jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Refilled and ran it back and forth down the lane for about 45 minutes. I was cold and stiff even in Carhart bibs and winter coat. Wind was still harsh. However the drainage came out looking more like oil today :bounce:

Then took Zippy1's idea, thanks :thumbs:

SANY0035.JPG

Not very lady-like all trussed up with backside hanging out, but I've been having trouble getting inside pushing rags with dowel pins to get the puddles out...

• olcowhand, KennyP and zippy1 have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:10 PM

That should let her drain!

• jpackard56 said thank you

#18 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 30, 2015 - 12:18 AM

Yes sir, that'll get er' done. :thumbs:

Refilled and ran it back and forth down the lane for about 45 minutes. I was cold and stiff even in Carhart bibs and winter coat. Wind was still harsh. However the drainage came out looking more like oil today :bounce:

Then took Zippy1's idea, thanks :thumbs:

attachicon.gifSANY0035.JPG

Not very lady-like all trussed up with backside hanging out, but I've been having trouble getting inside pushing rags with dowel pins to get the puddles out...

#19 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 01:32 AM

Well this last flushing and draining everything is really looking much better. So I decided it was time to pull an axle housing and shaft off to see whats happening in there. Chose the right because the brake is on the left and I've never pulled one of this style before, so wasn't sure how involved it was, actually was very simple and straight forward.

IMG_20151231_164933.jpg

Ughh ! Looks like this maybe a full tear-down before I'm happy with it, just like Boyscout said upfront. How in the world does this much water get into these rear axles, I don't see any breather or openings that would let rain or snow in ? None of my "newer" Cubs, the 100, 122, 108's, 782, in fact none that I have worked on have been anything other than dirty or low on fluid. This one is a mess. Is it just a "O" issue ?

But it will wait a few days now. All my boys are coming home this weekend to celebrate Christmas and to help on some of the heavier projects I haven't been able to do. :dancingbanana:

The "O" I can putter on next week without their muscle .

• olcowhand, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,503 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 05:00 AM

Yuk!

#21 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9495
  • 393 Thanks
  • 278 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 09:36 AM

Well this last flushing and draining everything is really looking much better. So I decided it was time to pull an axle housing and shaft off to see whats happening in there. Chose the right because the brake is on the left and I've never pulled one of this style before, so wasn't sure how involved it was, actually was very simple and straight forward.

attachicon.gifIMG_20151231_164933.jpg

Ughh ! Looks like this maybe a full tear-down before I'm happy with it, just like Boyscout said upfront. How in the world does this much water get into these rear axles, I don't see any breather or openings that would let rain or snow in ? None of my "newer" Cubs, the 100, 122, 108's, 782, in fact none that I have worked on have been anything other than dirty or low on fluid. This one is a mess. Is it just a "O" issue ?

But it will wait a few days now. All my boys are coming home this weekend to celebrate Christmas and to help on some of the heavier projects I haven't been able to do. :dancingbanana:

The "O" I can putter on next week without their muscle .

Yeah that looks terrible BUT, it could be worse!!! Over the years the ones I have heard with that much water have sat outside and it sure makes a mess out of things....

#22 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:08 AM

Jim they do have breather's, in your case for the "O" it is under your seat spring mounting hardware. Original, 70/100, 71,72 & 73 are prone to taking on water if left out in the elements, 102 and up have the standard fender pan and less prone to taking on water unless in a flood...like my 122 ... flood victim. The breather is a man-made stone type material kinda like the old fuel filters found in vintage auto's. Our rearend breather's are flush with the casting and not a typical rearend breather found on automotive axles.

Enjoy your time with the boys! Happy New Year!
  • KennyP and jpackard56 have said thanks

#23 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:39 AM

I went out and took this pic of a 107, only differ from your "O" is the two drill and tapped holes on each side of the breather.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160102_092350.jpg

#24 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 12:21 AM

That what you're seeing in the axle tube looks like it's a combination of oil from a bad axle seal and years of dirt and some condensation... There shouldn't be anything coming in those axle tubes from the diff. Make sure your drain holes are open, and order a couple new axle seals and they should remain dry at least.

I just finished a 61 "O" top to bottom, front to back every nut and bolt facelift, and yeah you'll get that on them big jobs. :thumbs:

• jpackard56 and BNK have said thanks

#25 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:15 PM

I went out and took this pic of a 107, only differ from your "O" is the two drill and tapped holes on each side of the breather.

Excellent Info. Thanks !

#26 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Well the kids all had to head out to get home to go back to work tomorrow, had a fantastic weekend with everybody. Late afternoon I was really depressed with the house so quiet so I bundled up and went out to dig some more into the "O".

IMG_20160103_104730.jpg

More goo...

IMG_20160103_105241.jpg

and some more...

IMG_20160103_105609.jpg

I'm thinking with the scaring of the bearing cup that this poor "O" was not well loved by at least one of it's multiple previous owners...

Those pits are old, not just from the time I've had this unit...

