#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:24 PM

Anyone into the home weather stations?

I mentioned to my mom a few months ago I was looking at the home weather stations. She got me an acurite 5 in 1. Does wind temp humidity rain gauge and something else. I haven't gotten to mess with it much. I temp mounted the sensor to a piece

It tracks the weather. Gives a forecast. Records recor d highs lows and you can connect it to the WiFi and view everything from your computer or mobile device.
  • Alc, KennyP, Traill95 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:39 PM

yeah I bought one for my wife for Christmas. Got via Amazon, wasnt supposed to be here til Monday but got here yesterday.

Even among the brand "Acurite" there were a lot to choose from.  I looked at a different brand (suggested in one of the reviews of an Acurite unit)  and  clouded things even more....  some had the monitor screen and outdoor sensor having to be bought seperate.

Looking at the pic of the one I decided to buy, and seeing it in my hand, that outside sensor portion is huge compared to what it looked like in the picture shown on Amazon. .

• Alc, LilysDad, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,489 Thanks
  • 39,723 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:48 PM

I'd like to have something like that!

• toomanytoys84 and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:54 PM

I bought on about 4 years ago.  Weatherwise Instruments Pro Home Model.  Has the touch screen show a lot on the screen but I use an old computer with XP and a 12" flat monitor.  Use Cumulus software and it show a lot more info than the stations.  Plus all the reading can be adjust for accuracy, like wind speed, rain amount, barometer, etc. etc.  Have replaced the batteries once.  Solar powered.  Found that it is best to position the station at least 50' away from large trees, buildings, etc. for the wind speed and direction to be right.  Have mine on a 10' pipe.  I also put tangle foot in a ring around the pipe about a foot below the station to stop the spiders from build in the rain gauge part and stopping the rocking action.  Would be lost without it.   My entire transmitter is about 12" square and about 10" tall.  Has all four items, wind speed and direction, solar cell, rain gauge, and temp sensor.

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:13 PM

That's quite the setup! Sounds pretty advanced over the store bought models.

The acurite is adjustable for calibration too. Where did you get accurate readings to calibrate it? Weather website?

I had a small old radio shack temp gauge that was mounted to the house when we bought it. I've always used it. I want to play with this one a bit. After I've had it awhile I'll post a review with some pictures in case anyone else is looking for one or interested

Mine is temp mounted off the back porch. I have it about 8' off the ground with now and 15 feet away from the house. Wind is calm.

I was planning on a 12' post mounting it near the max distance from the base station.

This is the one I have but with an extra indoor temp humidity sensor. Plus the web connect WiFi monitoring.

http://m.kohls.com/p...CFZBFNwoditIBXQ

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 25, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

• Bmerf and chieffan have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:39 PM

yeah I bought one for my wife for Christmas. Got via Amazon, wasnt supposed to be here til Monday but got here yesterday.
Even among the brand "Acurite" there were a lot to choose from. I looked at a different brand (suggested in one of the reviews of an Acurite unit) and clouded things even more.... some had the monitor screen and outdoor sensor having to be bought seperate.
Looking at the pic of the one I decided to buy, and seeing it in my hand, that outside sensor portion is huge compared to what it looked like in the picture shown on Amazon. .

Did you get the acurite? The sensor is impressive sized.

I ordered some good batteries for the sensor unit
  • chieffan said thank you

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:02 PM

I bought one several years ago. It was a LaCross if I remember correctly.

It worked fine for a few years then 1 by 1 the different wireless units died.

Each one had a solar cell and an internal battery. The internal battery would die and that was the end of the unit.

I contacted the company and they said they didn't have any luck replacing the batteries so I probably wouldn't either.

I said "Thanks, and I will not buy your brand next time"!

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Did you get the acurite? The sensor is impressive sized.

I ordered some good batteries for the sensor unit

yeah. 1036 A   is the model.    I could give a rat's *** about connecting it to a computer if it isn't absolutely mandatory.
Do these have to be right in line of sight between inside and outside units for them to work? My back yard isn't 50' deep total... I'm on a 95X160 lot and the house sits longways on the lot... I have a clothesline pole like 15' from the kitchen window, was gonna put the outside unit on one of the clothes poles but I'm gonna have to put a "cross" instead of a "tee" in that clothes pole so that I can extend the sensor higher. otherwise any time I get any kind of south wind it will read "calm" because the house will block it. am kinda concerned that even with placement on one of the clothes poles, I have a maple tree in line with the clothes poles (they run easy/west) about 30' from the "near" pole to tree (and directly in line with kitchen window), about 45-50' from the "far" pole that also might screw with accurate readings.  

Was thinking of putting it on the shed roof peak, but it would not be in line with the inside sensor unit.

still won't be 50' from sensor even at that.

I tend to stay off the house roof as much as possible ever since I put up the metal (instead of shingle) roof. 

Edited by dodge trucker, December 25, 2015 - 10:41 PM.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:21 AM

To answer a couple questions without a lot of extra space used up:  I get my readings for current conditions from the State DOT.  They have a unit about 12 miles from me along US#34, both directions.  Get wind info from them along with temp and barometer.  Local radio station give that info too but have to catch it when your at the read out to really set it up close.  For rain I used 2 standard rain gauges and set it to them.

As for line of sight, depends on the unit I think.  I had a LaCross for the first one.  Lasted a year.  Line of sight is best but not really necessary.  Just have to experiment and see where it works best.  dodge trucker your right by not putting it on your steel roof as the steel would cut your range down considerably.  I have my read out sitting on the floor leaning against the outside wall out of the way.  Unit is supposed to have a 300' range but never tried it that far.  Have moved it a couple times due to trees growing.  When I got this new computer a couple years ago is when I put the unit out the South side on the pole and the old computer and receiver is inside the window on the same side.  Works out good.  The paperwork with the unit should tell you which software program it will work with.  Cumulus is real universal as it asked which unit you have when you set it up.  Get a whole lot more information that the supplied read out don't give, like a whole screen full.  Plus you can put the last time period you select into graph from for several reading like the temp, wind, etc.  Best part is it is a free program and has some support with it.

www.sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus

Checked mine this morning and it changes date at midnight.  Last 24 hr. we had .07" of rain, last hour have had .04"  Temp is 34.5° F and trend is ^ 1.5° per hour.  Etc., etc.,  Enjoy your weather stations guys and gals,  We sure like ours and look at it a lot during the day.

Edited by chieffan, December 26, 2015 - 08:39 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 10:19 AM

I use this one at work for our storm water paperwork.

cocorahs.org

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:48 PM

I picked up lithium batteries tongith at target to replace the old alkalines I stuck in there.

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:43 PM

My anemometer froze up this afternoon.  Has drizzle here all day with a light SE wind.  Temp was right at 32-33.  Wind died to change to the Ne and the anemometer froze up.  going to have to spray it down good with silicone once again.  Blowing pretty good as can hear it inside and tree limb are shaking.  Talking freezing rain, sleet turning to mixed rain and snow later Sunday night and Monday.  Going to pick up a couple items in the morning and then stay home till things get better for a couple days.

Went to bed around 9:30 and the wind speed was registering then so came loose on its own.  Still need to spray it down to keep the water from sticking around the base.

Edited by chieffan, December 27, 2015 - 08:19 AM.