sears snow plow.jpg 4.jpg
  • sears snow plow.jpg 5.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, December 26, 2015 - 05:18 AM.

• MH81, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 03:07 AM

Thanks MH. Funny thing about that dog,he absolutely hates that grader blade. As soon as I move with the blade on,he is biting it,barking at it,growling and and he keeps it up until I stop the tractor. It funny to watch while I'm grading with the tractor.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 04:55 AM

Jim, in post 4 your 1st pic and the last one are the same ones. I can edit it for you.

#7 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Kenny I just noticed that and changed it. I deleted it and uploaded the right picture.

Edited by rustyoldjunk, December 26, 2015 - 05:22 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:27 AM

Thanks Kenny I just noticed that and changed it. I deleted it and uploaded the right picture.

Glad you could still edit it. That's a simple fix!

#9 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:38 AM

Me too,because without the last picture you can't really see the difference. Thanks for offering help. One thing about this place,the people running things are good people and are quick to offer a hand if needed,I appreciate that. One more thing that makes this a great place to be.

• Alc, KennyP, Bmerf and 2 others have said thanks

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,383 Thanks
  • 39,650 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 05:53 AM

Jim, we're here to keep the spammers away and to let folks have a great place to talk about their tractors. Fixing things is part of that. That last pic brought together all you were talking about. We're glad to help members with anything to make the posts/threads useful to someone else.

• rustyoldjunk, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#11 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:21 AM

If you been using my calendar you might be a bit behind on Christmas. Go figure a pharmacy😜

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• oldedeeres said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,242 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:34 AM

If you been using my calendar you might be a bit behind on Christmas. Go figure a pharmacy

Never seen B Stock Calendars before.
Hope they got a good deal :D

BTW, that Calendar is still in warranty. Unfortunately, it's a pro rated one.
  • HANKG said thank you

#13 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • Member No: 76789
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:06 PM

I couldn't resist playing in the snow with my Suburban GT, I put his wheel weights back on and took the three point off of my Subota, put it back on this tractor and put the blade on and played for about an hour. I just finished the restoration on this GT so it's a real treat to be back in the seat of this little friend of mine, I just had to put the all of the working stuff back on this tractor. There's no way I can  put it on a shelf and leave it there, these little tractors look anemic without wheel weights and a three point. But it will get very special care taken of it. here are some pics

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00003.JPG
  • DSC00004.JPG
  • DSC00005.JPG
  • DSC00006.JPG
  • DSC00007.JPG
  • DSC00008.JPG

• rustyoldjunk, MH81, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#14 John Arsenault OFFLINE  

John Arsenault
  • Member No: 76279
  • 770 Thanks
  • 509 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Great job on your tractor, I payed attention to much of the build and it has help me along the way with mine. I am glad to see you using this ole steed its to awesome to just look at. 

• Marlin1963 said thank you

#15 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • Member No: 76789
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thank you John that means a lot to me. I enjoyed it, I bought this tractor in 1991 from an older guy and the reason he sold it to me is because he got hurt pretty bad on it. He didn't have any implements hooked on it and his foot slipped off the clutch so he said it went over backwards on him. Poor old guy didn't want anything to do with it after that, but it suffered damage too, it of course broke the hood off of the nose cone so I had to do some work on it, oh and the guy took good care of it, he even kept it spray painted that ugly chromish silver paint, lol. It looked awful and it was only 13 years old and he didn't use masking tape so it had silver tires and everything. I didn't really get a good deal on it I gave him $750.00 for it and three implements.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 68 suburban 12