IMG_20160103_111102.jpg

This goo is in every component I check...

I guess I am very fortunate that the engine was so good !! fresh oil, new plug, cleaned carb, swapped tanks (somebody had patched it---but it leaked like a sieve !), new filter and it runs very nice :dancingbanana: In fact so good that I never expected this mess in the trans-axle.

Kevin, thanks again for the info. on the breathers on Cubs, I've not had the seat off this one yet and it is the first "O" that I've fooled with, so I had not seen the breather. Makes sense that it had to have one I just hadn't found it yet. (thought it might be buried under the numerous layers of paint and grease)

For those of you that have done these, can the bearings, seals and such be cross-referenced at local stores reasonably ?

• zippy1 said thank you

#27 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 08:11 PM

My son has an "O" that he bought at an auction as a basket case about 6 years ago while he was still in High school.

At the time I fired up the engine before we pulled all the tin off for paint.  He is just now finally almost done with a complete restoration.

has just a few minor details left.

Anyways, while he was still in high school and going to the career center (he took machine shop, which the career center has since discontinued, what a shame)  but he had free rein in there, and access to lathes and mills and more.  it was while he was in this class that he took the side housings off of his transmission and found the internal brake saturated along with the oil seals and axle bushings "shot"; the axle bushings were so shot, that the axles had grooves worn into them;

being the access to tooling he had, and figuring that parts would be made of unobtanium, he took the axles to the weld shop at the career center and had them built up in the grooved section then turned them back down smooth again along with replacing the bad seals and bushings. That was the only Cub transmission that I have ever seen the inside of, and it was quite clean inside.  I wonder what kind of paint that red oxide stuff inside is? I doubt it is just a "primer"

Edited by dodge trucker, January 03, 2016 - 08:12 PM.

• jpackard56 and BNK have said thanks

#28 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 01:48 AM

Well the kids all had to head out to get home to go back to work tomorrow, had a fantastic weekend with everybody. Late afternoon I was really depressed with the house so quiet so I bundled up and went out to dig some more into the "O".

attachicon.gifIMG_20160103_104730.jpg

More goo...

attachicon.gifIMG_20160103_105241.jpg

and some more...

attachicon.gifIMG_20160103_105609.jpg

I'm thinking with the scaring of the bearing cup that this poor "O" was not well loved by at least one of it's multiple previous owners...

Those pits are old, not just from the time I've had this unit...

attachicon.gifIMG_20160103_111102.jpg

This goo is in every component I check...

I guess I am very fortunate that the engine was so good !! fresh oil, new plug, cleaned carb, swapped tanks (somebody had patched it---but it leaked like a sieve !), new filter and it runs very nice :dancingbanana: In fact so good that I never expected this mess in the trans-axle.

Don't sweat the axles. It'll all be fine once you get new seals installed. Oil won't be getting in the tubes...

Kevin, thanks again for the info. on the breathers on Cubs, I've not had the seat off this one yet and it is the first "O" that I've fooled with, so I had not seen the breather. The breather isn't that big a deal, it'll let a little water in but not much, it's design was to let air escape the diff, but air will also escape by the sfift handle... Makes sense that it had to have one I just hadn't found it yet. (thought it might be buried under the numerous layers of paint and grease)

Another thing of interest is your outer axial "bearings" mine were worn through the upper portion and wearing into the tubes themselves, making them egg shapped. Was a pretty easy fix. I ordered  new "bearings" centered them into the axle tube location and filled the open area between the tube and "bearing" with J.B. WELD...

Seemed to have worked great. I, got the idea from a fellow forum member over on the other site. If you want pictures let me know, because I documented every nut and bolt on this tractor and took plenty of pictures of the build...

For those of you that have done these, can the bearings, seals and such be cross-referenced at local stores reasonably ?

Edited by zippy1, January 04, 2016 - 12:25 PM.

#29 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Wow Jim...looks like you split your tractor, the last pic you posted looks like the gear reduction housing? I have a good one if you need it just pay the shipping, it is already boxed up in a USPS flat rate box. Item was removed from a early 62 ser# 26XXX, will come with the reduction gear too ( or as Georg would put it..."tooth wheel")...lol!
  • jpackard56 and EricR have said thanks

#30 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 04, 2016 - 12:00 PM

Wow Jim...looks like you split your tractor, the last pic you posted looks like the gear reduction housing? I have a good one if you need it just pay the shipping, it is already boxed up in a USPS flat rate box. Item was removed from a early 62 ser# 26XXX, will come with the reduction gear too ( or as Georg would put it..."tooth wheel")...lol!

PM sent.  I was hoping to keep this one all together and mobile, but it was too full of goop to let it go. Course the "cheap it out" side of me keeps saying "hey its only gonna do 3-4 mph once in a while, it's not like an axle snapping at 65 with a load on"  or " hanging a guy over the side of a hill on a cable" like everything else I work with....

• EricR and BNK have said thanks